• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Storing movies to an external hard drive

Tom.W

So far Ive been using,successfully, Any DVD and clone DVD to burn copy's of DVDs. I would like to instead store the movies on an external drive to watch later. Sorry but I'm computer challenged :bang: Can someone explain how to do this in simple steps ? Best file type,what external drive directory path ect...

Thanks a bunch ! :bowdown:

Tom

On the Output tile of CloneDVD, instead of sending the data to the DVD writer, click on ISO/UDF Image. It'll then copy all of the files off the disc, package it all up nice into one .iso file. The .iso file will be a copy of your disc, and will be ~4.35GBs if you chose the DVD-5 option, or ~9GBs for the DVD-9 option. Then all you'll have to do is mount the iso file (using Virtual CloneDrive or PowerISO or any other similar program) and it'll work as if you just put the disc into your computer. Some programs, like VLC Player, will let you open the iso & play its contents without mounting. You should be able to use your prefered DVD burning software to then burn the iso (possibly called image) later if you prefer to have a physical backup as well.

Depending on the program you chose to play the discs back, you may want to chose DVD Files instead of ISO Image on Clone DVD's output tile. Rather than collecting everything into one nice .iso file, you'll get a VIDEO_TS folder & all the various .vob, .ts, etc files you'd find if you opened the disc through My Computer... I'm pretty sure Windows Media Center likes it this way. Just make a C:/My Movies folder, tell CloneDVD to copy to that folder.. Go into WMC's settings & tell it your video library is there. Then when you click "Play DVDs" you should get a listing of all the titles you've got in there & clicking on one will start it up just like if the disc was inserted.

Another method that may work for you, again, depending on how you plan to use your library, would be to use Clone DVD Mobile. You can use it to rip the movie (&/or additional features) to your computer in various formats. These files will generally be smaller in size than the entire DVD image from above, so you'll be able to store more movies in the same space. You can also opt to select a format that'll work with various game consoles (XBox, PS3), smartphone, etc so you could watch your library on the go as well.

So far Ive been using,successfully, Any DVD and clone DVD to burn copy's of DVDs. I would like to instead store the movies on an external drive to watch later. Sorry but I'm computer challenged :bang: Can someone explain how to do this in simple steps ? Best file type,what external drive directory path ect...

Thanks a bunch ! :bowdown:

Tom

Might be late in reply but do you just want the movie itself or the ability to playback the ISO format and mount it as a virtual dvd and get all the options included in it? But if you just want movies just use the AnyDVD " Rip video DVD to harddisk" feature to just get the movie itself but if you use the Rip to Image will give you a ISO output file that you can if you wish burn back to the same DVD5 or DVD9 format for a backup movie. But to burn back the ISO format would require CloneCD or CloneDVD or (free)Imgburn to burn back to equal size format on the ISO format. But from the sounds of it you might be good off just "Rip video DVD to hard" option so it will just be the movie by itself. But you should give it a test and see how you like it to see if the ISO or movie format works best for you.

Thanks for all the help guys ! Ok I have the ISO files on my hard drive and they play back perfectly on my computer but what are you guys using to output the hard drive directly to your HDTV and audio system ?

Last edited:
I use an HTPC with PowerDVD on it.

-W

What form of signal are you inputting to the display ? In my case it is either HDMI or component to a Samsung plasma...

My display accepts a VGA input so I took the short cut. But there's no reason you couldn't use HDMI either.

-W

Back