• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Subscription for new purchases and possibly future products for repeat customers as well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully we can agree that there is no quick and easy answer to the topic of pricing, licensing, software maintenance, and so on and so forth.

Yes! I'm a new guy who has yet to purchase, however, I've seen this subscription based versus "lifetime" payment discussion numbers of times. While people argue their various subjective points, very rarely do they see it from an actual cost at the most basic level and they almost never consider how the product they expect to perform perfectly one hundred percent of the time can do so without new influx of revenue.

It all boils down to a simple question, is the subscription cost reasonable enough for the potential customer to realize they're getting a fair deal. The problem comes when the customer sees the figure as a whole number and not what they're actually getting as a result of spending what seems like a lot of money.

For AnyStream, you get 2 years for $135.00 dollars, give or take a few cents with the conversion. And I'm sure everyone will agree that if you're going to buy a product like AnyStream, you have the intention of using it.

If a User averages just one movie, or one series episode, per day, for the life of the subscription, that's 730 downloads, at an extrapolated cost of $0.18 per, resulting in those files now being yours.

Not only does that $0.18 give you ownership, it insures you can perform these downloads at your convenience because the software is being maintained, with updates issued when necessary in a timely fashion. Yes, I know that DRM changes can cause the definition of "timely" to be frustrating for Users, but unfortunately, "this is the business we've chosen."

Now again, I have yet to purchase AnyStream, but I am familiar with software of this type, and in my humble opinion, $135.00 for a two year subscription seems very reasonable at 18 cents a pop, or maybe less since while you may not download every day, when you do, you're probably going to download more than one.

Last edited:
Yes! I'm a new guy who has yet to purchase, however, I've seen this subscription based versus "lifetime" payment discussion numbers of times. While people argue their various subjective points, very rarely do they see it from an actual cost at the most basic level and they almost never consider how the product they expect to perform perfectly one hundred percent of the time can do so without new influx of revenue.

It all boils down to a simple question, is the subscription cost reasonable enough for the potential customer to realize they're getting a fair deal. The problem comes when the customer sees the figure as a whole number and not what they're actually getting as a result of spending what seems like a lot of money.

For AnyStream, you get 2 years for $135.00 dollars, give or take a few cents with the conversion. And I'm sure everyone will agree that if you're going to buy a product like AnyStream, you have the intention of using it.

If a User averages just one movie, or one series episode, per day, for the life of the subscription, that's 730 downloads, at an extrapolated cost of $0.18 per, resulting in that file now being yours.

Not only does that $0.18 give you ownership, it insures you can perform these downloads at your convenience because the software is being maintained, with updates issued when necessary in a timely fashion. Yes, I know that DRM changes can cause the definition of "timely" to be frustrating for Users, but unfortunately, "this is the business we've chosen."

Now again, I have yet to purchase AnyStream, but I am familiar with software of this type, and in my humble opinion, $135.00 for a two year subscription seems very reasonable at 18 cents a pop.
the problem is not in the subscription as such, but in the fact that nowadays it is for almost everything and when it is added up, it is more expensive for the customer than a permanent license or a movie on bluray-DVD

it is more expensive for the customer than a permanent license

Rational buyers seek to pay as little as possible, but not all buyers' needs are the same.

SpeechIsntFree suggests that maintenance requires work today and in the future.

Rational buyers seek to pay as little as possible, but not all buyers' needs are the same.

SpeechIsntFree suggests that maintenance requires work today and in the future.
I grew up and lived in a time when subscriptions basically did not exist, this time was much better than today

@Lukas

As long as you're looking for the better deal as a buyer, let's say that AnyStream is $100 per year. What is the minimum price that a lifetime subscription is no longer worth the money?

I hope it's total obvious that $100 for a year is better than $10,000 for a lifetime [=100 years at $100]. The lifetime subscription is also a bad deal at $5,000. How about $2,000? How low before the lifetime is an attractive deal?

@Lukas

As long as you're looking for the better deal as a buyer, let's say that AnyStream is $100 per year. What is the minimum price that a lifetime subscription is no longer worth the money?

