• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Something odd new to me

jpmccusa

Something odd new to me --- Update for 6.6.0.4

If the changes in AI & Ripper in 6.6.0.4 were designed to work with the problems of this disc mentioned in my last post in this thread, I'm afraid that the same difficulties arise.

I have had problems making a backup of the Thai DVD "Karbat" (that's the spelling on the cover, though the correct spelling is "Krabat"). Trying to make a file to copy would freeze up the computer at about 96% of the scan...and VSO inspector would freeze up, too. Eventually, I used VOBBlanker with it and discovered that there are 4 dummy chapters at the end of the film proper, and that if I blanked them, I could make a file to work with. Only in this way could I make a copy. I think I attached the logfile, but here's the SETTING stuff (which to my ignorant eye seems to indicate no protection as such):

Summary for drive F: (AnyDVD 6.6.0.3)
HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GSA-E60L 1.00 07/05/15 7U02
Drive (Hardware) Region: 1

Media is a DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 2 (opposite)
Size of first Layer: 2069840 sectors (4042 MBytes)
Total size: 4116608 sectors (8040 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: KRABAT
Media is not CSS protected.
Video Standard: PAL
Media is locked to region(s): 1 2 3 4 5 6!

Structural copy protection not found.
RCE protection not found.
Changed firstplay: Jump directly to TitleMenu!
Autorun not found on Video DVD.
Bad sector protection not found.
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 1!

This is solved, I guess, but I thought you might find the problem of some interest.

Attachments

• AnyDVD_6.6.0.3_Info_F_KRABAT.zip
    74.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
It seems likely to me that there's a physical defect towards the end of your disc as opposed to this being a protection issue.

The disc itself is virtually unprotected.

If you're blanking with vobblanker, then that portion of the disc doesn't need to be read anyway thus bypassing the defective area.

Anyway, I'll see if James feels differently than I do.

Last edited:
That had occured to me, too...

That's what I thought, too, but playing the disc through the credits leads to about 20 minutes of a blank screen and four chapter changes (referencing the chapter timings in VOBBlanker)...the point is that these dummy chapter numbers don't show up on on the DVD player and they don't constitute part of the film...they're just there and they interfere with the backup process. Also, it seems that if they're ignored/blanked, you get the full film.

Thanks for your interest!

That's what I thought, too, but playing the disc through the credits leads to about 20 minutes of a blank screen

I have witnessed the same thing before with defective discs. You may sometimes see a blank screen--and then the disc starts skipping around to various chapters as the player attempts to re-synch playback.

But I'm not entirely sure that's what happened here.

What happens if you force on the A.I. scanner in Anydvd--and then use "rip video-dvd to harddisk"?

and four chapter changes (referencing the chapter timings in VOBBlanker)...the point is that these dummy chapter numbers don't show up on on the DVD player and they don't constitute part of the film...they're just there and they interfere with the backup process. Also, it seems that if they're ignored/blanked, you get the full film.

Thanks for your interest!

I have sent James a private message. He would know better a lot better than I do.

Last edited:
With the rip-to-hard disc

With the rip to hard disc, the scan stops with a red X after about 3%...same as I got when I tried to scan it with VSO inspector.

The drive makes strange noises like it's looking for something, though, in both cases...

With the rip to hard disc, the scan stops with a red X after about 3%...same as I got when I tried to scan it with VSO inspector.

The drive makes strange noises like it's looking for something, though, in both cases...

Yeah, I suspect the disc is faulty.

But I did send a private message to James. He's a busy guy. I don't know if he'll respond.

Last edited:
Thanks again!

Thanks again! I haven't actually watched the copies I made (I put it on 2 discs)...hope they work OK!

The last cell of the main movie is indeed skipped, so this is probably some kind of copy protection.

Try to set AI scanner to "always enabled", it may remove the offending cell, but I'm not sure.

Don't forget to revert to default settings when done.

Thanks!

Right you are --- I'll get back to you on this...

Sorry...

I'm afraid I couldn't get anything to work other than the method I already described...no luck with a AnyDVD rip at all.

I'm afraid I couldn't get anything to work other than the method I already described...no luck with a AnyDVD rip at all.

