• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

[Resolved by cleaning standalone player] Bad disks?

Jerry62712

I just opened a new pack of Verbatim +R DL made in Singapore and the first three disks I copied failed to run. Every time the program reported it was OK. My question is is it likely that the disks are bad - all of them?

3 for 3 failure to play seems pretty bad. I've used the setup about 30 times since I bought the new DVD writer (to eliminate the "weak hardware" question) and used my prior pack of disks (Verbatim +R DL made in Hong Kong).

I'm searching for the last log file, but as it worked as far as the software is concerned I'm not sure this will help very much. But I can't find it anyway so it is a moot point. I guess a second question is where is the log file kept and is it a growing file with every action or just the last time you executed the program? I see "Log Enabled" is checked in the CloneCD Log window.

BTW, I had problems in the past and was not happy given the cost of disks at $5 a pop and constant failures. First, I found disks at Sam's Club (Verbatium - see above) at about $1.20 each which beats the heck out of the price I had been told. Second, the new DVD writer seems to have cleared up some of the problems as well.

I doubt anyone will remember this from long ago, but it is only fair that the impression I gave before be corrected by me just as publicly as I gave them the first time.

I will try a test using CloneDVD to see if that makes any difference.

I just opened a new pack of Verbatim +R DL made in Singapore and the first three disks I copied failed to run.

i) Failed to play in what?

ii) Did you attempt playback on your computer?

iii) How about in another standalone dvd player?

(Verbatim +R DL made in Hong Kong).

Verbatim+R DL is not made in Hong Kong.

I guess a second question is where is the log file kept and is it a growing file with every action or just the last time you executed the program? I see "Log Enabled" is checked in the CloneCD Log window.

It appears in a window. You can copy and paste the text here if you want.

BTW, I had problems in the past and was not happy given the cost of disks at $5 a pop and constant failures.

I don't know where you buy your stuff, but you're getting ripped off.

I doubt anyone will remember this from long ago

Your old thread is here:http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=27984

1. Use Anydvd 6.5.4.3 beta: click http://sandbox.slysoft.com/beta/SetupAnyDVD6543.exe
(If you don't own Anydvd, you can try the program for free for 21 days).

You may need to reboot after installing if prompted to do so.

2. Click the red fox icon on your toolbar. Click "default". Click "ok".

3. If you're using +R DL blank discs, I recommend using Clonecd: click http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=327

3. If you still have problems, then . . .

A. Remove packet writing software from your system, including Roxio's Directcd, Nero's Incd, Roxio/Sonic's DragtoDisc, Drive Letter Access, CyberLink InstantBurn, NTI's Filecd, etc. click http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=15536 and read fully

B. Check to see if there's an updated firmware version for your burner and your reader; see this example for instructions.

C. Set your drive's region code if it's not set already. With some dvds and some drives, Anydvd cannot decrypt CSS unless your drive's region code is set properly. You must exit Anydvd when checking.

• Right click the fox on your toolbar. Exit Anydvd
  • Click start. Right click on "My computer"--->select "properties".
  • Click on the 'Hardware' tab--->click the 'device manager' button.
  • Open the dvd/cdrom branch---> right click on your optical drive
  • Click "properties".
  • You should have a region tab. From there you can select a region.
  • Select the region that you're in
  • Start Anydvd

D. Post an Anydvd .zip log file

i) Ensure Anydvd is running.
ii) Put the problematic original movie dvd in your burner. Wait for Anydvd to scan the disc.
iii) Right click the red fox icon on your toolbar.
iv) Select "Create Logfile"
v) Wait for Anydvd to create a log file.
vi) A pop-up screen will appear. Take note of the location where Anydvd created the logfile and the logfile's name. Click "ok".
vii) Windows Explorer will open, and you will see a zip file called "Anydvd_Info_titleofmydisc.zip" (or something similar; see step f)
viii) When replying or posting in the Slysoft forums, look for the icon that looks like
attach.gif
(in other words, look for the paperclip after clicking "quote" or when creating a new thread)
ix) If you don't see that paperclip icon, click the "go advanced" button. You should see that icon now. Click the paperclip.
x) A small pop-up screen should appear (if it doesn't please ensure your browser is enabled to allow pop-ups from the Slysoft forums)
xi) Click the "Browse" button, and locate and select the .zip file you created.
xii) click "upload"
xii) Close the window. When you submit reply, or submit a new thread, the .zip file will be attached automatically for us to take a look at

E. State the a)full error message(s) you encountered (click "details"), b)tell us what program(s) you were using when you received the error message(s), and c) describe in detail what you were doing when you received the error message(s). What problem are you having exactly?

