• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

[Resolved] audio over HDMI on ATI HD card, how to set it up

sanderh

Guys,

I own the Marantz AV8003 receiver and the ATI HD4350. I have installed the latest display driver. After this HDMI audio device remains yellow in my hardware and is not installed properly. So I know already that I have to download something for this but I see a lot of different drivers on the net for it. Which one do I have to install?

http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_ca...p/hdmiaudio-xp both these two? (I have XP with SP3)

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/...&GetDown=false which one do I need? Or do I only need the 9.1 driver from the ATI site?

thxz

Guys,

I own the Marantz AV8003 receiver and the ATI HD4350. I have installed the latest display driver.

Catalyst 9.1 is bugfest with Blu-ray playback

You MUST use the dvi to HDMI dongle that came with your ATI card (if one came with it).

With Vista, you only need the Realtek drivers and ati Catalyst video drivers. You don't need more than that.

1. With Vista, you need to use http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads...=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

Select the one that has "ATI" in its name.

2a. You need to run Catalyst control panel.

b. Then right click on the secondary display (should be your receiver or your television).

c. Select "Enable". Then select "primary"

3. Make sure HDMI Audio Out (or T.V. out) in your receiver = off before booting up your computer. Otherwise your receiver will only work with 2 channel sound

4. Click start/windows button. type "sound". select "sound".

5. You should see

Realtek HDMI Output
ATI HDMI Audio
Working

If you don't have your receiver/T.V. selected/enabled in Catalyst Control
center, then you will have problems here.

6. Right click on Realtek HDMI Output
a) select "Set as Default Device"
b) select "configure speakers"
c) select what's appropriate. Click "next", and go through the steps

7. In your playback software program, select 5.1 or 7.1, depending on the number of speakers you have

8. If you're using XP, you need to use these drivers:
http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=xp/hdmiaudio-xp

thxz for your reply!

However, I m not fully there where I want and I ll tell why:

I ve installed the Realtek HDMI audio driver. I got sound but it only was 2-channel. So I removed this realtek driver and installed the ati HDMI audio driver on your advice from the link I mentioned earlier in this post. Now I do get fully PCM output 5.1 channel support that my receiver can handle!

But I ve already discovered the first problem:

When I Power OFF my receiver the ATI HD Audio Rear Output device disappears. When turning ON my receiver I can select it again (I don t even have to restart my HTPC!). How can I config my system so that the device stays for good? Is there a fix or workaround for this?

thxz

When I Power OFF my receiver the ATI HD Audio Rear Output device disappears.

In XP, that's normal under sound settings. However, the device doesn't disappear in device manager.

When turning ON my receiver I can select it again (I don t even have to restart my HTPC!).

I can't select it either unless my receiver is on. The driver detects whether a device is attached. That's normal
behaviour in sound settings with XP.

Last edited:
In XP, that's normal under sound settings. However, the device doesn't disappear in device manager.
Yes you re right, I see now.

I can't select it either unless my receiver is on. The driver detects whether a device is attached. That's normal behaviour in sound settings with XP.
Is there no workaround for this or does this not hurt in any way?

Webslinger, it is still not clear to me 100%. Like I told you I think I do have 5.1 multi-channel PCM output now, but still don t understand why this works with the http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_ca...p/hdmiaudio-xp driver and not with the Realtek driver. EVERYBODY (including a moderator on the official ATI forum, see this thread I opened http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=260&threadid=108894&enterthread=y) says that I need the Realtek driver. But I ve installed the Realtek driver twice now and I m sure that I then only get 2-ch. sound.

:confused::confused:

Webslinger,

All was working fine until last night. This was the first time I was going to watch a movie on my projector (this week I only tested it while watching the regular MONITOR OUT of the 4350). When watching on my projector I only get 2-channel sound now. Switching back to single display MONITOR AND turn OFF my projector AND power OFF and back ON my receiver lets the 5.1 multi channel come back and works again. Also switching to dual display OR single display with the projector does not work and only gives me 2-channel sound.
I ve checked the soundproperties in windows and it it still on '5.1' and not on 'Desktop Stereo Speakers'.

extra info: I own this card http://xi0.info/img/2242/quiet-optio...and_2242_1.jpg and I use the HDMI output of that card (not the DVI) for my projector (via my receiver) and the Monitor Out for my regular 17'' monitor.

