• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Rip to image BD-25 support?

mulox

I know there is a link out here to long thread that started in 2009 about shrinking Blu-ray content down, using a number of tools/steps, but the goal of that is to strip out content (trailers, 480p version, features) and other things like subtitles and other audio. While it is somewhat simple, it still has too many steps and takes about 1 hour total process (and that does NOT include rip time).

I see a competing software product out there (Fab) that does the copy/rip and re-encode all in one step down to BD-25, which is very appealing to me, because it:

- Keeps all original content, including trailers, audio, which I want
- Makes the whole process one-click, one-step, great for overnight jobs
- Shrinks everything down to a standard size, freeing up tons of space on my hard drive, much less than the other process/solution
- Makes the resulting ISO file ready to burn to a BD-25, if I want to (I won't need to most of the time, but nice to have the option)

The down side is that the re-encoding takes forever, and loss of A/V quality is possible, although that is subjective to the eye of the viewer. I am OK with both of these, but I am not OK with spending money on yet another tool from Fab.

My question is, will SlySoft ever consider adding support for re-encoding/shrinking in a future release? Pretty please? :)

Why pay for DVDCrap when BD-Rebuilder can do the same thing FOR FREE. All DVDCrap does is rip off stuff posted on doom9 for free, throw their own gui on it and charge you for it.

BD-Rebuilder beats the crap out out DVDCrap

DVDCrap

Thanks Ch3vr0n. I have heard of BDR before, and saw some posts about it being not user-friendly, along with some other issues, so I never tried it (and that was some time ago). I will give it another shot until CloneBD comes out anyway...

Not very user friendly is wrong imo. You just gotta set it up properly and read the options correctly. When setup properly all you gotta do is hit backup and voila an instant shrink of a full BD25 down to BD25 with all features intact, it also has a whole lot of other options.

@ mulox

For people who are NOT dvd fans, don't want to be involved with software programs, don't want to custom build their own dvd's, just want to rip and burn sometimes.

Use BD-R 50gb dual layer disks and you get all that is on the source Blu-ray disk. And, very small waiting time.

AnyDVD HD
Imgburn

Thanks Fast Eddie, but the primary requirement here is to reduce footprint and maximize storage space. The part-time burn requirement is very low in priority.

Why pay for DVDCrap when BD-Rebuilder can do the same thing FOR FREE. All DVDCrap does is rip off stuff posted on doom9 for free, throw their own gui on it and charge you for it.

BD-Rebuilder beats the crap out out DVDCrap

Please don't take this as being disrespectful is any way, but isn't CloneDVD Mobile (a SlySoft product) just a wrapper around ffmpeg and mencoder that SlySoft charges for (other than for the developers of said products)? Also, doesn't jdobbs (maker of BD-Rebuilder) charge for DVD REBUILDER PRO (a $29.95 donation) and also accept "donations" for BD-Rebuilder (in beta) which is a "rip-off" (your words not mine) of freely available products? Just saying.

BD Rebuilder

I just went to download BDR, and it looks like it needs 3 helper apps to run: ffdshow, Haali Media Splitter and avisynth. Sounds complicated...

I just went to download BDR, and it looks like it needs 3 helper apps to run: ffdshow, Haali Media Splitter and avisynth. Sounds complicated...

Yes you will need to install those three apps but BD-Rebuilder will use them automatically when it is compressing/shrinking a Blu-ray movie down.

Its not like you will need to operate those apps manually.

I've used BD-Rebuilder in 'Movie only' mode on about 50 movies and it works great and it maintains outstanding video quality even when it shrinks a 30-35GB movie file down to 23.5GB to fit a BD-25 blank disk.

The only peculiarities are that you need to follow the step by step installation of BD-Rebuilder and those 3 apps need to be the correct version and installed in a particular order. It is all free and it is all posted here.

Read and follow the installation steps and use the version of apps in the steps with the provided links. - http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=143716

And if you do decide to use BD rebuilder, and their is a beta update to BD rebuilder, be sure to re-check the INSPECT folder/file to see if the sub software programs are still valid with the current version or maybe the sub software programs may need an update.

