• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Subtitle newbie question

svhyd

I just ripped a BD to hard drive using AnyDVD HD. I see a bunch of folders on the hard drive. I can play all video files from the STREAM folder after connecting to the USB interface of my standalone LG Blu-ray player.

Questions:

1. What about the other folders that were created by AnyDVD HD. Can I delete those?

2. How do I make my blu-ray player see the subtitles files on the hard drive? Does AnyDVD HD also rip/create the subtitles in a different folder?

The subtitles are embedded in the m2ts file, so if you want to be able to see them you have to play it as proper Blu-ray structure and not just the m2ts file. You will also find that on seamless branching titles the movie is not just 1 file which is going to make it a real pain for you to play back one of those films as the file numbers for playback are not always in order

Adbear, thanks a lot for the info!

If I may trouble you with some more questions.

How do I play Blu-ray content from hard drive as a Blu-ray disc and not individual files (m2ts)? Is there a way to do this using a player like VLC at least on a computer? Then connect to TV via HDMI (this is what I wanted to avoid).

I was going to rip the Blu-ray disc as an image to the hard drive but then I cannot play that image when connected to TV or Blu-ray player just like a Blu-ray disc? Or can I?

I wish there was an easy/cheap way to burn a Blu-ray image to a blank Blu-ray disc? Do people do this btw?

Adbear, thanks a lot for the info!

If I may trouble you with some more questions.

How do I play Blu-ray content from hard drive as a Blu-ray disc and not individual files (m2ts)?

Create an ISO, either from your original disc or the files on your HD, and mount the image file in virtual drive software. Now Windows sees a disc structure.

Is there a way to do this using a player like VLC at least on a computer?

VCL has problems playing Blurays. You need a better software player, there are free ones that are better and there are pay ones.

I was going to rip the Blu-ray disc as an image to the hard drive but then I cannot play that image when connected to TV or Blu-ray player just like a Blu-ray disc? Or can I?

The devs have repeatedly said to rip BDs to image, not to files/folders.

If you can play back an original BD on your setup then you can most certainly play back an image as long as the image file is mounted in virtual drive software. Software such as the free Virtual CloneDrive.

Thanks for the additional info.

I guess my real question is can you play the ISO from hard disk directly connected to a TV or a standalone Blu-ray player with a USB/disk interface (without needing a computer and the Virtual Clone Drive software).

Not to be disrespectful, but all the information you need is already here. You need to look around and do some searching.

If you will take time to understand "iso" and utilize Virtual Clonedrive you will be almost there. You will need sophisticated hardware to play Blu-ray and see and hear the way it was meant to be seen and heard.

Go ahead and insert disk into your BD-Rom or whatever, wait for AnyDVD to finish looking and doing its thing. Click on ok.

In the Icon area of the desk top (you may have to unhide icons) just right click on the fox, Select "Rip to Image" , check the folder for where you want it to be saved and wait about an hour.

Install Virtual Clonedrive. Right click on the NEW iso (movieTitle.iso} you just ripped and mount using virtual clone. The movie will show up in "computer" and then play it with whatever software you use.

doc-ripitt, I do understand ISO and also know how virtual CDs work.

I already did a lot of searching on these forums on how to play subtitles from Blu-ray content backed up to hard drive. I have a 4 TB hard drive and I want to backup all my BDs and DVDs there and watch the movies directly on my HD TV using just a remote to browse through the Blu-ray content and play. No, I have no interest playing the ISO back using Virtual CloneDrive on a computer when my whole goal is play them on TV directly from the hard drive. I guess is answer is no.

I'll try creating a BD ISO tonight and see if by Blu-ray player recognizes/plays it from the hard drive.

Thanks for trying to help, though.

I already did a lot of searching on these forums on how to play subtitles from Blu-ray content backed up to hard drive. I have a 4 TB hard drive and I want to backup all my BDs and DVDs there and watch the movies directly on my HD TV using just a remote to browse through the Blu-ray content and play. No, I have no interest playing the ISO back using Virtual CloneDrive on a computer when my whole goal is play them on TV directly from the hard drive. I guess is answer is no.

I'll try creating a BD ISO tonight and see if by Blu-ray player recognizes/plays it from the hard drive.
No, that probably won't work; most TVs and stand-alone BD players will not recognize BD ISOs. You'll have to either connect your PC to your TV (preferably via HDMI thru an A/V receiver) or get an external media player that will read BD ISOs.

Thanks for trying to help, though.

Ok. good. You will need (should have) a dedicated HTPC to do what you want to do. Note that if you want to keep the lossless audio from the BD, you will have to have a very good video card that will pass through the audio, since the lossless component is only carried on the HDMI cable. I could be wrong about this since I built my HTPC about 2/12 years ago, and it was that way then.

The subtitles are embedded in the m2ts file, so if you want to be able to see them you have to play it as proper Blu-ray structure and not just the m2ts file. You will also find that on seamless branching titles the movie is not just 1 file which is going to make it a real pain for you to play back one of those films as the file numbers for playback are not always in order

Couldn't he also do his playing from the mpls files in the playlist folder? That way he should have access to audio and subtitle options & the playlist will run all the video files if there are multiples. Of course if he tries to play one of those convoluted Lionsgate or Summit titles with multiple playlists intended to confuse folks, he would have to figure out which playlist to run. I find BDInfo to be useful to examine playlist files contents.

Couldn't he also do his playing from the mpls files in the playlist folder? That way he should have access to audio and subtitle options & the playlist will run all the video files if there are multiples. Of course if he tries to play one of those convoluted Lionsgate or Summit titles with multiple playlists intended to confuse folks, he would have to figure out which playlist to run. I find BDInfo to be useful to examine playlist files contents.
He could try, but I've not seen a LG TV or Blu-ray player that let's you play back the MPLS file from a USB attached harddrive

Back