• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Slow DVD rip speed

Kirben

I'm using the 'Rip Video Disc to Harddisk' option in AnyDVD for DVDs, with a Pioneer BDR-209D drive (1.33 firmware). But I find the ripping speed is often limited to 1x speed for some discs, or drops down to 1x speed during the ripping. This even happen for unprotected discs, which seems very strange.

I'm using Windows 7 SP1, and SPTD isn't installed on the system.

I have attached logs of a few unprotected disc as examples.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• AnyDVD_7.6.7.1_Info_E_Geronimo_V2D1.ziplog
    91.2 KB · Views: 1
  • AnyDVD_7.6.7.1_Info_E_Geronimo_V2D2.ziplog
    101.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Try exiting AnyDVD and using Windows file copy to the same unprotected DVD.
Any faster?
-W

Try exiting AnyDVD and using Windows file copy to the same unprotected DVD.
Any faster?
No, copying via Windows Explorer, without AnyDVD loaded isn't any faster.

Would that indicate a limitation of the drive?

Most likely yes. Or at least a limitation of that drive "as configured" in that system.
But the fact is, that if you just "plug-in" any SATA drive, Windows usually knows WTF to do with it - without special handling or drivers needed.
Once in a while I see a disk that "reads slow" - but not that slow.
You could go into device manager and uninstall that drive - reboot and let windows find it again. (do this with AnyDVD uninstalled to eliminate the variable).
Then test it both ways again.
Past that I'd pick up another Optical Drive.........
-W

Unfortunately that utility is for other models, and doesn't detect the Pioneer BDR-209D.

The problem doesn't occur all the time, I can rip several disc at full speed, only to have one or two discs rip at much slower speed after. I wonder if there is a set data transfer limit, that restricts briefly after transferring 'x' amount of data. The drive never spins up when slow ripping occurs, but I don't think it is related to the quiet mode function of the drive, since it doesn't occur all the time.

I've noticed that when a drive doesn't like a disc early and slows down it stays slower the whole rip.
But 1x is unreal - that's like 1.5 hours to rip a DVD.
-W

Back