Please don't take this as being disrespectful is any way, but isn't CloneDVD Mobile (a SlySoft product) just a wrapper around ffmpeg and mencoder that SlySoft charges for (other than for the developers of said products)?

No, as ffmeg is available under the GPL license and slysoft modified / added code for cloneDVD Mobile

Also, doesn't jdobbs (maker of BD-Rebuilder) charge for DVD REBUILDER PRO (a $29.95 donation) and also accept "donations" for BD-Rebuilder (in beta) which is a "rip-off" (your words not mine) of freely available products? Just saying.

No again, for starters it's DVDFAB (fengtao dev) that is ripping ppl off. NOT JDOBBS. Secondly the charge for DVDRB Pro is exactly that you get a version with more features, more things supported etc. His own work.
Third, about the donations for BDRB, thats exactly what they are, ppl WILLINGLY give money. Thats what donations are, nobody is forced to pay for bdrb or to pay him for software that isnt his to charge for (unlike what dvdfab is doing)

About the 3 helper aps, yes it needs them. But you don't have to operate them manually. all you gotta do is install them, configure FFDShow to the recommended settings and thats it. BDRB calls the support aps and tells them what to do and how. You just gotta sit back and watch the magic happen

Listen, I was simply pointing out the fact that most everyone is using the same freely available code in their products to do the heavy lifting. The model in which they choose to be compenstated for their efforts may be different. You can split hairs anyway you want but at the end of the day they are ALL guilty of charging for products which are based on others peoples work. BTW - I'm pretty sure people that are paying for these products are doing so "WILLINGLY" :)

I use both BD Rebuilder and FAB myself.

I can tell you that Fab has a great add on called bluray to dvd that works great and in my opinion better than bd rebuilders , also Fab uses CUDA if you have a nvidia card and it makes the job way faster. I also use Fab to strip out just the main movie because Clownbd messes up on me sometimes. Converting a blu to a normal dvd is great if you need a copy for the car and is a new feature to bd rebuilder as well , but fab does a great job and super easy , its a nice addition if you ask me...

For getting it down to bd25 media I do prefer BD Rebuilder but only because Fab seems to take longer to reduce the film than bdrebuilder and I dont have the latest and greatest pc.

The key to using bd rebuilder is to download all the necessary files from the bd-rebuilder main forum post on doom9 it is important to use only those files and not any other version of those files. He also includes a file called inspector that will tell you if everything is there as expected. Once its up and running you are set.

@jhkilroy have you noticed any difference in quality using the CUDA and/or Lightning-Recoding when using Fab? Does the speed increase come at the expense of encoding quality?

@jhkilroy have you noticed any difference in quality using the CUDA and/or Lightning-Recoding when using Fab? Does the speed increase come at the expense of encoding quality?

I usually use BD-RB, but occasionally I use VSO's Blu-ray to DVD which also uses the CUDA technology. It's faster w/CUDA using my Core 2 Duo T9900 laptop, but you won't see much difference if you are running a quad core chip. In a way, CUDA makes me feel like I have a triple core chip on my laptop. And no difference in the PQ.

Here is a sample log.

