• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Rip to Image vs Rip Video DVD to Harddisk

magic144

just wanted some clarification, as I'm still slightly confused!

is there a disadvantage to using Rip to Image for standard DVDs? (with or without the "keep protection" option)...

is it not the case that ripping a standard DVD image with the "keep protection" option ticked will produce a 1:1 image of the original DVD (protection warts and all), which, when mounted with Virtual CloneDrive will work just as well (in fact identically) as if the original disc had been put in a real drive?? - that certainly seems to be the case made by SamuriHL about this feature when operating on BD retail media

I do understand that in order to make use of this image to make a backup, you will have to remove the structural protection, possibly even by then using AnyDVD's "Rip Video DVD to Hard Disk" on the virtual drive!

Am I right, or am I missing a fundamental point...
Just want to know so I don't go around making potentially useless images in future.

Thanks,

m

ps - or is it still better/any-more-reliable to use a 3rd party ripping util for standard DVD video (i.e. ol' faithful RI4M et al) with/without AnyDVD working in the background???

Last edited:
The Rip to Image... option was really added for HD/BD discs. It's more along the lines of ripping to an image with CloneCD. Rip Video DVD to hard disk... is more along the lines of using full-disc rip using CloneDVD. I'd recommend using CloneDVD to rip to an ISO image rather than the built in Rip to Image... feature when it comes to standard DVDs.

Hmm, OK - thx for the quick feedback DrinkLye

Well, I've only purchased AnyDVD HD, but not CloneDVD...
Will the AnyDVD function "Rip DVD to Harddisk" do just as good a job for me? (i.e. at least as good as using RI4M et al did in the old days of the absence of AnyDVD) - and if not, what are some of the caveats?

thanks again,

m

Hmm, OK
Well, I've only purchased AnyDVD HD, but not CloneDVD...
Will Rip Video DVD to Harddisk do just as good a job for me? (i.e. at least as good as using RI4M et al in the absence of AnyDVD) - and if not, what are some of the caveats?

thanks again,

m

Using CloneCD to rip to an ISO keeps the layer break but it also doesn't do as much as CloneDVD in other ways in terms of remastering and other related things when removing protections. Both have their advantages.

Yes, Rip Video DVD to Harddisk... will work. If you want to create an ISO you can use a program like ImgBurn to do so from the ripped files on your HDD.

thanks again DrinkLye

I guess I will forge ahead and try the Rip Video DVD to Harddisk feature for all my DVD backups from now on.

Thanks for creating a new topic for this strand of the thread by the way, my bad for hijacking another! sorry

m

Just to put my questioning mind at rest then... are you saying that the Rip to Image (i.e. .iso) feature won't be guaranteed to work perfectly with standard DVDs BECAUSE of the inherent nature of their structural copy protection (which something like CloneDVD's .iso ripper is better informed to handle)? - and that this isn't a problem for BDs because they don't feature the same kind of protection...??

thanks again DrinkLye

I guess I will forge ahead and try the Rip Video DVD to Harddisk feature for all my DVD backups from now on.

Thanks for creating a new topic for this strand of the thread by the way, my bad for hijacking another! sorry

m

Just to put my questioning mind at rest then... are you saying that the Rip to Image (i.e. .iso) feature won't be guaranteed to work perfectly with standard DVDs BECAUSE of the inherent nature of their structural copy protection (which something like CloneDVD's .iso ripper is better informed to handle)? - and that this isn't a problem for BDs because they don't feature the same kind of protection...??

It's not that it isn't guaranteed to work perfectly. They just don't function the same. The AnyDVD ripper Ript Video DVD to Harddisk... method and CloneDVD can do remastering. I do not believe CloneCD does any remastering. IMHO, CloneDVD is the method I would use when dealing with structural protections.

Just for the record I have registered copies of CloneCD, CloneDVD, CloneDVD mobile, and AnyDVD HD.

Right. I'm with you on the intelligence of e.g. CloneDVD to do remastering by understanding the nature of the content and reconstructing a syntactically legal version from the purposefully error-laden original.

