• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Slow Rip Speed with Vista

azumaniac

I have just completed a new computer build with Vista. My plan was to build a new workstation/media server. The problem is, even though I have a new and powerful computer, the rip time for any respective DVD has doubled over what it took on my older XP machine. This a severe disappointment. I assume that the overly invasive Vista security features are to blame. Anyone have any ideas on how to speed up the process?

Intel E6700 C2D
EVGA 680i
EVGA 8800GTS
2 x 1gbyte Corsair RAM
Plextor 760A DVD drive
SB Audigy 2ZS Platinum
Thermaltake 650W P/S
Windows Vista Ultimate

Slow rip speed on Vista

I answered my own question finally. It was not Vista that was at fault, it was my new Plextor PX-760A DVD drive. Apparently, this drive auto-throttles itself to slow speed when it detects CSS protection on a DVD, such as just about any movie DVD. This way, the drive is not too noisy when it is playing your favorite movie.

Reading up on the Plextor website, I found out that the PlexTools application that comes with the drive has a manual override button that allows you to force the drive into maximum read speed. To get PlexTools to operate with Vista however, you have to download the PlexTools LE update.

I tried it, it works, it is a little bit of a pain because you have to hit the speed override button for every movie DVD that you put in the drive. I hope this information helps someone else out there who is overburdened with all the real problems that can be laid at the feet of Vista.

@ Azumaniac,

Welcome to the Forum.

I don’t have a Plextor PX-760A nor am I running Windows Vista but I have too ask if you have the most current version of AnyDVD and have it activated how would your Plextor PX-760A be able to detect that a DVD contained CSS protection to trigger the auto-throttle slowdown on your Plextor PX-760A?

The purpose of AnyDVD software program among other things is to prevent the Windows Operating system and Hardware Equipment from being able to detect that a DVD contains CSS protection. If you did have AnyDVD activated your Plextor PX-760A auto-throttle slowdown would never become activated and you would not have to hit the speed override button for every movie DVD that you put in your Plextor PX-760A. To me it appears that you don’t have AnyDVD active when playing your DVD’s.

Regards,
Coaster

I think the hardware drive sees the protection, then AnyDVD eliminates it from getting any further. Remember, the drive sees the DVD before anything else (including AnyDVD) sees it.

-W

@ Azumaniac,

Welcome to the Forum.

I don’t have a Plextor PX-760A nor am I running Windows Vista but I have too ask if you have the most current version of AnyDVD and have it activated how would your Plextor PX-760A be able to detect that a DVD contained CSS protection to trigger the auto-throttle slowdown on your Plextor PX-760A?

The purpose of AnyDVD software program among other things is to prevent the Windows Operating system and Hardware Equipment from being able to detect that a DVD contains CSS protection. If you did have AnyDVD activated your Plextor PX-760A auto-throttle slowdown would never become activated and you would not have to hit the speed override button for every movie DVD that you put in your Plextor PX-760A. To me it appears that you don’t have AnyDVD active when playing your DVD’s.

Regards,
Coaster
I believe you can press the Eject button for >3 seconds instead of using PlexTools.

In reply to a previous question, I am using AnyDVD 6.1.2.5.

Thanks for the tip about pushing the eject button for 3 seconds James. Sure enough, I tried it and it works perfectly. Push the button for 3 seconds until the LED blinks, insert your disk and voila!

I looked in the manual for this little jewel of information but it was nowhere to be found.

Thanks Again

Back