• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Rosetta Stone using Game Jackal?

efaillace

I am considering purchasing Rosetta Stone software CDs, but am hesitating to do so because my netbook does not come with an optical drive. I could take along an external drive, but that pretty much defeats the whole idea of a compact computer.

Is it possible for Game Jackal to treat Rosetta Stone software the same way as it does PC Games? That is, can I use it to initially copy the software to my netbook from the external drive to some virtual drive and then simply run the software without having to hook up the external drive each time?

that is unlikely to work but as the GJsoftware is ffree to try, you've nothing to lose by testing it

( just test with any game you have to hand, to see if the principle of "install from external drive then run via GJ with no drive present" can be made to work )

if i remember right gj wont work unless some drive is present (a virtual one might do the job)

Not really "free to try"

While GF software might be "free to try", purchasing Rosetta Stone is a $500 expense, and I am not sure whether I would get refunded if the virtual drive method did not work and I had to return the software. I just noticed from their web site that Rosetta Stone has an online service that is $200 for 6 month subscription, but apparently this only works while you are connected to the internet. That limits access while traveling, especially by airplane.

Unless someone else on this forum has successfully run Rosetta Stone from a virtual drive environment, I suppose that I am out of luck on this one... By the way, I do have the "virtual clone drive" set up on my netbook, and it works very nicely to play my DVD image files that I ripped using AnyDVD.

Last edited:
While GF software might be "free to try", purchasing Rosetta Stone is a $500 expense, and I am not sure whether I would get refunded if the virtual drive method did not work and I had to return the software. I just noticed from their web site that Rosetta Stone has an online service that is $200 for 6 month subscription, but apparently this only works while you are connected to the internet. That limits access while traveling, especially by airplane.

Unless someone else on this forum has successfully run Rosetta Stone from a virtual drive environment, I suppose that I am out of luck on this one... By the way, I do have the "virtual clone drive" set up on my netbook, and it works very nicely to play my DVD image files that I ripped using AnyDVD.

evlncrn8 is correct, you will need to have a virtual drive installed when your external drive is unplugged (which you do anyway). My (limited) knowledge of the copy protection used, it appears to be early Safedisc (2/3). This should work with GJ fine... worse case is you may need to use image mode when capturing the profiles (read "should" not "will" ;) )

evlncrn8 is correct, you will need to have a virtual drive installed when your external drive is unplugged (which you do anyway). My (limited) knowledge of the copy protection used, it appears to be early Safedisc (2/3). This should work with GJ fine... worse case is you may need to use image mode when capturing the profiles (read "should" not "will" ;) )

IF you buy rosetta stone & the above does not work, then a little googling will find you other ways of bypassing the need for dvd to be present. Whatyou are dealing with is mostly encrypted data files( language files & image files) plus a small program which can open & run those files & it's just the latter that is protected. So you should not have to resort to image mode. that's all I can say here

efaillace:

I was successful using Game Jackal. I use Rosetta Stone version 2.1.4.2a application with Dutch Level 1 and 2 language discs.

I *DID* have to choose the option to save an image file on my harddisk because it streams data during use.

I tried other options before this as well with no success (contrary to some posts that you just have to keep hammering away until it works! lol) Those were using ClonedCD with Protected Game profile and mounting the image using VirtualCloneDrive. No joy trying that over and over again.

I successfully used GameJackal on both an XP computer and on a Vista computer (both Dell laptops). This is the only protected program that I own that I could not get CloneCD to work with. I'm very happy to own GameJackal for that reason alone.

Best of luck.

Back