• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

[Resolved] I have an ongoing problem with CloneDVD

dbknox

First some specks
Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 1 (build 6001)
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM_GSA-H60N ATA Device [CD-ROM drive]
2.10 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core, Board: Acer F690GVM
2GIGs ram
Clonedvd 2.9.2.0
AnyDVD 6511 ( just downloaded 6515) this trouble has been plaguing me for a year now. I have been trying to resolve it by reading for help and following threads in this forum.
I had no trouble at all with my old computer ( using any kind of medium)
After backing up a movie, when I play it in any of my DVD players they play for about 55mins to 1 hour then they start "stuttering" and finally will completely pause and I have to stop the movie, if I click on the "next" before I hit that spot, it will go to the next "vob" file and play the remaining movie with no problems.
I finally went out and bought some Verbatim medium they identify as follows

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:MCC 03RG20 ]
Disc & Book Type : [DVD-R] - [DVD-R]
Manufacturer Name : [Mitsubishi Chemical Corp.]
Manufacturer ID : [MCC 03RG20 ]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,298,496 Sectors = 4.71 GB (4.38 GiB)]
[ DVD Identifier V5.0.1 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

I still have the problem, then I tried imgburn and found I have NTI filecd in the upper filters and got rid of that, with Webslinger's help.
There was no change, I finally tried burning a second copy of the movie on Memorex and it works fine.
After much experimenting it seems that the first copy has the problem and when I burn additional copies, by clicking on the write button again, they are fine, no matter what media I use.
I searched the LG site for a newer firmware and found none, so I emailed their support and was informed that there indeed is no new firmware for my writer.
Is there a known solution to this problem?

Updating Anydvd won't fix burn issues.

Also, your drive is an OEM LG drive. Contacting LG for OEM drives won't accomplish anything. You need to contact Acer (based on what you wrote, I'm guessing you have an Acer system) for official firmware updates.

That said the H60N can be crossflashed to H62N (and even to H6NN) successfully: visit http://club.cdfreaks.com/f91/crossflash-h62n-h66n-its-possible-242184/ -- and then you could use official LG firmware instead of being stuck with Acer for support.

1. Go into device manager, and check to ensure you're using standard Microsoft ide busmaster drivers.

Right click on your PCI IDE Bus Master controller, and remove it. Ensure that it also removes the driver for your DVD/CD rom. Reboot. Your system should find hardware. After your system is finished installing hardware, reboot again.

click http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=48880&postcount=20 to get a better idea of what I'm asking for if you're using Vista.

i) Ensure Anydvd is running.
ii) Put an original movie dvd in your burner. Wait for Anydvd to scan the disc.
iii) Right click the red fox icon on your toolbar.
iv) Select "Create Logfile"
v) Wait for Anydvd to create a log file.
vi) A pop-up screen will appear. Take note of the location where Anydvd created the logfile and the logfile's name. Click "ok".
vii) Windows Explorer will open, and you will see a zip file called "Anydvd_Info_titleofmydisc.zip" (or something similar; see step vi)
viii) When replying or posting in the Slysoft forums, look for the icon that looks like
attach.gif
(in other words, look for the paperclip after clicking "quote" or when creating a new thread)
ix) If you don't see that paperclip icon, click the "go advanced" button. You should see that icon now. Click the paperclip.
x) A small pop-up screen should appear (if it doesn't please ensure your browser is enabled to allow pop-ups from the Slysoft forums)
xi) Click the "Browse" button, and locate and select the .zip file you created.
xii) click "upload"
xiii) Close the window. When you submit reply, or submit a new thread, the .zip file will be attached automatically for us to take a look at

3. At what speed are you burning your blank media in Clonedvd?

Last edited:
Thanks Webslinger man you are fast!
I was burning originally at 16x and then dropped to 8x and now have it set at 4x.
Do you think this is burner problems when the first burn has the problem and any additional burns ( without closing Clonedvd) are fine?
Dumb question, anything is possible when working on computers.
I will try all your suggestions and report back when I am done.
Thanks for your time.

Do you think this is burner problems when the first burn has the problem and any additional burns ( without closing Clonedvd) are fine?

Yes, I do (I suspect something firmware/busmaster/driver related; and I suspect that when you happen to eject the drive, something is reset).

Also, use an 8x or 12 burn speed. There's no need to be dropping down to 4x, really. Do not burn at 16x (and don't burn at "maximum" in Clonedvd).

That said the H60N can be crossflashed to H62N (and even to H6NN) successfully
Should that read (and even to H66n) ?