F. What blank media are you using? Specify
  • brand name
  • type (-R, +R, -RW, +RW, RAM, DL, ...),
  • media code (I really want this info),
  • capacity/size,
  • batch codes/serial codes (often found printed on the inner plastic hub of the blank disc . . . if you can't find this, then nevermind), and
  • country (factory information would be great as well, if possible) where the media was made (look on the physical packaging; do not rely on programs to accurately give you this information).
If you don't know how to obtain media codes, you may find the following programs useful:

G. At what speed are you burning your blank media?

H. This step is NOT necessary, but would be nice for troubleshooters. Click the red fox icon in your system tray. Select "status" on the left hand side of your screen. With the problematic disc inserted in your computer, click the appropriate drive tab letter (the drive containing the disc) in Anydvd. In the window below the drive letter (just right click in the window and choose "select all" and then "copy"), copy and paste (right click, select "paste") the information into your next reply on these forums. If you made a backup, do this step for both the original disc and the backup, please.

I. Click http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=5091 to see if your question has already been answered

Last edited:
Because I asked two questions, I'll reply twice once per question.

I'm guessing that a log file is not created then? Just kept in memory and you have to manually copy and paste if you want to keep it?

I couldn't find an AnyDVD log. What name is it and where is it by default?

TIA,
Jerry

I'm guessing that a log file is not created then?

Just like Anydvd, you have to tell the program to create one.

Just kept in memory and you have to manually copy and paste if you want to keep it?

While Clonecd is copying there is a menu selection under "Tools" called "log". A Clonecd log window pops up. Then select "save log as". Specify a filename. The file will be a text file.

I couldn't find an AnyDVD log. What name is it and where is it by default?

If you follow my previous instructions in this thread properly, you'll know what to do.

Last edited:
I'm using AnyDVD v.6.5.3.1 and I used CloneCD 5.3.1.4 2009-03-16 which is automatically updated. I am trying CloneDVD (not sure of the version as it is running, but automatic update is turned on). I'm a registered owner of all three.

I had my DVD writer replaced when there seemed to be an issue with "weak writes" and that certainly improved. My new DVD writer is a 22-X Liteon and it worked 90% of the times with the last batch of disks I was using. I became concerned that the disks were bad when 3 out of 3 recorded with no problem, but would not play on the DVD player.

Generally, I set the speed to 12X. I haven't seen any difference in speed so I'm guessing it is io bound and limited by the buss.

I believe that I read here that Verbatim +R DL from Singapore were the best (or the best available to me here). My last batch were also those, but manufactured in a different location. If not Hong Kong, then perhaps Taiwan.

Update. The CloneDVD just finished - no errors. The movie played in that drive. When I put it in the other drive in the computer, it played the initial warning in every language and then failed to play the movie. Put back in the first drive, it was able to play it again.

I'm using AnyDVD v.6.5.3.1

You shouldn't be. I've provided you with a link to the Anydvd update already.

I am trying CloneDVD (not sure of the version as it is running, but automatic update is turned on).

Using Clonedvd with Verbatim +R DL instead of Clonecd for your purposes is pointless. I'm not troubleshooting Clonedvd in the Clonecd forum. Stick with Clonecd for now.

Generally, I set the speed to 12X.

Don't.

Burn at 4x or 2x with Verbatim +R DL.

12x is usually fine with single layer discs.

I believe that I read here that Verbatim +R DL from Singapore were the best

Yes

(or the best available to me here). My last batch were also those, but manufactured in a different location. If not Hong Kong, then perhaps Taiwan.

Verbatim +R DL is not made in Taiwan nor Hong Kong.

