• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Rip to Harddisk Produces Errors not ISO

KWSchneider

After ripping more than 500 BluRays, I've determined that AnyDVD occasionally has a problem in producing synchronized m2ts files WHEN ripping to Harddisk. For example, on both the Last Waltz and Once Upon a Time in the West BluRays, ripping to HD produced m2ts files that were unusable in EAC3to or TSMuxer [3 attempts]. However, ripping to ISO and then extracting using ISOBuster produced accurate files that were cleanly demuxable.

The files are identical in size but cannot be demuxed when ripped to HD. Seems like there is a slight bug in the iso extraction step. I may be forced to rip to ISO and then manually extract all future rips just to be sure, which will add additional time and steps to the process.

Now I know why one or two of my recodes have some minor "glitches" in them.

Kurt

For example, on both the Last Waltz and Once Upon a Time in the West BluRays, ripping to HD produced m2ts files that were unusable in EAC3to or TSMuxer [3 attempts]

However, ripping to ISO and then extracting using ISOBuster produced accurate files that were cleanly demuxable.

So let me see when you rip to video you can't edit video but in ISO format it works fine. That to me would conclude it isn't a anydvd HD problem but more related to your software you using. And since you already stated you done over 500 ripping of blue-rayss would suggest Anydvd HD isn't the problem otherwise you would have said something long before this. You should check for your software to see if there is updates to them or time to upgrade to a newer version of those software your using.

So let me see when you rip to video you can't edit video but in ISO format it works fine. That to me would conclude it isn't a anydvd HD problem but more related to your software you using. And since you already stated you done over 500 ripping of blue-rayss would suggest Anydvd HD isn't the problem otherwise you would have said something long before this. You should check for your software to see if there is updates to them or time to upgrade to a newer version of those software your using.

You really don't understand - when you rip to Harddisk, AnyDVD produces a Certificate and a BDMV directory, containing among other things, a Stream directory [m2ts files] and a Playlist directory [mpls files]. These are extracted from the ISO by AnyDVD.

When you rip to ISO, you get the SAME THING contained in an ISO format but NOT extracted by AnyDVD. So the ONLY DIFFERENCE between the two, is that AnyDVD extracted one set [unplayable, undemuxable] from the ISO and didn't extract the other set [playable, demuxable, after external extraction from ISO].

For the two movies I referenced [and the movie "300" in HDDVD], I discovered that the "Rip to Harddisk" versions of the m2ts files are NOT THE SAME as the "Rip to ISO" versions, although they are identical in size. The "Rip to ISO" versions can be played and demuxed, whereas the "Rip to Harddrive" cannot.

So clearly it has nothing to do with the demuxing software since we are demuxing "supposedly" identical files in identical formats, both PRODUCED BY ANYDVD - yet in these three documented cases [albeit out of 500], AnyDVD has an ISO extraction problem. It produces extracted files that are unplayable.

This may be an issue to a lesser extent on many more - I noticed that EAC3to "repaired" some minor sync issues on probably 25 more videos over the course of the 500 rips.

And I reported it now because it took me this long to figure it out...

I don't really need this corrected since there is a work-around - I just wanted to report it for folks having sync issues that they can't resolve. I'm not sure whether you work for AnyDVD or not, but this is CLEARLY an AnyDVD issue. NOW - it may only appear on some systems [I'm Win7 x86] and not on others, but it has absolutely nothing to do with any of the other software I'm using. I'm simply comparing two sets of files, BOTH produced by AnyDVD - one is right and the other is not.

Kurt

So let me see when you rip to video you can't edit video but in ISO format it works fine. That to me would conclude it isn't a anydvd HD problem but more related to your software you using.

AnyDVD -> Rip to hard drive -> M2TS files are unusable (occasionally), AnyDVD -> Rip to Image -> ISO Buster -> M2TS files are usable.

How pray tell do you conclude that this "isn't a [sic] anydvd HD problem but more related to your [sic] software you [sic] using" ???

the eac3 sync message is pretty normal and I've seen it do that on Blu-ray discs I've authored my self

After ripping more than 500 BluRays, I've determined that AnyDVD occasionally has a problem in producing synchronized m2ts files WHEN ripping to Harddisk. For example, on both the Last Waltz and Once Upon a Time in the West BluRays, ripping to HD produced m2ts files that were unusable in EAC3to or TSMuxer [3 attempts]. However, ripping to ISO and then extracting using ISOBuster produced accurate files that were cleanly demuxable.

The files are identical in size but cannot be demuxed when ripped to HD. Seems like there is a slight bug in the iso extraction step. I may be forced to rip to ISO and then manually extract all future rips just to be sure, which will add additional time and steps to the process.

