• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Saving Private Ryan

jedisinclair

Does anyone know if the BD of Saving Private Ryan has "forced subtitles" and if so, is it the first or second English track?

Thanks!

Does anyone know if the BD of Saving Private Ryan has "forced subtitles" and if so, is it the first or second English track?

Thanks!

Download HDBlurayStreamExtractor http://www.digital-digest.com/software/HD_DVD_Blu-Ray_Stream_Extractor_history.html#version and extract the subtitles only. The report that is created with the subtitle files will tell you which subtitle file has the forced subs. The report will be in the same folder that you designate for the subtitle files.

Thanks... one thing that's weird is "Saving Private Ryan" and "War of the Worlds" both have two mts files that are close to the same length. How do I know which one is the "movie" file?

What does this have to do with AnyDVD HD?

AnyDVD is the first program in a series of programs necessary to backup a blu-ray disc, so I thought someone might have experience with the process.

UPDATE: I figured it out. Thanks to PrincipalityFusion for his input. He has helped me a few times. I appreciate it.

Today is the D-Day landings anniversary

I watched it last night and there were no language subtitles, just "scene locations" (e.g. "Dog Green Sector - Omaha Beach" on Ch. 2).

Germans speak German, French speak French and Americans speak - well, a sort of English ;)

Adds to the flavour of authenticity - great BD movie all round, everyone should watch it (or something similar) this weekend "lest we forget"....

I got the version with the yellow upc sticker which replaced the one with the audio sync issues (those were pulled off the retail shelves a couple of weeks ago).

I watched it last night and there were no language subtitles, just "scene locations" (e.g. "Dog Green Sector - Omaha Beach" on Ch. 2).

Germans speak German, French speak French and Americans speak - well, a sort of English ;)

Adds to the flavour of authenticity - great BD movie all round, everyone should watch it (or something similar) this weekend "lest we forget"....

I got the version with the yellow upc sticker which replaced the one with the audio sync issues (those were pulled off the retail shelves a couple of weeks ago).

Well, you must have had something turned off because there are subtitles for the "foreign" language (non-english) parts. For example, when the wall falls down to expose the Germans radio room to the American troops, that part is subtitled. When the American troops are looking for Ryan in a line of Jews walking in an American base camp, they approach some of the people in the line and start talking in a foreign language. There are others as well.

Well, you must have had something turned off because there are subtitles for the "foreign" language (non-english) parts. For example, when the wall falls down to expose the Germans radio room to the American troops, that part is subtitled. When the American troops are looking for Ryan in a line of Jews walking in an American base camp, they approach some of the people in the line and start talking in a foreign language. There are others as well.
I had nothing turned off - I just played it straight out of the box using PDVD 7.3 Ultra - same result with TMT 2.1.6.133 - there are NO subtitles displayed. I just checked again when it was playing and the default is NO subtitles. Turning on either of the 2 english subtitles gives you all the dialog subtitled. Are you using the Sapphire Edition Region A? What player are you using?

That was a line of German prisoners, by the way - Mellish was taunting them by saying that he was Jewish (Juden in German).

Edit: Just checked the region 1 special limited edition SD dvd from 1999 and there are no forced subs on that either, on software or standalone player....

Last edited:
I had nothing turned off - I just played it straight out of the box using PDVD 7.3 Ultra - same result with TMT 2.1.6.133 - there are NO subtitles displayed. I just checked again when it was playing and the default is NO subtitles. Turning on either of the 2 english subtitles gives you all the dialog subtitled. Are you using the Sapphire Edition Region A? What player are you using?

That was a line of German prisoners, by the way - Mellish was taunting them by saying that he was Jewish (Juden in German).

Edit: Just checked the region 1 special limited edition SD dvd from 1999 and there are no forced subs on that either, on software or standalone player....

Sorry about that, you are correct. That was a line of German prisoners. About the forced subs, i'll have to check. It's been a while since i watched the film, but i definitely remember seeing subtitles. I guess i could have had subtitles turned on, but usually when you see the foreign language parts subtitled, they are forced as well, otherwise they wouldn't be subtitled. This is all before i even knew what forced subtitles were so i could be mistaken. If so, i stand corrected then.

Sorry about that, you are correct. That was a line of German prisoners. About the forced subs, i'll have to check. It's been a while since i watched the film, but i definitely remember seeing subtitles. I guess i could have had subtitles turned on, but usually when you see the foreign language parts subtitled, they are forced as well, otherwise they wouldn't be subtitled. This is all before i even knew what forced subtitles were so i could be mistaken. If so, i stand corrected then.
No problem, maybe other regions had forced subtitles. It is well worth watching again, especially around the time of the D-Day anniversary - I used it as a teaching tool for my teenagers this weekend.

The SD dvd (dolby digital 5.1 sound) was a reference disk for me for a long time (shadow detail, panning, etc.) - the Sapphire Edition BluRay is spectacular, and the DTS-HD sound is incredible (I could never find the DTS dvd, so I found the BD a great improvement even with just the DTS core) :D

Back