• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

[Resolved] Read errors that don't look like my problem

IzzyDeadyet

I've had the same problem with 2 Blu-Ray disks in the past 2 days, Superbad R1 and Spiderman 3 R1.

With both disks the Rip to HDD stops at about 22% and gives the error msg" Error reading from drive A:\", my BR-5100S drive.

I can rip to an image with CloneCD with AnyDVD HD disabled so it's not the disks or reader.

Here's the thing I found most interesting both those disks have one thing in common. They each have a directory called ANY!

This ANY! directory has a sub directory called Duplicate. The ANY! directory is followed by the regular BDMV and Certificate directories. I don't spend a lot of time looking at the directory structures usually and I'm not certain if this ANY! directory is common or not. It's difficult to Google a sentence with the word ANY! but I'm not seeing any results relating to Blu-Ray.

Just me or is it weird that the directory is called ANY! ... know what I mean.

The other problem is that the ANY! directory doesn't show up in the .LOG file which I have attached for Spiderman 3.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• AnyDVD_6.5.7.3_Info_A_SPIDER_MAN_3.zip
    143.7 KB · Views: 5
Consistently?

It doesn't really matter what you rip with--so long as it rips.

No. That's what Anydvd does . . .

Problem is that creating the image with CloneCD takes forever. It starts off at about 9200 kBytes/sec and around 30% drops to 30 kBytes/sec.

I just tried a couple of other disks, which rip to HDD fine, and they don't show an ANY! directory.

Any idea why Superbad and Spiderman 3 are both failing at around 22%?

Thanks

I just tried a couple of other disks, which rip to HDD fine, and they don't show an ANY! directory.

When Anydvd HD is decrypting an original disc, you will see an ANY! directory.
Otherwise, you may not.

Any idea why Superbad and Spiderman 3 are both failing at around 22%?

Bad disc/drive/driver issue

There's nothing on Blu-ray discs that prevent them from being ripped.

When Anydvd HD is decrypting an original disc, you will see an ANY! directory.
Otherwise, you may not.

Bad disc/drive/driver issue

There's nothing on Blu-ray discs that prevent them from being ripped.

Well I've looked at all of the drivers here: http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=15535 and don't have any of them installed.

The disks are new so I'm fairly confident that they're ok.

You say that I'll see the the ANY! directory while AnyDVD HD is decrypting an original disc but on these 2 titles the ANY! directory never disappears. Does that mean it's not decrypted?

Thanks

You say that I'll see the the ANY! directory while AnyDVD HD is decrypting an original disc but on these 2 titles the ANY! directory never disappears. Does that mean it's not decrypted?

It should never disappear with an original disc with Anydvd HD running in the background.

Just as badly pressed standard DVDs are sold the same goes with Blu-ray discs. While badly pressed Blu-ray discs may be less common the fact is that they do exist. Being new does not equate to being good.

Well I've looked at all of the drivers here: http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=15535 and don't have any of them installed.

Right, but there are probably combinations of other programs that when run with Anydvd causes issues that I'm not aware of.

Being new doesn't mean much at all, considering they can be defective right out of the packaging.

And it's possible the drive isn't o.k., either. Again, being new doesn't mean much.

Last edited:
You're correct ... being new doesn't mean much.

Turns out both discs in question had very very small defects on the surface.

A little TurtleWax and all is now good.

Thanks for the feedback WebSlinger

You're correct ... being new doesn't mean much.

Turns out both discs in question had very very small defects on the surface.

A little TurtleWax and all is now good.

I recently received Battlestar Galatica's complete Blu-ray box set. The discs basically slide into heavy paper sleeves. It's a horrible design to protect discs. And that situation is incredibly brutal considering the cost of this box set. The discs are basically loose and slide in and out of these heavy paper sleeves. You can imagine the potential for scratching. I'm not a huge fan of the series (I enjoy some episodes), but my g/f seems to enjoy watching it, so I basically bought it for her.

So now I have to go through and inspect 20 or so discs to ensure they aren't damaged. I am pretty annoyed. :bang:

Oh, and there is nothing listing what episodes are on what disc either, which is also very annoying, but that's another conversation.

Anyway, you aren't the only one who goes through crap like this.

Take care

Glad to hear I'm not alone.

I agree that the packaging is really poor on some discs. You would think that given how easy it is to scratch a disc more care would be taken.

A couple of months back I ordered my Daughter Sex and the City seasons 5, 6 and 6 Part 2. Season 6 Part 2 contained no discs. It was shrink wrapped and looked untouched but has no discs in it. Good thing Amazon is an easy company to deal with and they replaced it no problem.

Take care WS ... keep up the great Sylsoft work

So now I have to go through and inspect 20 or so discs to ensure they aren't damaged. I am pretty annoyed. :bang:

The good thing is that BD discs are hard coated and almost impossible to scratch (if they are scratched, you can consider the disc dead).

The bad thing is that they are very sensitive to dust, fingerprints, smudge, ...
but they can be cleaned easily.

The good thing is that BD discs are hard coated and almost impossible to scratch (if they are scratched, you can consider the disc dead).

Yeah, but I think the design of this set is such that discs could even get warped easily. It's similar to discs that just ship in cardboard sleeves. The package design is not good.

The HD-DVD Season 1 set of these discs also suffered from a lot of damage reports online (basically due to the way the discs were stored in the package). You'd think someone would have learned something by now.

attachment.php
(pic from Amazon's website)

Attachments

• battlestar.jpg
    battlestar.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

The bad thing is that they are very sensitive to dust, fingerprints, smudge, ...
but they can be cleaned easily.

I guess during the mechanical packaging process some minor scratches can occur. Both of my problem discs had very fine scratches. Thank goodness for car wax, or brasso, or 1500 sand paper ;)

Yeah, but I think the design of this set is such that discs could even get warped easily. It's similar to discs that just ship in cardboard sleeves. The package design is not good.

The HD-DVD Season 1 set of these discs also suffered from a lot of damage reports online (basically due to the way the discs were stored in the package). You'd think someone would have learned something by now.

attachment.php
(pic from Amazon's website)

Yup, for the amount of $$ they sell this stuff for you think they would take more care.

This conversation seems like the perfect argument for backing up media ;)

I recently received Battlestar Galatica's complete Blu-ray box set. The discs basically slide into heavy paper sleeves. It's a horrible design to protect discs. And that situation is incredibly brutal considering the cost of this box set. The discs are basically loose and slide in and out of these heavy paper sleeves. You can imagine the potential for scratching. I'm not a huge fan of the series (I enjoy some episodes), but my g/f seems to enjoy watching it, so I basically bought it for her.

The first thing I did when I got that set was to take all the disks out & put them in new 6-disk blu-ray cases (one for each season). The 6-disk cases aren't cheap, but they are great for all those sets that come in ridiculous packaging.

Back