It just seems to me that by creating a 'brain-dead' (for lack of a better phrase) bit-for-bit copy, structure protection and all (as I 'think'! you are implying both AnyDVD's ripper and CloneCD will do), you SHOULD be able to reload such an .iso via Virtual CloneDrive and have AnyDVD operate on it AS IF THE ORIGINAL DISC had been inserted.

Or is this where I have got the wrong end of the proverbial stick??!!

(I THANK YOU for indulging my fervent questions!)

Right. I'm with you on the intelligence of e.g. CloneDVD to do remastering by understanding the nature of the content and reconstructing a syntactically legal version from the purposefully error-laden original.

It just seems to me that by creating a 'brain-dead' (for lack of a better phrase) bit-for-bit copy, structure protection and all (as I 'think'! you are implying both AnyDVD's ripper and CloneCD will do), you SHOULD be able to reload such an .iso via Virtual CloneDrive and have AnyDVD operate on it AS IF THE ORIGINAL DISC had been inserted.

Or is this where I have got the wrong end of the proverbial stick??!!

(I THANK YOU for indulging my fervent questions!)

Either method will work perfectly. CloneDVD or the Rip Video DVD to Harddisk... does it more... elegantly, IMHO, as compared to CloneCD or Rip to Image....

Nonetheless, all the programs are works of art and do their jobs extremely well. :)

The AnyDVD ripper indeed removes structural protections on the rip to DVD folder option. So it's not a "brain dead" rip. I'm not sure what the rip to ISO feature does or does not leave behind.

-W

Apologies Clams Canino - I meant the 'Rip to Image' feature was the more "straight-forward" of the two, not required to understand the underlying DVD structure... Brain-dead is perhaps a poor choice of words!

I appreciate that the Rip to Harddisk (folder) is much more intelligent and deals with remastering the content.

It is also my current assumption (until someone corrects me) that the 'Keep Protection (Blu-Ray/HD DVD)' option for the 'Rip to Image' tool has no effect on standard DVDs...

The AnyDVD ripper indeed removes structural protections on the rip to DVD folder option. So it's not a "brain dead" rip. I'm not sure what the rip to ISO feature does or does not leave behind.

-W

It's similar to CloneCD.

It is also my current assumption (until someone corrects me) that the 'Keep Protection (Blu-Ray/HD DVD)' option for the 'Rip to Image' tool has no effect on standard DVDs...

This is correct.

Seeing other advice around these forums, I guess I'll stick with "Rip Video DVD to Harddisk" for DVDs since that is the processing engine derived from CloneDVD specifically for DVD sources.

Thanks for all your help and answers (and tolerance!).

Seeing other advice around these forums, I guess I'll stick with "Rip Video DVD to Harddisk" for DVDs since that is the processing engine derived from CloneDVD specifically for DVD sources.

If using CloneDVD isn't an option then, yes, this is what I would recommend doing. Leave the Rip to Image... function for HD-DVD/BD discs.

Thanks for all your help and answers (and tolerance!).

Glad to help.

If using CloneDVD isn't an option then, yes, this is what I would recommend doing.

I have a question about this answer because I keep seeing the direction to use CloneDVD over the AnyDVD ripper....

1. The ripper in AnyDVD is the same as the one in CloneDVD - yes?

2. If YES to #1 - If all what I want is a full rip to a folder then is there a difference to which one I use? and why?

Similar yes but different at the same as CloneDVD2 can exclude some chapters in the rip like adverts and sometimes the warning window.

I have a question about this answer because I keep seeing the direction to use CloneDVD over the AnyDVD ripper....

1. The ripper in AnyDVD is the same as the one in CloneDVD - yes?

2. If YES to #1 - If all what I want is a full rip to a folder then is there a difference to which one I use? and why?

If all you want is a full rip to a folder, then they are both functionally the same. It doesn't matter which one you use.

-W

How much faster? Since all machines are different, say percentage wise??

-W

-W

I'd say the difference is maybe 1-3 minutes maximum depending on the disc from my experiences. I can't give you a percentage. The difference is negligible, IMHO.

I haven't paid enough attention, but with some discs that I've tested on my fastest system, the difference can be around 30 seconds to a minute. I don't think this issue has anything to do with cpu speed really. Regardless, Clonedvd rips faster on all systems.

Back