• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Speedmenu and region code removal

bruce73

When I mounted an ISO with VCD, I unwittingly said it was region free on the prompt when in fact it is Region B. So I got the red warning page. I remounted, chose Region B, and it still wouldn't play. I enabled Speedmenu and it loaded up fine.

What's the reason that AnyDVD wouldn't remove the region code by itself, but would with Speedmenu enabled? Would my first saying the ISO was region free have something to do with it (i.e. is that red warning page cached or something)?

When I mounted an ISO with VCD, I unwittingly said it was region free on the prompt when in fact it is Region B. So I got the red warning page. I remounted, chose Region B, and it still wouldn't play. I enabled Speedmenu and it loaded up fine.

What's the reason that AnyDVD wouldn't remove the region code by itself, but would with Speedmenu enabled? Would my first saying the ISO was region free have something to do with it (i.e. is that red warning page cached or something)?

With speedmenu the region check on the disc won't be executed.

What's the reason that AnyDVD wouldn't remove the region code by itself
It will, if you correctly specify the region of the *disc* when asked.
The disc region of the disc can't be determined programatically, it has no "I am a region B disc" value, and AnyDVD can't read the printing on the disc label.

It will, if you correctly specify the region of the *disc* when asked.
The disc region of the disc can't be determined programatically, it has no "I am a region B disc" value, and AnyDVD can't read the printing on the disc label.
Also, once you've answered the region pop-up the ONLY way to PERMANENTLY change your answer is to switch to "Ask every time" and then answer the pop-up correctly. Manually setting the region in Settings overrides it THAT time, but once you go back to the default "Automatic" it reverts to the stored answer from the last pop-up.

Also, once you've answered the region pop-up the ONLY way to PERMANENTLY change your answer is to switch to "Ask every time" and then answer the pop-up correctly. Manually setting the region in Settings overrides it THAT time, but once you go back to the default "Automatic" it reverts to the stored answer from the last pop-up.

Right, I did do that (change to "ask me every time" and answering 'B') and it still didn't remove it. I double-checked on another machine, same thing. I ran the folder through BD Region Code Remover and it gave an error: "count cannot be less than zero." Would this be an issue with how the disc was authored or ripped?

It shouldn't ... and in the past it didn't. And I doubt that it does, are you sure?

It shouldn't ... and in the past it didn't. And I doubt that it does, are you sure?
Yes, I'm sure; I tested it myself several versions back. (I do it regularly on Fox/MGM U.S. titles, which since late 2010 are usually marked Region A but actually region-free, though there are exceptions.)

Perhaps you misread me; I was talking about selecting Region A, B or C on the Settings tab, rather than selecting "Automatic" or "Ask every time" and picking the region via pop-up. If you pick it in Settings & then insert the disc, it follows Settings; but once you go back to "Automatic" it goes back to the region stored in the last pop-up (i.e., before you used Settings). Once you set it via pop-up (whether in "Automatic" or "Ask every time"), you must use "Ask every time" to change the stored region.

Last edited:
you must use "Ask every time" to change the stored region.

Ok, that's correct and that's how it is designed to work.

Otherwise people would mess up their auto-stored region codes for all discs, if carelessly set fixed to one region. That mode is only meant for those, who "usually" have discs from a fixed region and still want to force them region free (therefore this is rarely used).

Change Region from B to A

My wife bought the TinTin Blu-rays which are region B.
I want to create copies that a Region A or with no Region so the kids can play them on my Oppo BDP-95.

I have tried changing the "Remove Blu-Ray code to: Region A and the status shows this:

Summary for drive E: (AnyDVD HD 7.0.2.0, BDPHash.bin 12-03-09-A)
HL-DT-ST BD-REWH10LS30 1.00 070524109DA6M75825
Drive (Hardware) Region: 0 (not set!)

Current profile: BD-ROM
Media is a Blu-ray disc.

Total size: 23535072 sectors (45966 MBytes)
Video Blu-ray label: TINTIN
Media is AACS protected!
AACS MKB version 21
Removed AACS copy protection!
Determined region(s): B
Blu-ray disc Region set to A!
Blu-ray standard region lock adjusted to Region A!