I hope it's total obvious that $100 for a year is better than $10,000 for a lifetime [=100 years at $100]. The lifetime subscription is also a bad deal at $5,000. How about $2,000? How low before the lifetime is an attractive deal?
on the one hand, it is difficult to determine, on the other hand, as I said earlier, subscriptions did not exist and companies creating software, movies, games also worked so that, in general, with the exception of REDFOX, I understand, but in general, the subscription model is nonsense, especially for corporations

I dont understand the premise of this post, is the argument against crypto, subscriptions, or is redfox starting to bill lifetime customers and cancelling their lifetime license?

I dont understand the premise of this post, is the argument against crypto, subscriptions, or is redfox starting to bill lifetime customers and cancelling their lifetime license?

It was already announced that lifetime subscribers will continue as always and going forward only subscriptions would be available for new purchases.

So not the third item there.

I think Lukas' concern is about the prevalence of subscription-only software in general, not just at Redfox -- and the added cost that presents to the average consumer.

And he mentioned in addition part of his own difficulty with the subscription model at Redfox is the need to regularly use crypto, which is hard to do in the country where he lives.

T

Last edited:

testiles is correct that Ivan suggested that RedFox lifetime licenses would be honored going forward, which are not to be confused with the SlySoft lifetime licenses that were sold before c. 2016.

See this post authored by Ivan:

Code:
https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/license-and-price-changes-anystream-anydvd.89287/

No more lifetime (implemented 2024-02-19)
We will no longer sell lifetime licenses of AnyDVD and AnyStream anymore, only 1 year or 2 year licenses. Existing lifetime licenses will not be affected by this.

the essence of this post is a simple annoyance from the subscription with everything and the crown is put on it at the moment when REDFOX announced that it does not accept payment cards, but in this case it is not so much about REDFOX, it is about the fact that the subscription is, when you have most of the services, firstly, an expensive matter, secondly, slavery slavery in the sense that you don't pay every month, you don't have NETFLIX, etc

Where do you live? Here in the US you would be paid every month for your work.
in Europe, subscription is not a priority for us, we have other priorities and other professions than wasting money on political slavery, so the majority of us older people

and do you think the house can't be bought either?
Life is a rental.
you know, we've been operating here from a software perspective for 40 years without a subscription, see Windows for example, and suddenly everyone is pushing for a subscription? that's suspicious don't you think?
Many if not most programs have switched to a subscription model in the last several years due to corporate greed, but I don't believe that's the case here. RedFox is a small business with a small team working continuously against ridiculously difficult and tedious DRM. I bought a lifetime subscription to AnyDVD HD immediately after RedFox launched (I happened to discover it during the transition from SlySoft and so had to wait to buy it) and then bought a lifetime subscription to AnyStream Plus as soon as it was available. I've always considered them an excellent value and am happy to have locked in lifetime licenses, but I'm not surprised they've gone to subscription and wouldn't mind paying for one if I didn't already have lifetime. Also, there are various free tools (such as those in TPD94's CDM Project) for those willing to do a bit more work themselves (and for discs, MakeMKV is free and very easy to use).

Life is a rental.

Many if not most programs have switched to a subscription model in the last several years due to corporate greed, but I don't believe that's the case here. RedFox is a small business with a small team working continuously against ridiculously difficult and tedious DRM. I bought a lifetime subscription to AnyDVD HD immediately after RedFox launched (I happened to discover it during the transition from SlySoft and so had to wait to buy it) and then bought a lifetime subscription to AnyStream Plus as soon as it was available. I've always considered them an excellent value and am happy to have locked in lifetime licenses, but I'm not surprised they've gone to subscription and wouldn't mind paying for one if I didn't already have lifetime. Also, there are various free tools (such as those in TPD94's CDM Project) for those willing to do a bit more work themselves (and for discs, MakeMKV is free and very easy to use).
A side note: While MakeMKV is FREE while it's in beta form, the developer appreciates it if anyone can chip in and purchase a lifetime license when they have the time (and money.)

Back to the license issue: I'm not too pleased that Microsoft is going with the subscription model with their profitable Office Suite, but you can still purchase a permanent license for MS Office if you wish, but the price increases the more products that you buy from Microsoft, as in Word, Power Point, Excel, Outlook, Access, etc. all add up to over $100 or so.

You are correct, @Sodium Hypobromite with the fact that the RedFox Project is a small operation, and they need funds to stay afloat. I'm happy that they've honored the lifetime licenses for AnyDVD and AnyStream Plus when they were available (and I wisely bought lifetime licenses for both), so as long as the RedFox Project is in existence, we, the customer, can be as happy as a clam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back