• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Smooth Playback with new resamplers (CPU related)?

Mark_A_W

Hi all

Since the new resampler has been integrated into Reclock, I've been having issues with little jerks and jumps.

I've tracked it down to (I think) CPU usage. If I set it to Fast Sinc Interpolation, it's ok. Setting it to Good gives me jerks and jumps. Best is a pipedream.

However setting it to upsample to 96khz, with Fast is still ok. It's the quality setting that does it.

I used to run Excellent no problems. I have an overclocked Q6600 quadcore (although I am doing everything in software).

This is not really a complaint, there's nothing "wrong".
I was just wondering if anybody else has noticed this as well?

Mark

Not me. I am running in "best" mode with a C2D 2.7Ghz and no problem.

I also have jerks and jumps when setting resampling to Best. Fast and Good both playback perfectly at rates up to 192khz. I've noticed that when using Best my CPU (C2D 2.66ghz) runs around 70-75%, but at the same time I get the jerks and jumps my CPU spikes to 100%. I haven't looked into it enough to see whether Reclock is causing the spikes or some other process.

I also have jerks and jumps when setting resampling to Best. Fast and Good both playback perfectly at rates up to 192khz. I've noticed that when using Best my CPU (C2D 2.66ghz) runs around 70-75%, but at the same time I get the jerks and jumps my CPU spikes to 100%. I haven't looked into it enough to see whether Reclock is causing the spikes or some other process.

You shouldn't need to use 192kHz. 96kHz is more than sufficient. "Best" is overkill as well.

I never said I used 192khz, just that Fast and Good both work fine up to that resampling rate :). I struggle with Best even when outputting the same sample rate as the input. This never used to be the case, as per the OP I used to run Excellent with the old resampler with no problems at all.

P.S if I send 96khz to my amp it will resample it to 192khz so the audio gets resampled twice. If I send it 192khz, my amp doesn't resample.

P.S if I send 96khz to my amp it will resample it to 192khz so the audio gets resampled twice. If I send it 192khz, my amp doesn't resample.

This is .... true, of course.

Not me. I am running in "best" mode with a C2D 2.7Ghz and no problem.

Ok, that's odd.

I have a C2Q at 3.0 ghz. My PC is faster, even on only 2 CPUs (and it's one that matters for Reclock).

I'm doing 6 or 8 channels of 24bit audio, and using madVR, watching Blurays. Everything is done in software.

For this test I have the Room Correction turned off.

You aren't using DXVA are you?

I can smell a Core i7 930. Just because ;)

Mark

Ok, that's odd.

I have a C2Q at 3.0 ghz. My PC is faster, even on only 2 CPUs (and it's one that matters for Reclock).

I'm doing 6 or 8 channels of 24bit audio, and using madVR, watching Blurays. Everything is done in software.

I can smell a Core i7 930. Just because ;)

Mark
My "pimped" resampler will use all cores it can get. If you have 8 cores, it will use 8 (for 8 channels). Maybe I should make the number of cores selectable, perhaps it doesn't work well with >2 cores... :confused:

The thicken plots...

My issues with jerks and jumps are present with a system wide CPU load of about 45%, and no individual cores going above about 60% (I'll confirm this - this is from memory).

Is there some standard test I could do for you James? To see if the behaviour with 4 cores is as expected?

I'm pretty certain it's CPU spikes. With Fast everything is fine, including a 96khz upsample. With Good I get jerks and jumps with no upsampling (so 48khz).

The thicken plots...

My issues with jerks and jumps are present with a system wide CPU load of about 45%, and no individual cores going above about 60% (I'll confirm this - this is from memory).

Is there some standard test I could do for you James? To see if the behaviour with 4 cores is as expected?

Can you reduce the number of cores for your playback software (using taskmanager's "set affinity")? As ReClock is executed within the process of the player, this should restrict the number of cores used. Any difference?

I'll try tonight James (it's lunchtime here - I'm at work).

Ok, that's odd.

Yeah, sorry, I should have said I normally do use DXVA. But I have done some testing without DXVA in TMT for other reasons and did not notice any problem. Perhaps it is a >2 core problem. :confused:

Ok. I'm playing around, and of course I can't replicate the jumps and jerks that have been plaguing me for months..

It seems to work ok now with Good and 96khz (Reclock lists 15% or so for 8 channels 24 bits).

I set the affinity to two cores, and that made everything worse.

I don't think there's an issue with Reclock, but I might rebuild my PC (well, build up my W7 x64 boot).

Sorry to bother you all..

Mark

Back