• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

[Resolved] DVDs from commercial DVD burner uncopyable

kathy47

Hi. My first post. I have found that when I try to use CloneDVD2 (Ver 2.9.2.8 ) that every DVD I've created by recording off the air to a DVD will fail at the (READ) 99% stage with the notice that it is looking for more IFO and BUP files. I cannot continue past that point.

Commercial DVD's copy fine and always have, but the ones I create on my DVD burner fail like this - every one of them.

I have AnyDVD (Ver.6.7.6.0) installed on two computers (Vista Home Premium and Windows 7). Both computers act the same. I get to 99% and it fails. I've created some log ZIP files if anyone can look at them to see if there is something in it that points to the reason for this failure.

Kathy

Last edited:
Here are the files I've created:

The log file and two shots of the failure.

Kathy

Attachments

• AnyDVD_6.7.6.0_Info_E_LG_COMBI_RECORDER#0.zip
    43.9 KB · Views: 7
  • fail.jpg
    fail.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 7
  • fail_info.jpg
    fail_info.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 7
Hi. My first post. I have found that when I try to use CloneDVD2 (Ver 2.9.2.8 ) that every DVD I've created by recording off the air to a DVD will fail at the (READ) 99% stage with the notice that it is looking for more IFO and BUP files. I cannot continue past that point.

Commercial DVD's copy fine and always have, but the ones I create on my DVD burner fail like this - every one of them.

I have AnyDVD (Ver.6.7.6.0) installed on two computers (Vista Home Premium and Windows 7). Both computers act the same. I get to 99% and it fails. I've created some log ZIP files if anyone can look at them to see if there is something in it that points to the reason for this failure.

Kathy

This only works if the source is error free. Plus without knowing what software you used to create those dvd will be hard to know what is going on. Plus CloneDVD doesn't create dvd it only copies the dvd. Anydvd log files is only helpful if it was commercial made dvd not a DVD you created that won't in my mind help with your problem.

The source IS error free. It plays just fine in every DVD player I have. No software was used to create it, it came from my commercial DVD recorder (the type that has a Tape and DVD recorder in the same shell). That's firmware, not software. The recorder is a JVC brand unit.

I am aware that CloneDVD doesn't 'create' the DVD (except for it's output). AnyDVD log files should, if they are created properly, give a decent report of everything that it finds on any DVD, not just commercial DVDs so there just may be a clue inside them. Did you look at the log files?

K

That sounds more like a formatting problem from the jvc dvd recorder that your using not something CloneDVD is doing. If CloneDVD can copy commerially bought dvd fine but your tv copied dvd aren't working that to me is format problem or that is isn't finalizing the dvd correctly.

That may be true, but wouldn't you (if you were a developer of CloneDVD) want to find out WHY your product won't read a duly finalized DVD from a commercial recorder?

K

That may be true, but wouldn't you (if you were a developer of CloneDVD) want to find out WHY your product won't read a duly finalized DVD from a commercial recorder?

K

Put this way it is up to the commerical recorder that needs to do that not CloneDVD. Your statement is ironic in itself. Let it be mentioned that dvd created by the commerical recorder is the problem and you should contact the manufacture about it and check their owner manual to see what other setting is missed. As I before you never mentioned what and how the recorder dvd played on other dvd player or computer dvd burner?? CloneDVD is looking for a particular dvd structure format and if it doesn't see it it stop...plain and simple....what may be complete to you doesn't mean it is complete to CloneDVD....

I don't see anything ironic about my statement. CloneDVD is a product that is supposed to be able to copy DVD's. Any DVDs. Put simply - it won't copy mine that I create. As I said before, every DVD I create using my JVC recorder will play everywhere else: Sound system, computer, dvd player, etc. They will play at my friends house also. As far as I am concerned that is a correctly built DVD. So why won't CloneDVD copy it? THAT is the question.

Now, if a person were to take my log files and see WHY it won't copy, then perhaps there is a 'hole' in CloneDVD's logic and/or programming that needs to be filled. If I were a developer of this product I would be wondering that very thing. Even if nothing was done about it, my mind would be set to rest that it really WASN'T my program but the actual DVD.

K

@ kathy47:
Give CloneCD a try - http://static.slysoft.com/SetupCloneCD.exe

If they're home recorded DVD's, see points a) and b) below. And read the bold, too.

From http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=37122&postcount=2
24. I'm trying to backup something that was originally recorded on a standalone dvd video recorder, and Clonedvd is giving me an "unexpected error" and asking me to email bugs(at)elby.ch. Why?

a) Disable Anydvd
b) "use filesystem instead of Internal I/O" in CloneDVD's preferences with dvd-vr discs (you will want to reset this setting back to default afterwards)

Alternatively, you can try using "Write Existing Data" in Clonedvd.

Anydvd and Clonedvd are intended for use with commercially released dvd movies and not formats that do not conform to the dvd-video standard.

Last edited:
CloneDVD supports Video DVDs. A good amount of DVD recorders use the DVD-VR format. CloneDVD has never officially supported that format or the oddities that are introduced with DVD recorded media. Nonetheless, you can attempt to use Write Existing Data while AnyDVD is disabled and see if that helps.

Ah. Thank you both for that. I'll give a) and b) a try, but probably not until morning.

Although it doesn't state it directly in the user manual for my DVD recorder, there is a statement that leads me to believe that their format isn't exactly DVD format. Nothing specific, just a feeling I get reading the tech notes. Might even be their form of copy protection - who knows?

K

b) "use filesystem instead of Internal I/O" in CloneDVD's preferences with dvd-vr discs (you will want to reset this setting back to default afterwards)
That is exactly the fix that DrinkLyeAndDie gave me quite some time ago for when I copied my home movies to my DVD recorder and also works for anything I have recorded. Once more thanks for that DrinkLyeAndDie

Yes. It worked for me also. Sorry I took so long to get back.

I just didn't realize that DVR's and DVD recorders had their own format.

K

That is exactly the fix that DrinkLyeAndDie gave me quite some time ago for when I copied my home movies to my DVD recorder and also works for anything I have recorded. Once more thanks for that DrinkLyeAndDie

Glad to have helped.

Yes. It worked for me also. Sorry I took so long to get back.

Good to hear.

I just didn't realize that DVR's and DVD recorders had their own format.

Not all DVD recorders use the DVD-VR (DVD Video Recording) but many do. It differs in ways from the DVD-Video format. With the workarounds mentioned in this thread it's usually possible to copy a disc. CloneCD should always work.

Back