Now I know why one or two of my recodes have some minor "glitches" in them.

Kurt
Can you elaborate how you "rip to HD"? Using Explorer? Copy command from a cmd prompt?

Can you elaborate how you "rip to HD"? Using Explorer? Copy command from a cmd prompt?

For "Rip to HD", I right click on AnyDVD on the taskbar, choose "Rip Video DVD to Harddisk" and let AnyDVD extract the files.

For "Rip to ISO", I right click on AnyDVD on the taskbar, choose "Rip to Image" [unchecked options] and let AnyDVD create an unencrypted image.

Kurt

the eac3 sync message is pretty normal and I've seen it do that on Blu-ray discs I've authored my self

That's good to hear. On the three movies I mentioned:

1) the MAIN m2ts file would not play [or played with drop-outs or major pixelation] on WMP or VLC when "ripped to hard drive"
2) when trying to demux, repeated sync errors lead to a crash by EAC3to

However, when "ripped to ISO" and manually extracted, the movies had no sync issues whatsoever.

When ripping to hard drive, I'm not sure whether AnyDVD extracts first, then decrypts, or decrypts and then extracts. But whatever is being done, fails on these three titles.

Kurt

For "Rip to HD", I right click on AnyDVD on the taskbar, choose "Rip Video DVD to Harddisk" and let AnyDVD extract the files.

For "Rip to ISO", I right click on AnyDVD on the taskbar, choose "Rip to Image" [unchecked options] and let AnyDVD create an unencrypted image.

Kurt

What happens if you don't rip at all and use the conversion program on the original disc?

What happens if you don't rip at all and use the conversion program on the original disc?

Not sure what you mean? I never received a disk from AnyDVD to my knowledge, just a key via email.

Kurt

He means leave the original Blu-ray in the drive with AnyDVD running in the background and do the conversion from the original disc

I suspect it would work fine, as that would be the equivalent of using ISO Buster on the ISO image.

But then so should ripping to folders as that should be the same as unpacking an ISO. I'm sure James has his own reasons for asking

AnyDVD does do some reauthoring for DVD's when doing Rip to Hard Drive as it includes code from CloneDVD, not sure what Rip to Hard Drive does with Blu-Ray discs.

AnyDVD does do some reauthoring for DVD's when doing Rip to Hard Drive as it includes code from CloneDVD, not sure what Rip to Hard Drive does with Blu-Ray discs.

Really I RIP to Image and created a ISO and burned back with Imgburn and produced a 1:1 copy of my BD and display looked just like the original. So if your using another feature of Speed menu maybe you should disable it and just do the RIP to Image without the Speed Menu and then burn back with Imgburn to blank BD-R media and run it to see what is going on with your BD media. That in itself will tell you want is happening.

The alteration to the files should be the same whether you're playing it back from the original Blu-ray with AnyDVD HD running in the background, ripping it to harddrive or making an unprotected ISO as it's always the same encryption that has to be removed

He means leave the original Blu-ray in the drive with AnyDVD running in the background and do the conversion from the original disc

Again - not sure what you mean. The original disk is in the hard drive when I use either option. Whether the disk is in the hard drive when I extract the BDMV folder from the unencrypted ISO that AnyDVD produces is irrelevant.

And AnyDVD is running in the background at all tiimes, otherwise I wouldn't be able to access the task bar icon.

Kurt

Really I RIP to Image and created a ISO and burned back with Imgburn and produced a 1:1 copy of my BD and display looked just like the original. So if your using another feature of Speed menu maybe you should disable it and just do the RIP to Image without the Speed Menu and then burn back with Imgburn to blank BD-R media and run it to see what is going on with your BD media. That in itself will tell you want is happening.

I've never said I had a problem with ISO creation - the problem lies with the "Rip to Hard Drive". Since I shrink all of my BluRays to 720p for local streaming and lower storage requirements, going directly to a BDMV folder for demuxing and bypassing the ISO phase is significantly faster.

Perhaps there is a way to demux directly from within the unencrypted ISO that AnyDVD produces - since this is the only form of unencryption that I now trust.

Kurt

Again - not sure what you mean. The original disk is in the hard drive when I use either option. Whether the disk is in the hard drive when I extract the BDMV folder from the unencrypted ISO that AnyDVD produces is irrelevant.

And AnyDVD is running in the background at all tiimes, otherwise I wouldn't be able to access the task bar icon.

Kurt
James wants you to try running eac3to or tsmuxer on the original disc with AnyDVD HD running in the background instead of from the rip or ISO

Really I RIP to Image and created a ISO and burned back with Imgburn and produced a 1:1 copy of my BD and display looked just like the original.

Of course, with Rip to Image. I was talking about Rip to Hard Drive.

Back