2011-01-15 13:00:35 Info Conversion process completed successfully
2011-01-15 13:00:35 Info Rendering rate: 1.50 x Realtime
2011-01-15 13:00:35 Info DVD duration (incl. menus) 01:43:27 (~ 6207 sec.) - rendering time 01:08:58
2011-01-15 13:00:35 Info Generated duration 6207.67 sec., expected 6208.26 sec.
2011-01-15 13:00:35 Info 870 subtitles frames encoded in subtitle stream #1
2011-01-15 13:00:35 Info P-SDT buffer Underflow 1 times, 1260 bytes peak
2011-01-15 13:00:35 Info 4 frames duplicated
2011-01-15 11:51:36 Info Stream #2 - Audio sync at 160.00 ms: 73.71 ms added
2011-01-15 11:51:36 Info Output Stream #3 (SUBTITLE) - dvdsub, 64 kb/s
2011-01-15 11:51:36 Info Audio settings: Automatic
2011-01-15 11:51:36 Info Output Stream #2 (AUDIO) - ac3, 48000 Hz, 5.1, 448 kb/s
2011-01-15 11:51:36 Info Encoding English, AC3, 6 ch. with 2 threads
2011-01-15 11:51:36 Info Output Stream #1 (VIDEO) - mpeg2video, yuv420p, 720x480 [PAR 32:27 DAR 16:9], q=1-31, 8409 kb/s, pulldown: 23.976 -> 29.97 Fps
2011-01-15 11:51:36 Info Encoding MPEG-2 with 2 threads
2011-01-15 11:51:36 Info Decoding Audio: ac3, 48000 Hz, 5.1, s16, 640 kb/s with 2 threads
2011-01-15 11:51:36 Info Decoding Video: H264 CUDA, yuv420p, 1920x1080 [PAR 1:1 DAR 16:9], 33999 kb/s with 2 threads
2011-01-15 11:51:36 Info Video processing: Lanczos (VSO) resampler (1920*1080)->(720*480) 2 threads
2011-01-15 11:51:36 Info 3 Stream(s) found - est. duration 01:43:28.256, reference 01:43:28.256
2011-01-15 11:51:36 Info Opening file "E:\Movies\THE EXPENDABLES\BDMV\index.bdmv"
2011-01-15 11:51:36 Info Output folder : C:\Users\\Documents\VSOBlurayConverter\
2011-01-15 11:51:36 Info Maximum target size : 7.95 GB.
2011-01-15 11:51:36 Info Video quality selected : Best quality. Resize filter used for video : Windowed sinc Lanczos (VSO)

It's fast all right, but the PQ is just like SD, not HD. That's why I use BD-RB most of the time. :)

Last edited:

The converted dvd looks very good , I haven't noticed any problems with it , the cuda conversion usually take about 2 hours or less , it knocks it out at around 25 fps , without cuda its like 12 to 16 at least on my older machine... and I'm using a 8500gtx - not even near the latest and greatest card... fab recommends a 260gtx or better -- so your mileage may vary....

I have been waiting over a year for clonebd to arrive but now I have just capitulated and use whats out there , free or pay , whatever gets the job done.

So I decided to download DVDFab Blu-ray copy and compare the output quality and decoding/encoding speed to that of BD Rebuilder. I was not concerned with "ease of install" or "ease of use" where DVDFab clearly has the upper hand over BD Rebuilder (for the "average" user).

In my tests I was recoding BD50 to BD25, movie only mode (the movie did not fit on BD25 without recoding, including removing HD audio).

My video card is an ATI Radeon HD 5670, so I could not test using the "CUDA" setting.

The DVDFab quality settings was "High/Slow" for all tests (3). The BD Rebuilder quality setting was "Automatic Quality Setting" for comparison.

First off, in my first test I found that using the "DXVA" setting for decoding and encoding in DVDFab produced horrible results when compared to BD Rebuilder. Even when using the High/Slow quality setting. I do NOT recommend using this setting.

I ran the test a second time, this time I set DVDFab to use "software" encoding and "software" decoding and the results were every bit as good as what I got using BD Rebuilder. It also ran in about the same amount of time as BD Rebuilder (using the "Automatic Quality Setting"). Basically, there was no real difference between the two and they both looked just like the original.

I ran the test a third time, this time I turned on "Lightning Recoding" and left all the other settings the same. Let me tell you, they are on to something with this "Lightning Recoding". The results were every bit as good as the previous test and the encoding time went from 1:58 minutes down to 1:02 minutes. That a significant decrease in recoding time!

I realize that there are many other program options available but hopefully someone will find this information useful when deciding on a program to use for Blu-ray recoding while SlySoft readies CloneBD.

Note to the SlySoft developers, if you want me to beta test CloneBD when it's available just let me know! Really... let me know!

You do realise that DVDFab just nicked the BD Rebuilder code and incorporated their own front end. All they've done is used a different setting than the 'automatic' BD rebuilder setting

DVDFab is build from BD Rebuilder? Where are the "CUDA" and "Lightning Recoding" settings so that I can test those?

Back