• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Short Pause on Layer change several DVD's noticed ?

cliff99

I am in the process of putting my DVD collection as iso's onto my media server a Readynas Duo.

Noticed while watching several that when the DVD would be changing layers I get a slight pause, Quantum of Solace region 2 is one.

May be this on all discs just not always as noticeable, I there a way of eliminating this . I have both Anydvd HD and CloneDVD and Clone CD latest versions.

Any help greatly appreciated,
Cliff
Sydney Australia

I would think that if you rip with CloneDVD that the layer break info would be lost.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this?
-W

Tried selecting remove layer break in Clone DVD but till shows a pause, Just read that Clone CD will do DVD and maintain original layer break position where as Clone DVD repositions it. May be this is the answer

Yeah its possible that CloneCD would keep the original layer break, but it shouldn't matter anyways. You shouldn't be seeing any kind of pause at the layer break. Try ripping just with the AnyDVD ripper into an ISO then putting it on your server and see if it does the same thing.

I get a slight pause on most if not all layer breaks when playing the original disk on my home theatre system.

well if you read the cover art on the boxes that come with the DVD's, they usually CLEARLY state exactly this. "Layer transition may trigger a slight pause", its normal behavior. Certain players are more susceptible to it then others.

I get a slight pause on most if not all layer breaks when playing the original disk on my home theatre system.

The original disk? Sure you get a pause.
That's normal as there is actually a physical layer break for the drive to deal with.

Up until you - we were talking about layer break pauses when playing a rip.

-W

Seems that it is normal , I have tried AnyDVD to an ISO same thing . The only thing that I see may work would be to extract each layer and merge them in a video editor but that is a lot of work and don't know if there would be enough if any overlap.

Thanks for all the replies and ideas. Still way more convenient having my collection on the NAS box, and as I have had some older DVD's actually die maybe a way of preserving them too.

Seems that it is normal , I have tried AnyDVD to an ISO same thing . The only thing that I see may work would be to extract each layer and merge them in a video editor but that is a lot of work and don't know if there would be enough if any overlap.

Thanks for all the replies and ideas. Still way more convenient having my collection on the NAS box, and as I have had some older DVD's actually die maybe a way of preserving them too.

Use elby CloneDVD to create the .iso. The pause will be gone.

I am in the process of putting my DVD collection as iso's onto my media server a Readynas Duo. Noticed while watching several that when the DVD would be changing layers I get a slight pause, Quantum of Solace region 2 is one. May be this on all discs just not always as noticeable, I there a way of eliminating this . I have both Anydvd HD and CloneDVD and Clone CD latest versions.

Any help greatly appreciated,
Cliff
Sydney Australia

All DVD drives for the last couple of years do not cause a pause when the layer transition occurs - so it ends up seamless. The packaging on DVD's displays the warning to cover the company for any issues, and this issue mostly relates to older DVD hardware. It could be a hardware issue. All DVD's are DVD-9 (Dual Layer). As James suggested use CloneDVD to remove the layer break. All the movies I have ripped have been fine.

All DVD drives for the last couple of years do not cause a pause when the layer transition occurs - so it ends up seamless.

Never say: All, None, Always, Never etc etc..

I agree that MOST drives for the last couple years.... (have enough buffer to eat the layer break).

-W

Last edited:
Back