• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Ripping Scratched DVDs (e.g., ignore errors?) (Not a specific AnyDVD problem)

bobjtx

This might be a dumb questions, but still I wonder. Unlike movies, TX show dvds have multiple short episodes on the disk. When playing a scratched dvd in VLC, I can watch all but one episode. Is there anyway to instruct AnyDVD to rip only certain episodes instead of the entire disk? If a movie is damaged, it typically is not worth salvaging, but if only one episode on a tv show dvd can't be played, I wonder if there might be a way to just decrypt certain "titles" instead of the entire disk? Thoughts? (I ask, because the packaging for TV boxsets is horrendous, usually resulting in 1 or more scratched disks when ordered and shipped through the mail. Thanks!

Last edited:
If AnyDVD detects a read error, it considers this part of a copy protection and leaves out the title set. Set AI scanner to "always enabled". Maybe you will be lucky.

If that doesn't work, you can try MakeMKV or DVDShrink (etc) and only choose the other episodes.

CloneDVD2
I am not sure what is better, except that I think DVDShrink is a bit too old, and I haven't really used CloneDVD2 so far. But I've seen a function in a screenshot that I want to try out.

There's an older piece of software called DVDReMake which can "repair" DVD's with incomplete .VOB extracts. What I do with TV shows that have scratches, etc. resulting in bad reads is extract all files as fully as possible and let DVDReMake "repair" the DVD structure. Episodes or parts of episodes will be missing, but the disc may still be salvageable. If the scratches result in files being completely unreadable, though, this method won't work.

Well, I am. 😉
Well, of course because you know how it works and maybe also are the one who programmed it. I mean what is better for my usecase. I first used DVDShrink, now MakeMKV to get the movie as one file and it works fine. I still have to check CloneDVD and see what it does in what way.

I will give CloneDVD a try and see what it does. I have DVDShrink, but have no used it in years. I don't know if it will work with newer discs, but I will test it to see what it does. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Now, this is somewhat of an esoteric solution and one I've never tried. Supposedly, it can work: toothpaste. They say putting toothpaste in scratches on DVD's can help with read errors. This could be complete bunk as I've never tried it or did any further research into it. Just something I read online, so take it with 3 grains of salt. :)

Yeah, I also heard of it. Presumably because you would polish the surface with the small particles inside the paste. But I have absolutely no clue if it would work either. Just heard it at some point.

I never tried it: DDrescue is a Linux program that tries over and over again to read hard to read parts. It should also work on Windows and you should run AnyDVD in the background. The Windows counterpart DVDDisaster will not work with pressed discs. Do some research.

I ended up purchasing CloneDVD2, as one person suggested. It was exactly what I was looking for and worked for me. Fortunately, most of the unreadable parts have been "bonus" sections, such that I only lost 1 episode out of 3 scratched discs. I can live with that. The real pisser is that these are all newly purchased DVDs in boxed sets that arrive scratched, some of them almost look like a cat went after them they are so bad!. The packaging being used by these new distribution companies leave a lot to be desired.

I ended up purchasing CloneDVD2, as one person suggested. It was exactly what I was looking for and worked for me. Fortunately, most of the unreadable parts have been "bonus" sections, such that I only lost 1 episode out of 3 scratched discs. I can live with that. The real pisser is that these are all newly purchased DVDs in boxed sets that arrive scratched, some of them almost look like a cat went after them they are so bad!. The packaging being used by these new distribution companies leave a lot to be desired.
Why didn't you send the discs back for a replacement or refund?

My strategy when purchasing DVD sets from Amazon that have damaged discs in them is to purchase a 2nd set and hold on to the damaged set. Then, when the 2nd set arrives, you test the discs that were previously damaged in set 1 from set 2. If they're undamaged, swap out the good discs from set 2 for the damaged discs from set 1, and return set 2. Amazon has a very good return policy regarding damaged DVD's. If you still have the same damaged discs in set 2, return set 2 and keep getting sets until you've mixed and matched an undamaged set.

As for the packaging, it's even worse now with companies releasing complete series sets in new packaging where they put all the discs in one box instead of just packaging the original separate packages together into a new box. Paramount is the worst culprit at this.

purchase a 2nd set and hold on to the damaged set.
I started to do exactly the same when I got another UHD set with read errors again.

where they put all the discs in one box instead
Yeah, I hate that. Two discs on top if each other, or falling out because they cramp the entire season into one of these stupid boxes for no reason. Just to save two cents or so.

Now, this is somewhat of an esoteric solution and one I've never tried. Supposedly, it can work: toothpaste. They say putting toothpaste in scratches on DVD's can help with read errors. This could be complete bunk as I've never tried it or did any further research into it. Just something I read online, so take it with 3 grains of salt. :)
I've had some success with toothpaste so give it a shot on a disc that you cannot return or whatever. Gentle pressure and multiple attempts at reads between polishing.

Y
You could also try brass cleaner along with 2 lint free cloths 1) to put a drop on the cloth and then buff into the damaged DVD and 2) to buff again if need be.

Then try again with AnyDVD/CloneDVD2 or AnyDVD/DVDShrink and see if you can make a decent copy of your disc.

Hi everyone,

I've been following this thread with great interest and wanted to add my thoughts on the various methods discussed for dealing with scratched DVDs.

Regarding using unconventional methods like toothpaste for polishing scratches, it's essential to proceed cautiously. While some users have reported success, these methods can potentially cause further damage to the disc. It's crucial to use gentle pressure and test the disc after each attempt at polishing.

I want to highlight ISO Buster, a tool I've found very effective for extracting data from scratched discs. It has features like creating partial images and the ability to read discs in reverse, which can be incredibly useful. However, be aware that the trial version might have limitations, and you might need the full version to access all features. Also, using it in conjunction with AnyDVD running in the background is beneficial.

Remember, when dealing with scratched DVDs, especially those with sentimental or irreplaceable content, it's often a case of trial and error to find the best method for your specific situation.

I hope this helps!

Back