• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Rip DVD to Harddisk = xcopy *.* ?

sub0ptimal

Is "Rip DVD to Harddisk" the same as copying all the files, or does it do other stuff also? (e.g. fix structural protection?)

I am trying to troubleshoot a problem with Anydvd HD crashing while doing a Rip to Harddisk. (Right click tray icon, "Rip Video DVD to Harddisk...") When I am backing up several discs at once, on my system, this crashes anydvd about 1/4 of the time. Tray icon gone, windows closed, no errors on screen.

It's no problem to delete and start over, but I could replace this with a script to do a xcopy on the dvd drive if "rip to harddisk" is the same as a "xcopy *.* /s"

Thanks

No, it isn't the same. It does reauthor the disc. It uses code from CloneDVD. It is the equivalent of copying the entire disc to the hard drive using CloneDVD with no "shrinking" and all items from the disc selected.

Is "Rip DVD to Harddisk" the same as copying all the files, or does it do other stuff also? (e.g. fix structural protection?)

I am trying to troubleshoot a problem with Anydvd HD crashing while doing a Rip to Harddisk. (Right click tray icon, "Rip Video DVD to Harddisk...") When I am backing up several discs at once, on my system, this crashes anydvd about 1/4 of the time. Tray icon gone, windows closed, no errors on screen.

It's no problem to delete and start over, but I could replace this with a script to do a xcopy on the dvd drive if "rip to harddisk" is the same as a "xcopy *.* /s"

Thanks

Since you're posting in the AnyDVD HD forum, I assume you're talking about a Blu-ray disc? In that case, it is exactly the same thing.

Since you're posting in the AnyDVD HD forum, I assume you're talking about a Blu-ray disc? In that case, it is exactly the same thing.
Wouldn't that be true of DVDs also? Is there *any* need to reauthor when you're copying the entire disc to HDD without shrinking, other than what AnyDVD itself does to break protection (which works even with Xcopy)?

I wonder about that because the original purpose of AnyDVD's built-in rippers was to let folks keep using their favorite third-party DVD tools (i.e., the venerable old DVD Decrypter) that were broken by DVD structural protections SlySoft was able to overcome. In that case, wouldn't it be the third-party tool doing the reauthoring?

Thanks. Typically it is a mixture of Blu-ray and DVD.

So if I am wanting to transcode a Blu-ray, I should be able to xcopy the files to my hard drive or NAS and all is well. But not so with DVD?

Is there a way to automate the Rip to Disk operation? e.g. through the AnyDVD.exe command line?

I'm not blaming AnyDVD HD, I'm just trying to work around this issue which looks to be unique to my setup. (RAID controller with 6 optical drives, NAS, etc)

Back