• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

[Resolved] Desperate Housewives and Expensive Coasters (or newbie question)

rrue

Bear with me, I'm new to CloneDVD/AnyDVD, new to copying DVDs in general.

Had pretty good luck copying disks but have limited myself to DVD-5 disks, either by stripping out everything but the movie or living with reduce quality in the copy.

Trying to copy Desperate Housewives Season 2 (for my wife, I swear to God) and finally got around to picking up some DL blanks.

Ran a regular "clone"operation with everything at default and got a write error and a coaster. Turns out I had the write speed at Maximum.

I set the write speed to 4X and the job ran and finished without errors. Got a disk that won't load in either the home player or the computer, however.

Ripped the disk to an ISO file without errors. Burned it to a DL blank without error. Coaster.

Did manage to clone to a DVD-5 by removing episodes. That one plays.

Anyone know if DH Season 2 (A Buena Vista / Disney release?) has some funky protection I don't know about? Or am I missing something obvious when burning to DL media? Modern "distributed" disks do use DL media, don't they?

Using the latest/ greatest versions, BTW, 2.9.2.0 and 6.5.1.8.

Thanks in advance for any help...

rrue
Seattle WA USA (viva la Obama!)

finally got around to picking up some DL blanks.

Are you using junk blank media? If you're not using Verbatim +R DL (preferably made in Singapore) or MAM-A +R DL 8x, then chances are the answer to this question is "yes". If you use junk blank media, then you should expect problems.

Ripped the disk to an ISO file without errors

Don't do this.

Anyone know if DH Season 2 (A Buena Vista / Disney release?) has some funky protection I don't know about? Or am I missing something obvious when burning to DL media?

Possibly

1. Follow the steps from this link in order: click http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=476 (follow them step by step)

If you're using +R DL blank discs, I recommend using Clonecd: click http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=327

2. If you still have problems, then . . .

A)
a) Ensure Anydvd is running.
b) Put the problematic original movie dvd in your burner. Wait for Anydvd to scan the disc.
c) Right click the red fox icon on your toolbar.
d) Select "Create Logfile"
e) Wait for Anydvd to create a log file.
f) A pop-up screen will appear. Take note of the location where Anydvd created the logfile and the logfile's name. Click "ok".
g) Windows Explorer will open, and you will see a zip file called "Anydvd_Info_titleofmydisc.zip" (or something similar; see step f)
h) When replying or posting in the Slysoft forums, look for the icon that looks like
attach.gif
(in other words, look for the paperclip after clicking "quote" or when creating a new thread)
i) If you don't see that paperclip icon, click the "go advanced" button. You should see that icon now. Click the paperclip.
j) A small pop-up screen should appear (if it doesn't please ensure your browser is enabled to allow pop-ups from the Slysoft forums)
k) Click the "Browse" button, and locate and select the .zip file you created.
l) click "upload"
m) Close the window. When you submit reply, or submit a new thread, the .zip file will be attached automatically for us to take a look at

B) State the full a)error message(s) you encountered (click "details"), b)tell us what program(s) you were using when you received the error message(s), and c) describe in detail what you were doing when you received the error message(s). What problem are you having exactly?

C) Click http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=5091 to see if your question has already been answered

D) Provide the Clonedvd log file after Clonedvd has finished--or after you receive an error message.

attachment.php

i)In the white area under the tab labelled "Log", right click and select "save as".
ii)Select where you want to save the log, and then save it.
iii) The log will be a .txt file. Zip it up using Winzip or another program. If the text file is small enough, you should be able to upload it anyway. Otherwise, use Winzip.
iv) When replying or posting in the Slysoft forums, look for the icon that looks like
attach.gif
(in other words, look for the paperclip after clicking "quote" or when creating a new thread)
v) If you don't see that paperclip icon, click the "go advanced" button. You should see that icon now. Click the paperclip.
vi) A small pop-up screen should appear (if it doesn't please ensure your browser is enabled to allow pop-ups from the Slysoft forums)
vii) Click the "Browse" button, and locate and select the .zip file (or .txt file) that you created.
viii) click "upload"
ix) Close the window. When you submit reply, or submit a new thread, the .zip file will be attached automatically for us to take a look at

e) Check to see if there's an updated firmware version for your burner and your reader: click http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=18731

f) What blank media are you using? Specify a) brand name b)type (-R, +R, -RW, +RW, RAM, DL, etc.) c)media code, and d)country (factory information would be great as well, if possible) where the media was made (look on the physical packaging; do not rely on programs to accurately give you this information).

If you don't know how to obtain media codes, you may find the following programs useful:

http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com and http://www.dvdinfopro.com/

g) At what speed are you burning your blank media?

Thanks Webslinger

I started this thread in a hurry (got three small kids and I don't get much uninterrupted keyboard time at home) and only then did I take the time to look deep enough to see things like instructions for gathering logs before crying for help, including a big sticky post at the top of the forum titled "READ THIS BEFORE POSTING A QUESTION." In other words, I'm guilty of a classic newbie faux pas even though I work in tech for a living, have plenty of experience supporting newbies in other areas, and have failed many times to demonstrate the patience and tact that Webslinger just did by repeating for me what I'm sure they have had to many many other times. And without a single "RTFM, newbie!" along the way...

Turns out my problem in this case was a firmware update on my burner. I'm back in business. If I hit any other problems I'll be sure to dig deeper and gather complete information before I cry for help.

Back