• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

[Resolved] Help with File Types

cavediver

Background:
I installed VCD a few months ago to help me deal with a few problem Blu-ray's that wouldn't read from my LG Blu-ray drive. It worked like a charm. I allowed VCD to become the default drive for .iso files which changed the file type on all of my DVD iso's to "Virtual Clone Drive." I store all of my SD DVD .iso files on an HP MSS for streaming to a Popcorn Hour A110. Before I installed VCD, the .iso's streamed to the Popcorn Hour via a Samba (SMB) share without any problems. I don't buy or watch SD DVD's very often as most of my Popcorn Hour viewing is Blu-ray .m2ts files via myiHome.

Problem:
Last night I purchased a TV series DVD that is not available on Blu-ray and ripped it to an iso on my MSS. I went to watch it on the Popcorn Hour and the SMB share indicated there were no files available. Further investigation revealed that the Popcorn Hour cannot recognize the .iso files labeled as VCD files either via the SMB share or via myiHome. Before VCD, the file type for the .iso files was "Image File" and both the SMB share and myiHome had no problem streaming them.

Question:
How do I get the .iso file type back to "Image File" or something else that the SMB share on the Popcorn Hour can see?

Last edited:
In XP this was in Folder Tools... File Types. In Vista there's a funky new control panel called Default Programs. Go in there and set the .iso to whatever program it used to call, and you should be good to go.

Marc

In XP this was in Folder Tools... File Types. In Vista there's a funky new control panel called Default Programs. Go in there and set the .iso to whatever program it used to call, and you should be good to go.

Marc

I've done that, but they still indicate the file type is "Virtual Clone Drive".

Right click, select open with and select the application you want to be associated with them. That is if it is on the same system as the ISO is. Make sure to select the check box to make it the default application.

Honestly though I find it strange that a windows file type association keeps you from being able to share files over a network. I mean what difference does the association make? You select a directory to share then browse to it over the network and it presents the files inside. Why does the file type association even come into play. The application you are using should simply look at the extension of the file.

I guess I do not understand what your issue really is.

I've done that, but they still indicate the file type is "Virtual Clone Drive".

... which in no way will have any influence on sharing these files ...
:confused:

I resolved the issue. Apparently, either the latest update to Windows Home Server or the latest firmware on the Popcorn Hour (I'm not sure which), changed the PCH's ability to allow the samba share to see the server. I had to create a new user on the MSS for the PCH with user id and password and insert the user id and password in the samba share on the PCH. I can now see all of my iso files.

Back