• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

[Resolved] Forced Subtitles Missing

Hannibal

I originally posted:

"Hello! I just tried to back up my copy of "Broken Trail" and copied it in it's entire form, menus etc.. When I played it back on a stand alone DVD player, everything worked just fine, except that is, the "subtitles" when the Chinese speak. I get none at that time. The original plays them on that DVD player with no changes having to be made. But not the copy. I have had this same problem with other copies I have made in the past, Star Wars, etc. and also had this problem when I used other copy programs, etc. DVD Xpress. I tried to make changes using my DVD player's remote, and it will not make any changes at all to the "subtitles" menu from the remote, it makes me go to the DVD's menu for subtitle changes. The DVD's menu only has 1 subtitle available, English, and when I turned that on I got English subtitles through the entire movie, Except when the Chinese spoke. Then I got this: "(Speaks Mandarin). I have no idea if this is some sort of “inherent” problem with “forced subtitles” or not. Try watching “Dances With Wolves” with no subtitles. Makes for an interesting time!
I did see some threads regarding this problem, but they were about the CloneDVD Mobile or Ipod. I did not see any that addressed this on regular DVD copies, or maybe I missed them. It would be nice to be able to “see” what the people are saying, makes the picture have a better meaning. Can any one give me some pointers on how to resolve this problem? Thank you!"

NOW MY latest post!!
A couple of people tried to assist me in fixing what I was doing wrong. And I thank them for their time! Their information was not wrong, it was just what I was doing was wrong. I am guessing that they thought I was doing the right things to begin with, which I wasn't. My main problem, besides being very Techno-stupid, is that I don't have a lot of time to invest in learning what I really should know about these things. I guess I should have remembered the first rule.."Learn to play your character!". This is the reason that I really like AnyDVD and CloneDVD! They are so simple to use that even a big DUMMY as myself can use them, well most of the time at least! :)

To make a long story shorter, I want to thank Whisperer for his thread http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=3066&postcount=14. Here Whisperer is reminding another person NOT to use the right hand panel for alterations when copying DVDs. When I first started, I got suggestions from a friend who suggested, to make the movies fit better, that I might want to delete all subtitles. So, I did that, deleted ALL subtitles on the RIGHT hand panel. Goodbye to the Forced subtitles also. After reading Whisperer's comments, I pulled out my copy of "Dances with Wolves" and used that as a test. When I clicked on the English subtitles block on the RIGHT hand panel, I noticed on the LEFT hand panel, that 2 English subtitle blocks lit up as checked. Then I burned a DVD copy of only chapter 23 because there is a lot of Lokota spoken there and guess what....yep! the "forced subtitles" were back!

I don't know if any of this will help anyone else with their problems about the "forced subtitles", but I hope this helps someone.

Again, I really like AnyDVD and CloneDVD, wonderful products! I want to thank those who gave their time to try and help me, and Whisperer for reminding me not to be so quick to change defaults!

Last edited:
maybe this will work for you

I had a problem somewhat like yours and it turned out that it was my DVD player not the clone, well maybe it was the clone. Anyway I used a different DVD player and it worked ok. So I suggest you check it out on another DVD player.

Thank you. I tried that, using different machines, and the same things happened on each machine. The original has the subtitles but not the clones. I am wondering if I am doing something wrong. But I just don't see how I can be if I clone the entire DVD, then shouldn't they be on the clone also? I am not erasing anything.

Just a Thought

Have you checked in AnyDVD for the subtitle transparency setting?

No, I haven't check there. What is supposed to be the correct setting for that? It is unchecked right now.

Last edited:
Resolved! Forced Subtitles Missing

Please read my edited original post...and thanks to everyone

Back