You went into Anydvd's "Video DVD settings" and changed the AI scanner in the dropdown box from "Automatic" to "always enabled", right? (Click on red fox icon on your toolbar-->Video dvd--> settings-->AI scanner-->always enabled-->click "ok")

I've also sent a private message to Peer because I believe he does a lot of work on the AI scanner.

I'm sure he's thrilled that I'm bothering him.
Maybe I can get every Slysoft developer to descend upon this thread. ;) :D

Last edited:
Sorry (again)

OK, I get it now...it seemed to work just fine this way, actually, but I haven't checked out the whole print...I have a vague feeling that the new burn which I made following the rip is substantially shorter (by about 15 minutes) than the version I made with the VOBBlanker approach...which worked just fine, by the way.

As it's nearly 4 AM here, I'll let it go for now and try to see if there are any chapters missing tomorrow.

Thanks again for all the help, all!

What happens if you force on the A.I. scanner in Anydvd--and then use "rip video-dvd to harddisk"?

Try to set AI scanner to "always enabled", it may remove the offending cell, but I'm not sure.

Don't forget to revert to default settings when done.

You went into Anydvd's "Video DVD settings" and changed the AI scanner in the dropdown box from "Automatic" to "always enabled", right? (Click on red fox icon on your toolbar-->Video dvd--> settings-->AI scanner-->always enabled-->click "ok")

OK, I get it now...it seemed to work just fine this way, actually, but I haven't checked out the whole print...I have a vague feeling that the new burn which I made following the rip is substantially shorter (by about 15 minutes)

Perhaps the A.I. scanner removed too much material. You see, with Anydvd's default settings, Anydvd does not detect sturctural protection as being present on this particular dvd, so the AI scanner is not active at all with this dvd normally. But now you just forced the AI scanner on. Unfortunately, based on what you have written, the A.I. Scanner may have removed too much material.

As it's nearly 4 AM here, I'll let it go for now and try to see if there are any chapters missing tomorrow.

Thanks again for all the help, all!

Sure, please let us know tomorrow. If you could let us know what chapters are missing or where the missing material is, that would be great. I suspect James or Peer may have some further questions. Thank you

Last edited:
OK, here's what I've got

Some of the problem (about 6:23) of the 13-14 minutes can be explained by an odd (I think) chapter structure...see the attached zip for details of chapter starts for the two versions.

Be sure to let me know of anything else you might need to know. Oh --- I didn't blank the extras from the AI scanner version.

ADDED LATER*** I checked again and it seems that my Ch. 7 appears on both of the 2-disc set discs, so that explains most of the rest of the problem, I think...though this remains a bit of a mystery to me, I'm afraid...

Attachments

• KrabatInfo.zip
    3.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Some of the problem (about 6:23) of the 13-14 minutes can be explained by an odd (I think) chapter structure...see the attached zip for details of chapter starts for the two versions.

Be sure to let me know of anything else you might need to know. Oh --- I didn't blank the extras from the AI scanner version.

ADDED LATER*** I checked again and it seems that my Ch. 7 appears on both of the 2-disc set discs, so that explains most of the rest of the problem, I think...though this remains a bit of a mystery to me, I'm afraid...

Sorry, I don't follow completely.... did the version with AI scanner always enabled work or not? Remember, playback can be tested right on the PC, without ripping at all.
Do you still see a read error while ripping?

Kind of...

The version with the AI scanner scanned with no error messages. The disc plays OK in a standalone DVD player but won't proceed beyond chapter 1 without a nudge in the computer to the next chapter (3). Also, if you're elsewhere in the film besides Chapter One and try to go to a time in chapter 1, the whole computer freezes and you have to eject the disc by hand from the external drive to get control back.

Hope that clears things up.

Same stuff happens

If 6.6.0.4. and its changes in re: Ripper & AI were supposed to deal with the problems posed by this disc, I'm afraid there is no change...

OK, let me try again...

Here's what happens:

1. If I play the new DVD in a standalone player, it plays fine.

2. If I play the new disc in the computer, at the end of Chapter One it goes back to the start of Chapter One repeatedly and you have to advance manually to the next chapter (which is Chapter 3 --- Chapter 2 is missing, though it seems to have zero content). In addition, if you're somewhere other than in Chapter One and use Time Seek to go to a point IN Chapter One, the computer freezes up until you eject the disc manually.

Back