Last edited:
Use the Lite-on Booktype utility: click http://www.liteonit.com/DOWNLOADS/utilities/BookType135.zip (install it)

For the booktype manual: click http://www.liteonit.com/DOWNLOADS/utilities/en/BookTypeManual_e.zip

Follow the following instructions, step by step:

1. Use Anydvd 6.5.4.3 beta: click http://sandbox.slysoft.com/beta/SetupAnyDVD6543.exe
(If you don't own Anydvd, you can try the program for free for 21 days).

You may need to reboot after installing if prompted to do so.

2. Click the red fox icon on your toolbar. Click "default". Click "ok".

3. If you're using +R DL blank discs, I recommend using Clonecd: click http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=327
(follow these instructions step by step)

3. If you still have problems, then . . .

A. Remove packet writing software from your system, including Roxio's Directcd, Nero's Incd, Roxio/Sonic's DragtoDisc, Drive Letter Access, CyberLink InstantBurn, NTI's Filecd, etc. click http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=15536 and read fully

B. Check to see if there's an updated firmware version for your burner and your reader; see this example for instructions.

C. Set your drive's region code if it's not set already. With some dvds and some drives, Anydvd cannot decrypt CSS unless your drive's region code is set properly. You must exit Anydvd when checking.

• Right click the fox on your toolbar. Exit Anydvd
  • Click start. Right click on "My computer"--->select "properties".
  • Click on the 'Hardware' tab--->click the 'device manager' button.
  • Open the dvd/cdrom branch---> right click on your optical drive
  • Click "properties".
  • You should have a region tab. From there you can select a region.
  • Select the region that you're in
  • Start Anydvd

D. Post an Anydvd .zip log file (by doing the following):

i) Ensure Anydvd is running.
ii) Put the problematic original movie dvd in your burner. Wait for Anydvd to scan the disc.
iii) Right click the red fox icon on your toolbar.
iv) Select "Create Logfile"
v) Wait for Anydvd to create a log file.
vi) A pop-up screen will appear. Take note of the location where Anydvd created the logfile and the logfile's name. Click "ok".
vii) Windows Explorer will open, and you will see a zip file called "Anydvd_Info_titleofmydisc.zip" (or something similar; see step f)
viii) When replying or posting in the Slysoft forums, look for the icon that looks like
attach.gif
(in other words, look for the paperclip after clicking "quote" or when creating a new thread)
ix) If you don't see that paperclip icon, click the "go advanced" button. You should see that icon now. Click the paperclip.
x) A small pop-up screen should appear (if it doesn't please ensure your browser is enabled to allow pop-ups from the Slysoft forums)
xi) Click the "Browse" button, and locate and select the .zip file you created.
xii) click "upload"
xii) Close the window. When you submit reply, or submit a new thread, the .zip file will be attached automatically for us to take a look at

E. State the a)full error message(s) you encountered (click "details"), b)tell us what program(s) you were using when you received the error message(s), and c) describe in detail what you were doing when you received the error message(s). What problem are you having exactly?

F. What blank media are you using? Specify
  • brand name
  • type (-R, +R, -RW, +RW, RAM, DL, ...),
  • media code (I really want this info),
  • capacity/size,
  • batch codes/serial codes (often found printed on the inner plastic hub of the blank disc . . . if you can't find this, then nevermind), and
  • country (factory information would be great as well, if possible) where the media was made (look on the physical packaging; do not rely on programs to accurately give you this information).
If you don't know how to obtain media codes, you may find the following programs useful:

G. At what speed are you burning your blank media?

H. This step is NOT necessary, but would be nice for troubleshooters. Click the red fox icon in your system tray. Select "status" on the left hand side of your screen. With the problematic disc inserted in your computer, click the appropriate drive tab letter (the drive containing the disc) in Anydvd. In the window below the drive letter (just right click in the window and choose "select all" and then "copy"), copy and paste (right click, select "paste") the information into your next reply on these forums. If you made a backup, do this step for both the original disc and the backup, please.

I. Click http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=5091 to see if your question has already been answered

Last edited:
We are closer, but not there yet.

Everything was working last week. Then I tried to copy a DVD using CloneDVD and that wouldn't work. Now CloneCD doesn't work.

I have the book type set to DVD ROM and verified. I set the speed to 2X of my liteon DVD writer which is about a month old and has copied about 20 disks so far.

