• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Rip to Harddisk vs Image

Zavion

Hi all,

I know that for standard DvD's it is recommended that you rip to Harddisk buy what about Ble-Ray?

I just upgraded to AnyDVD HD and went torip to Harddisk and had a warning to rip to Image instead? I want to use HandBrake to convert it to a M4V format. What is my best option?

Sorry if this question has been asked before.. I took a quick look but I do not have a lot of time to search further.

Thanks
Z

I just upgraded to AnyDVD HD and went torip to Harddisk and had a warning to rip to Image instead? I want to use HandBrake to convert it to a M4V format. What is my best option?

You don't "rip" at all. Just use the player / converter / program.

The advantage to ripping to hard drive in either image or folder format is that you don't suddenly get an encoder failure due to a read error from the Blu-ray disc.
I've not used Handbrake, but I would assume either folder or mounted ISO would work with it

OK now I am really confused. I thought I had to use AnyDVD HD to rip it to either the Harddisk or Image before I could use a converter like HandBrake to convert it to a different format. What am I missing?

Thanks
Jesse

you don't HAVE to, but processing a disc that's ripped to a harddrive will go faster then when processing straight from the disc drive. HDD are just faster.

Why was there a warning when I tried to rip to the harddisk. AnyDvd Recommended I create am image instead. I can get the exact message when I get home if that is helpful.

OK now I am really confused. I thought I had to use AnyDVD HD to rip it to either the Harddisk or Image before I could use a converter like HandBrake to convert it to a different format. What am I missing?

Your are missing the beauty of AnyDVD's design. (Don't worry, a lot of people do, and it really hurts me, as programming an on-the-fly decryption and remastering tool is many times more difficult than programming a simple "ripper".
I often wonder why we go through all the trouble of "magic file and sector replacement" when most of the people don't know or care... ).

You insert a disc, AnyDVD does "it's thing", and the OS and every program sees a freshly inserted, completely unprotected disc. You can use every converter, copy program, the command prompt, Windows explorer, .... to do whatever you want. The "rip" thingy is mostly for people who "don't get it" and constantly ask "where is the copy button?".

Why was there a warning when I tried to rip to the harddisk. AnyDvd Recommended I create am image instead. I can get the exact message when I get home if that is helpful.

3D disc? Or "keep protection" clicked? Maybe you should quote the warning? ;)

you don't HAVE to, but processing a disc that's ripped to a harddrive will go faster then when processing straight from the disc drive. HDD are just faster.

Sorry, but I don't follow. Processing a disc is slow, usually slower than the drive's max. read speed. So IMHO ripping to HD doesn't accomplish anything speedwise, you just loose 1/2 and hour for the "rip".

You insert a disc, AnyDVD does "it's thing", and the OS and every program sees a freshly inserted, completely unprotected disc. You can use every converter, copy program, the command prompt, Windows explorer, .... to do whatever you want. The "rip" thingy is mostly for people who "don't get it" and constantly ask "where is the copy button?".
This is not true for DVD's though as you have to rip to hardrive if you want to be able to use older DVD shrinking programs on some newer discs. Also we do 'get it' we just prefer to rip to the harddrive first and not risk a read error from the optical drive which then means you may have wasted hours before the encode hits the read error whereas ripping to the harddrive first means you've eliminated that problem or find out you have the problem before you start encoding, also encoding direct from the disc puts increased wear and tear on the optical disc and drive as it may be spinning for hours during the encoding process.

There's also the added benefit of being able to batch convert if you've already ripped to the harddrive which you can't do if you convert direct from the disc

Last edited:
So is:

Rip DVD to HDD with a blu-ray = BDMV Folder?

While of course Rip to Image is Iso.

You should end up with a BDMV and a Certificate folder

This is not true for DVD's though as you have to rip to hardrive if you want to be able to use older DVD shrinking programs on some newer discs.
CloneDVD (mobile) is your friend. But we are talking about Blu-ray discs, aren't we?

Also we do 'get it'
You do. Most people don't.

