• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

SlySoft Player?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll just chime in here briefly to state that I'd really like to see some sort of remote-control, even if it's simply hot-keys I can map from an IR command using Girder (which is what I do now for TMT). As much as I appreciate that mouse and/or keyboard control might be fine for some people, when I sit down on my couch to watch something, I don't want to have to find two or more different controllers. I've spent countless hours getting my remote to control all of the different elements of my system to my satisfaction and I won't be abandoning that.

Now, since SlyPlayer is going to be free I guess we don't have much say, so consider this a friendly request with no expectations... :)

ET

If SlyPlayer is callable from the command line with a parameter for the location of the ISO or folder structure, then it should work from MM or MB.

I agree with the others here, the ability to use a remote with SlyPlayer is important.

For me, it's about using only one device to control everything in the living room. I use an universal remote to control every component attached to my TV. It's got a high WAF too. I agree that a wireless mouse will work too but it's not as clean and certainly not as cool. The MyMovies and MediaBrowser interfaces are 10x snazzier than searching directories with a mouse.

Last edited:
Just an FYI, I believe the Slygods use MCE remotes, so, I'd be surprised if they didn't at least allow control of SlyPlayer with that. MC integration is more questoinable but basic remote control should be in there. Of course, I don't work for Slysoft nor do I work on SlyPlayer, so, I'm only speculating here.

Curiously, the only players having problems with keyboard/remote commands, are the ones you pay for. Everything except for HD-DVD/bluray, several free players can do much better than TMT and especially PowerDVD. One wonders what they're spending our money on.

I like both. For movie control, nothing beats a remote. For all other tasks, a KB/M is required. Now, how you get your movie started is the question. I've always been a simplified mount the ISO and let it play kind of guy. However, I've been playing with 7MC lately and can see the value of having your library of movies listed there for you to select and watch. Since it's just about simplified starting, even having MyMovies or Media Browser be able to call SlyPlayer would be useful. No direct MC plugin required, right? Open MC with your remote, select your movie in the media browser or MyMovies interface, and it mounts the ISO or opens from folder and launches SlyPlayer. Would that not solve the issue?

That was exactly the solution I was requesting ;)

The other thing would be that the app respond to the WMC remote control commands while open and close on the back button.

Curiously, the only players having problems with keyboard/remote commands, are the ones you pay for. Everything except for HD-DVD/bluray, several free players can do much better than TMT and especially PowerDVD. One wonders what they're spending our money on.

PowerDVD8

enter = play
space bar = pause
scroll = speed/forward reverse
"e" = step backward
"t" = step forward
"p" = chapter back
"s" = stop
"f" speed up
"d" show info
"z" display in window
"b" = reverse
"n" chapter forward

There is probably more but I don't know them

ocgw

peace

Last edited:
That was exactly the solution I was requesting ;)

The other thing would be that the app respond to the WMC remote control commands while open and close on the back button.

Precisely. I think that's a reasonable request. I just bought a new VMC remote today for my main HTPC. It works for all the players I want to use and would expect it to work with SlyPlayer, as well.

Precisely. I think that's a reasonable request. I just bought a new VMC remote today for my main HTPC. It works for all the players I want to use and would expect it to work with SlyPlayer, as well.

You expect it to so murphy's law it won't :p

Then Slysoft itself won't even use it. That wouldn't be very useful would it? :D

PowerDVD8

enter = play
space bar = pause
scroll = speed/forward reverse
"e" = step backward
"t" = step forward
"p" = chapter back
"s" = stop
"f" speed up

There is probably more but I don't know them

ocgw

peace

Media buttons don't work well or at all. With a media keyboard (such as the DiNovo mini, which works great with Media Center) you still need to press keyboard keys. It works well with MPC-HC and Foobar2000.

But what I was getting at is not just that, but the level of functionality vs. bloat in free and commercial players.

I like both. For movie control, nothing beats a remote. For all other tasks, a KB/M is required.
I have to disagree here. If you have a front-end, no KB/M is ever needed. Using Meedio, I can browse all of my music and video library, search for specific titles, and launch the movie all using a remote. The only time I use a keyboard or mouse is when something breaks, which lately has been very rare.

I've found that the best/reliable implementation for remote control has been for a player to implement either a SendMessage interface or TCP/IP control. Keyboard control is OK, but not ideal.