I'm using the latest versions of AnyDVD (6.5.4.3) and CloneCD (5.3.1.4).

I'm using Verbatim +R DL (Singapore) disks.

The problem is I can't view the copy DVD on the DVD player connected to my TV. I can view disks created last week.

Initially, I couldn't view the disks in the second disk drive, but with the various changes (book type, copy speed) I can now view the movies on that second drive. I can't view them in the DVD player connected to the TV. I can view them on the drive that created them.

No error messages are produced by either AnyDVD or CloneCD. I've gone through about 10 disks to get to this point.

I'm using the latest versions of AnyDVD (6.5.4.3)

We require an Anydvd .zip logfile using your burner as requested, please.

Actually, I request three Anydvd .zip log files using your burner:

a)one with the original disc,

b)one with a backup that you claim works (from "last week"), and

c) one with your recent backup that doesn't work (was burned at 2x with automatic bitsetting)

I'm using Verbatim +R DL (Singapore) disks.

Again, please provide the media code.

Actually, provide the media code for

d) a backup that you claim works (from "last week")

and

e) your recent backup that doesn't work (was burned at 2x with automatic bitsetting)

Initially, I couldn't view the disks in the second disk drive, but with the various changes (book type, copy speed) I can now view the movies on that second drive. I can't view them in the DVD player connected to the TV.

Test in another standalone dvd player.

What you're describing strongly suggests a compatibility issue (based on reflectivity/the reflective layer) between the blank media and that specific standalone dvd player. Frankly, if Verbatim +R DL didn't work in my standalone players, the players would be tossed in the garbage very quickly (one wonders what other quality blank media they aren't compatible with).

It's also possible the standalone player is dying. All standalone players and optical drives in general die over time, and the reflectivity of blank media is lower than that of original discs.

Last edited:
Success

pvby24k8250325x4 (as close as I can see) is the current Verbatim disk number. The next one down seems to have a different number. This is found on the write side on the ring of the disk that failed. The disk that worked, a different batch (I found it was from India) has a code of 8c47804raf2ca02437 and I just played it again to make sure the drive is working correctly.

Taking your advice, I decided to look at the DVD player. I took a can of air and blew into it and now the new movie works, that didn't work 4 minutes ago. It would appear that the player must have had enough dust to obscure the lense for the new Singapore and it didn't bother the old India ones (as I tried to and succeeded in playing a copy from last week.

If "blowing" the DVD fails the next time, I will also take your advice to dump it and get a new one. I kind of liked that one as it has a VCR as well as DVD and I can copy my old movies of the kid growing up by just hitting one button.

We can mark this case closes and I appreciate the help you have given me.

pvby24k8250325x4 (as close as I can see) is the current Verbatim disk number. The next one down seems to have a different number. This is found on the write side on the ring of the disk that failed. The disk that worked, a different batch (I found it was from India) has a code of 8c47804raf2ca02437 and I just played it again to make sure the drive is working correctly.

Those aren't media codes (you need to use a program to read the media codes) . . . but nevermind.

the lense for the new Singapore

Those were made by Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation's plant in Singapore. Verbatim is a subsidiary of Mitsubishi Chemical Corp. So, those discs are actually "real" Verbatim discs. Unfortunately, Mitsubishi's plant in Singapore, as far as I'm aware, no longer produces Verbatim +R DL. So finding Verbatim +R DL made in Singapore is becoming difficult as stock runs out.

and it didn't bother the old India ones

Moser Baer in India makes those discs. They are sold under Verbatim's label, in this case. They are supposed to be made to Verbatim's high standards, but I find that while they are better than most other +R DL blank media, they are more variable in quality than those made by Verbatim (Mitsubishi) in Singapore.

If "blowing" the DVD fails the next time, I will also take your advice to dump it and get a new one.

I recommend Oppo dvd players (they are easily made region free via the remote and can play both PAL and NTSC video formats). Although they are not cheap (you can find them on Amazon and directly through Oppo's website if you're in the U.S.), Oppo dvd players do offer exceptional quality at the price they're sold at (the players use parts that are typically found in players costing a lot more . . . and I mean a lot more)

Good luck

Take care

Last edited:
Back