Me: Try to play the disc with PowerDVD.
User: Okay, I'm ripping it now, will come back, when done.
Me: :bang:

You read the forum, you know what I mean.

we just prefer to rip to the harddrive first and not risk a read error from the optical drive which then means you may have wasted hours before the encode hits the read error whereas ripping to the harddrive first means you've eliminated that problem or find out you have the problem before you start encoding,
That's true, but that's not what Ch3vr0n said.

also encoding direct from the disc puts increased wear and tear on the optical disc and drive as it may be spinning for hours during the encoding process.

Maybe, but I doubt that spinning a disc will harm a drive... much.

There's also the added benefit of being able to batch convert if you've already ripped to the harddrive which you can't do if you convert direct from the disc

True as well. Although you could batch convert from the original disc as well, it would indeed work.

The point I was trying to make, isn't that you should not rip at all.
What I was trying to say is, that you *don't need to* rip with AnyDVD *if you don't want to*, and a lot of people really don't know this (including the starter of this very thread), because they don't understand how AnyDVD works.

You can't really batch convert from the original disc as you would need to change the disc over at the end of each disc when batch converting multiple films or a whole TV season, I often do this, rip them all to the harddrive, set up the batch queue for the whole set then come back in the morning and they are all done with the added bonus of not having the optical drive constantly whirring away making more noise all night

adbear said:
This is not true for DVD's though as you have to rip to hardrive if you want to be able to use older DVD shrinking programs on some newer discs.
James said:
CloneDVD (mobile) is your friend. But we are talking about Blu-ray discs, aren't we?
There was no stipulation that we were only talking about Blu-rays, and telling people to use CloneDVD (mobile) then negates parts of this statement
James said:
You insert a disc, AnyDVD does "it's thing", and the OS and every program sees a freshly inserted, completely unprotected disc. You can use every converter, copy program, the command prompt, Windows explorer, .... to do whatever you want.
as for those DVD's that have this protection you can't just use anything you like, you have to use either CloneDVD/mobile or rip to the harddrive first

I like your programs and have been using them for years and look forward to using them for years to come, I just wanted to point out the strong valid reasons why people would rip to harddrive first and the slight inaccuracies in some of the statements.

Last edited:
You can't really batch convert from the original disc as you would need to change the disc over at the end of each disc when batch converting multiple films or a whole TV season, I often do this, rip them all to the harddrive, set up the batch queue for the whole set then come back in the morning and they are all done with the added bonus of not having the optical drive constantly whirring away making more noise all night
Ah, I was thinking of batch converting the same disc to different formats.

There was no stipulation that we were only talking about Blu-rays
Of course there was. Check the question of the thread starter in the first post of this very thread.

and telling people to use CloneDVD (mobile) then negates parts of this statement as for those DVD's that have this protection you can't just use anything you like, you have to use either CloneDVD/mobile or rip to the harddrive first

Drifting more off topic, I slightly disagree. You *don't* have to rip to harddisk first with these programs (and tcclone, which I forgot to mention, maybe there are others).
You *don't* have to rip to harddisk if you want to watch on your PC region code & FBI warning free. Or to try the effect of all settings, including speed menus.

That's all I wanted to say, you don't *need* to rip first, which a lot of people don't know or don't understand (yes, it's magic!), *including the starter of this very thread who asked a question about ripping Blu-ray discs*.

You can do it if you want, of course.

Thanks for the help. I did not know that I could convert it straight from the DvD. :)

Just a fyi here is the error I did initally get.

"The "rip to folder / rip video DVD to Harddisk" function you are performing is not intended for use with 3D Blu-Ray discs. You should use the 'rip to image' function instead.

Has anyone ripped to a SSD and then converted the movie? Is there a noticeable speed diff?

Thanks Again
Z

Blu Ray Quaility

I just reasonly purchached Any/DVD HD and I can't tell the difference between my dvd copies against my blu ray copies. Should there be a noticable difference right away or am I doing something wrong?

not sure what you mean, AnyDVD removes the encryption from the discs, it doesn't do anything to the quality of the video or audio streams

Back