• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Ripping DVD to MP4/MKV

vze2mp9g

I've tried CloneDVD2, CloneDVDMobile & AnyDVDHD, to try to rip a DVD to a MP4/MKV single file. Can anyone tell me how to do this with any of the programs I mentioned above, or do I just need a DVD ripper to do that. I don't want to convert the DVD to a mobile device, and I don't want to convert it to a VOB file. Just a MP4/MKV file. I would really appreciate any and all assistance.
Thank you. :)

Just use CloneDVD mobiles Generic MP4/AVC profile.

Okay, but won't that SHRINK it some what to fit on a mobile device? Let's say I just want to "rip" the main movie to a MP4, will it retain the audio/video quality without changing it any? So, when I'm finished "ripping" the movie, it could be about 1-2 Gbs?

Thanks. :)

Okay, but won't that SHRINK it some what to fit on a mobile device? Let's say I just want to "rip" the main movie to a MP4, will it retain the audio/video quality without changing it any? So, when I'm finished "ripping" the movie, it could be about 1-2 Gbs?

I like to use the Microsoft Xbox360 H264/AAC (mp4) profile and movies generally range from 1.2Gb - 1.6Gb. I set it to the highest quality 720x480 or 848x480 depending on device) but 1 pass.

Last edited:

The word mobile is throwing you. CloneDVD mobile isn't just for mobile phones or tablets ;)

The point of using MP4/AVC is to compress the movie down from it's original size whilst maintaining, as best it can, the quality of the original.

Choose Generic MP4/AVC.
Select the maximum resolution from the drop down menu (e.g. 720x576).
Move the video quality slider all the way to the right (value 28*) for the best quality CDVDm can offer.
The bit-rate should be ~2385kbps which is slightly overkill as CDVDm doesn't currently have Constant Quality encoding.

* You can use a lesser value. It's all down to what video quality acceptable for you.

Last edited:
It works fine on my 7 year old, dual core laptop :)
Both MKV & MP4 are supported.

I second handbrake. It's free, and very well supported. I've now ripped hundreds or blu-rays and DVD's into MP4 files, although as mentioned it supports MKV files as well.

Back