The problem is after I rip to an ISO and burn the new copy, it remains Region B.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Rich

My wife bought the TinTin Blu-rays which are region B.
I want to create copies that a Region A or with no Region so the kids can play them on my Oppo BDP-95.

I have tried changing the "Remove Blu-Ray code to: Region A and the status shows this:

Media is a Blu-ray disc.

Total size: 23535072 sectors (45966 MBytes)
Media is AACS protected!
AACS MKB version 21
Blu-ray disc Region set to A!
Blu-ray standard region lock adjusted to Region A!

The problem is after I rip to an ISO and burn the new copy, it remains Region B.

What am I doing wrong?

Ok, it seems you misunderstood how the region code removal works.
By doing what you did, you rendered the copy unplayable in ANY region.

NEVER, EVER use the region code removal setting "Region A/B/C". That is only for very specific cases.
Actually, we really should remove those options completely, as only trouble comes of them.

Setting region code removal to "automatic" would have done exactly what you wanted: the result would be effectively region free.

Generally: set region code removal to automatic. If AnyDVD requires your input to render the disc region free, you will be prompted for the region of the disc. Then simply tell AnyDVD, which region the disc is really from (NOT required in your case) and all will be good.

The purpose of specifying region x is that the disc from then on will always "think" it is running in a player of that region - regardless of the actual region.

Ok, it seems you misunderstood how the region code removal works.
By doing what you did, you rendered the copy unplayable in ANY region.

NEVER, EVER use the region code removal setting "Region A/B/C". That is only for very specific cases.
Actually, we really should remove those options completely, as only trouble comes of them.

Setting region code removal to "automatic" would have done exactly what you wanted: the result would be effectively region free.

Generally: set region code removal to automatic. If AnyDVD requires your input to render the disc region free, you will be prompted for the region of the disc. Then simply tell AnyDVD, which region the disc is really from (NOT required in your case) and all will be good.

The purpose of specifying region x is that the disc from then on will always "think" it is running in a player of that region - regardless of the actual region.

OK, I think I did that but I will try it again.
Do I need any other settings like "Remove Phohibited Operations" to get a regiion free copy?

Thanks,

Rich

OK, I think I did that but I will try it again.

No, what you wrote, that you did was:

"I have tried changing the "Remove Blu-Ray code to: Region A".

But that's exactly the wrong thing to do.
The disc is region B, not A. (red = BAD, green = good).

Note: if you once before set AnyDVD to "Always ask for region code of inserted disc" and then gave the wrong answer (like "A"), from then on "automatic" will also choose the wrong region, because it will trust, what you answered back then, was correct.

So, verify the status window. The letter it was "set to" should match the one that was "determined", then everything is ok.

Do I need any other settings like "Remove Phohibited Operations" to get a regiion free copy?

No.

I think I used automatic on the first try.
I think I got it now :)

I am ripping again with Automatic and here is the status window:

Media is a Blu-ray disc.

Total size: 15260128 sectors (29804 MBytes)
Media is AACS protected!
AACS MKB version 21
Blu-ray disc Region set to B!
Blu-ray standard region lock adjusted to Region B!
Removed UOPs!

I picked a disk that I have not tried yet in case the BDP-95 is remembering somthing.

Thanks,

Rich

Note: if you once before set AnyDVD to "Always ask for region code of inserted disc" and then gave the wrong answer (like "A"), from then on "automatic" will also choose the wrong region, because it will trust, what you answered back then, was correct.

Does this apply only to the BD that had the wrong region given to it, or to all BD discs afterwards? Is there anyway to "reset" AnyDVD to automatically stop using a wrongly supplied region code?

Does this apply only to the BD that had the wrong region given to it, or to all BD discs afterwards?

Only the one, of course.

Is there anyway to "reset" AnyDVD to automatically stop using a wrongly supplied region code?

Yes, set to always ask again (temporarily), insert that disc and give correct answer.

Maybe this topic does deserve - yet - another sticky.

Back