• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Retry on bad read

Scott Adams

I sometimes get a Blu ray that is not scratched but will come up failure to read on sectors with a retry button. Pressing it usually gets past the error but sometimes it takes 2 or 3 tries.

Is there a way to tell AnyDvd ripper mode to keep trying on errors (perhaps giving a modeless dialog box with the current count)?

If not is there a place to make feature suggestions?

Thanks
Scott

Thanks. I read the link and did not see the reason why "retry always" feature could not be provided.

Anyways I would like to see one so if devs see this consider this a request. I really am happy with the program but this would make it even better.

That's not what that link is about, that's why. Real short: read errors on a Blu-ray: ALWAYS either defective disc and/or drive. Blu-ray doesn't have a protection mechanism that simulates bad sectors and read errors. Read errors on a Blu-ray are actual bad sectors. If your drive reads other discs fine, then what you have there is a borderline defective disc. Exchange it. No amount of retries will fix defective sectors.

Understood it is a borderline disk, but since pressing retry 3 or 4 times will read through it I would like the Anydvd to do it for me.

I had one disk with 20 different borderline areas. I was able to rip it eventually by pressing retry. Really would have been much quicker to have the software do it for me.

I suspect others would find this useful as well.

Thanks for your responses.

You could just run AnyDVD in the background and use Imgburn to rip the disc, that has retry options

AnyDVD will always retry several times before showing an error. Don't know how often, I have to look into the code, but IIRC about 10 times. The drive itself will probably retry 3 times to perform error correction. IMHO 30 retries really should be enough, and the last resort is the "Ignore" button.

Since it has worked by constantly pushing the retry button I again submit it would be nice if the software would do this for a last resort trial. This case is rare but does occur a couple of times a year for me.

Back