Wow I feel like I have my own personal expert you are so quick.
Thanks again I guess I will be gone for a while and let you relax ( Relax, yeah right)

I downloaded the H6NN firmware and no difference.
I tried the Writedvd.dll and that at least makes the first copy watchable, Ie: it just jitters at the normally bad spot whereas before it would eventually stop at the spot as if though paused.
I had an old backup of Resevation road that I made on my old computer ( using LG RW drive) and it works fine. But, I notice where the bad spot is on the new copy, that same spot is about 13 minutes different on the display.
The new bad copy shows 57.17 at the start of chapter 13 and the old good copy shows 44.40 at the start of chapter 13.
I don't know if this is significant or not.
I feel we are getting closer.
I live a long way from any place that sells DVD burners, but I will certainly do some reading and see what seems to be a good burner. I have always used LG burners and have had nothing but good luck with them.
I know you are reluctant to suggest a good brand and of course you would be remiss in doing so, surely it would fail on someones computer and guess who they would blame.
But if anybody reading this thread has any suggestions I would appreciate them and I will not hold anybody responsible. (I promise)

I downloaded the H6NN firmware and no difference.
I tried the Writedvd.dll and that at least makes the first copy watchable, Ie: it just jitters at the normally bad spot whereas before it would eventually stop at the spot as if though paused.
I had an old backup of Resevation road that I made on my old computer ( using LG RW drive) and it works fine. But, I notice where the bad spot is on the new copy, that same spot is about 13 minutes different on the display.
The new bad copy shows 57.17 at the start of chapter 13 and the old good copy shows 44.40 at the start of chapter 13.
I don't know if this is significant or not.
I feel we are getting closer.

Okay, unfortunately, for whatever reason you're producing poor burns (or you standalone player is slowly dying). Have you tried playing your backups on your computer? How about on another standalone player?

I think I would try a different drive. Certainly you can order them online from newegg.com, for example, if you're in the U.S.

What I recommend is what I use: click http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=145424&postcount=1

Most burners use sata interfaces now. Yours appears to be using an ata/ide interface, so make sure that if you do buy a sata burner that you can actually use it.

Again, make sure that you're not burning at "maximum" in Clonedvd.

Last edited:
Okay, unfortunately, for whatever reason you're producing poor burns (or you standalone player is slowly dying). Have you tried playing your backups on your computer? How about on another standalone player?
I have 4 standalone ( cheapies) and one Panasonic standalone DVD recorder The Panasonic plays them right through but it does jitter a bit at the bad spot.
I think I would try a different drive. Certainly you can order them online from newegg.com, for example, if you're in the U.S.
I am in Canada

I will look into that thank-you
Most burners use sata interfaces now. Yours appears to be using an ata/ide interface, so make sure that if you do buy a sata burner that you can actually use it.
You are correct and yes I will watch for the right burner.

Again, make sure that you're not burning at "maximum" in Clonedvd.
Tried all speeds right down to 4x ( that was the fastest speed my old computer had and it made good copies all the time) Now I am burning at 8x.

Well Webslinger this is getting strange. I installed Nero because I found I needed it for working with my home movies. I tried compressing the movies with Clone DVD and then burning the movies from the temp folder with Nero Express ( at 16x, I forgot to change the burn speed) and the movies are playing without a problem on all my players now.
I only post this just in case something comes to light and I am doing something wrong or maybe my burner just doesn't like the clone dvd burn dll.
I do not mind using two programs for backing up my movies and I am happy I found a solution to my problem.

I'm glad that you found a workaround that you don't mind. Clonedvd relies heavily on firmware information and media codes. Other programs may function differently.

I note that you have not posted an Anydvd log file yet, which is truly paramount for troubleshooting these types of issues. Refer to post #2, step #2 in this thread.

Last edited:
My appoligies for not including a log file here it is. I hope I tried twice and I didn't see it in my preview, hope it's there.

Attachments

• AnyDVD_Info_F_Lakeview Terrace.zip
    139.9 KB · Views: 5
HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR-H30N

Okay, thanks, but that's not a burner. You'll note that step 2. ii states "burner".

Please create a log file using your burner.

wmplayer.exe

Make sure that's not running while burning.

Last edited:
Wow I feel like I have my own personal expert you are so quick.
Thanks again I guess I will be gone for a while and let you relax ( Relax, yeah right)

We cant say it enough here, but Webslingers encyclopediatic knowledge of DVD drive issues is pretty amazing. (scary even). :D

-W

Okay, thanks, but that's not a burner. You'll note that step 2. ii states "burner".

Please create a log file using your burner.

Make sure that's not running while burning.

Another senior moment! Sorry about that Webslinger. I was away for a while here is a log using my burner.

Attachments

• AnyDVD_Info_E_MIRRORS_SPECIAL_EDITION_UNRATED.zip
    116.6 KB · Views: 4
Another senior moment! Sorry about that Webslinger. I was away for a while here is a log using my burner.

Well, unfortunately, I'm not seeing anything that stands out to me. Other than ensuring you're burning at 8x or 12x (and not at maximum), I'm out of suggestions.

Okay thanks for all your assistance webslinger,it is really appreciated.
You deserve a medal for your patience and perseverance
As I said earlier, I have found a workaround using Nero that works fine. Clonedvd does compress the movies to fit on a DVD and does it very fast so I am also content with that program.

Back