ET

I have to disagree here. If you have a front-end, no KB/M is ever needed. Using Meedio, I can browse all of my music and video library, search for specific titles, and launch the movie all using a remote. The only time I use a keyboard or mouse is when something breaks, which lately has been very rare.

I've found that the best/reliable implementation for remote control has been for a player to implement either a SendMessage interface or TCP/IP control. Keyboard control is OK, but not ideal.

ET

I think you misunderstood my comment. I do other tasks on my HTPC besides simply playing media. Ripping ISOs, for example, requires a KB/M. Those are the tasks I'm referring to.

I think you misunderstood my comment. I do other tasks on my HTPC besides simply playing media. Ripping ISOs, for example, requires a KB/M. Those are the tasks I'm referring to.
Fair enough. I read the rest of your paragraph thinking it was related to this statement.

I use another PC for ripping ISOs or whatever. I use VNC if I need to do any maintenance on the HTPC.

ET

I tend to use remote desktop myself, but, I find having a keyboard and mouse attached to the machine to be useful at times. For media playing, however, no kb/m are involved. Now that I just got my new VMC remote for my main HTPC, both of my HTPC's are hooked up and running sweet. In fact, if TMT3 ever gets the bitstreaming support for 7MC fixed, then 7MC will be my media interface of choice for all my media. I'm growing used to it and the fact that my xbox 360 can play media from 7MC is sweet, as well.

SamuriHL, I'm glad you're beginning to appreciate the virtues of 7MC/VMC. It's a great one-stop shop for TV, music, movies, videos, photos, Hulu, Netflix, etc.

Actually, I like Tivo for TV but use VMC for most other things.

I've found over the years that I only want a simple HTPC in my living room with enough power to play Blu-rays. I rip, store, and manage all media from a different desktop on my network. It's easier that way and my living room is never "under construction". I still have a keyboard/mouse floating around the living room for occasional Internet browsing or computer management, but the longer I go without using them, the happier I am.

Honestly, I think TMT3 is a good stand-alone player for 24P and HD audio playback. However, it has problems when used with VMC.

If SlyPlayer becomes 7MC-friendly and remote-friendly, it would be the bestest, most greatest player evar.

<snip>
Honestly, I think TMT3 is a good stand-alone player for 24P and HD audio playback. However, it has problems when used with VMC.

If SlyPlayer becomes 7MC-friendly and remote-friendly, it would be the bestest, most greatest player evar.
Kbiz, Are you having problems using a remote with TMT?

I know you didn't say that specifically, but I thought you mentioned that issue before in another forum, just trying to remember...

7MC isn't perfect by any means, but, it's acceptable. I have 2 HD DVR cable boxes that run TiVO, as well. I record from those using my HD PVR and 7MC allows me to stream that to my 360 or to either HTPC in the house. Quite convenient. In any case, I think it's reasonable to think that SlyPlayer will handle at least MC remotes.

Lamprey, not to hijack the thread, but yes. My old MCE remote doesn't work with the TMT3 plug-in. I'm currently looking a new remote/receiver/software solution for Vista/Win7. If someone has a must-have solution, please PM me.

SamuriHL, I'm having a hard time finding the perfect solution for anything HTPC related. There is always something missing. However, I haven't found anything better than 7MC so far.

It sounds like SlyPlayer is months away from release.

Lamprey, not to hijack the thread, but yes. My old MCE remote doesn't work with the TMT3 plug-in. I'm currently looking a new remote/receiver/software solution for Vista/Win7. If someone has a must-have solution, please PM me.
Humm, I'll have to check on the VMC plugin. I haven't used it because it doesn't play folders. But, my remote is working in the standalone TMT player, FWIW.

The ones I have both work with the TMT3 plugin, even the new one I just got today. Search on amazon for Vista Media Center Remote and you'll find it. It's all black.

SamuriHL, I'm having a hard time finding the perfect solution for anything HTPC related. There is always something missing. However, I haven't found anything better than 7MC so far.

They've improved it a lot since MCE2005. Vista was better. 7MC is the best to date and when Hauppaugge releases their driver for the HD PVR that'll make it even better. Nonetheless, for movies I'm still somewhat on the fence. I have mine set up so I click on an ISO, it mounts, and auto-plays with TMT3 full screen. I'm thinking about looking at media browser to see how much better that is. We'll see.

It sounds like SlyPlayer is months away from release.

We have no info on a release date but that's probably not a bad guess. All we can do is wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back