Last edited:
You're going from the output on the video card to your receiver via hdmi, right? And then you're going from the receiver hdmi output to the projector, right? I don't have a projector to test with, but this is what I would do.

From an everything "off" state, do the following:

1. Turn on your receiver.

2. Turn on your projector.

3. Run Catalyst control center. Enable the display going to your receiver as "primary". Disable the other display (uncheck "enable"). So only have one display running (the one going to your receiver).

4. In sound settings, make sure ATI audio (or whatever it's called) is selected.

On some receivers, there's an TV HDMI audio out selection in the receiver's setup menu. Make sure that's off. If that's set to "on", the audio will be downcoverted to 2 channel PCM internally and sent to your projector. That's your receiver doing that--not the ATI driver. That receiver setup setting (when enabled) is intended for using the volume control with a t.v. and not for use with the receiver's volume control.

Last edited:
You're going from the output on the video card to your receiver via hdmi, right?
correct

And then you're going from the receiver hdmi output to the projector, right?
also correct.

From an everything "off" state, do the following:

1. Turn on your receiver.

2. Turn on your projector.

3. Run Catalyst control center. Enable the display going to your receiver as "primary". Disable the other display (uncheck "enable"). So only have one display running (the one going to your receiver).

4. In sound settings, make sure ATI audio (or whatever it's called) is selected.
tried this already, doesn t help

On some receivers, there's an TV HDMI audio out selection in the receiver's setup menu. Make sure that's off. If that's set to "on", the audio will be downcoverted to 2 channel PCM internally and sent to your projector. That's your receiver doing that--not the ATI driver. That receiver setup setting (when enabled) is intended for using the volume control with a t.v. and not for use with the receiver's volume control.
I just found out this setting in the online manual of my receiver:

HDMI AUDIO:
This setting determines whether to play back audio input to the HDMI jacks through the unit or output it through the unit to a TV or projector. ENABLE: The audio input to the HDMI jacks can be played back by this unit. In such case, audio signals are not output to the TV or projector. THROUGH: The audio input to the HDMI jacks is not output from the speaker terminals of the unit. Audio data is output directly to the TV or projector. This setting is used to listen to audio on a multi channel TV, etc.

Could this maybe be the setting you re talking about? If it is, then lest hope it is on THROUGH now (can t see until tonight, I m at the office right now) so I can switch this to ENABLE.

I also did see the following quote made by ATI in the release notes of the 9.1 driver:

Known Issues Under the Windows XP Operating System:

The following section provides a summary of open issues that may be experienced under the Windows XP operating system in the latest version of Catalyst™. These include:

• Only 2 channel audio is heard when playing back multichannel (Dolby
5.1.DTS) audio through HDMI connector

could it be that this is the actual problem I m having?

Webslinger,

I came home and sadly my Marantz AV8003 was already on ENABLED. I tried also the setting THROUGH to be sure but also no solution :(

My second hope was the 9.2 driver that was just released. Also no solution :(:(:(

So I did some more testing so I can give you as much information as possible.

When I select my projector as primary display I have only 2-channel sound (while ReClock clearly report 6ch out). This you already knew. When I want to have 5.1 multi channel work again I have to 1. Turn my Projector (JVC RS2) fully OFF. After this I make the switch to my monitor. But at that moment I STILL have 2-channel sound. What I HAVE to do is Power OFF my receiver (I then see a short flicker on my monitor and the audio device is gone then). Then I have to Power ON my receiver again. Again my monitor shows a very short 'flicker' and the HDA audio device return. ONLY after this I do get 5.1 Multi Channel again.

So I m thinking about this for ours now and just cannot understand what goes wrong......

Maybe you can think with me again and give more tips (really hope you have them).

thxz

When I select my projector as primary display I have only 2-channel sound (while ReClock clearly report 6ch out).

Disable Reclock while testing this issue (just to eliminate variables).

So the trigger that causes the problem is simply turning on the projector?

If so, contact Marantz to see if a firmware update is available for your receiver. You may want to also check if similar updates exist for your projector.

And while I doubt it will help, you may want to try changing the HDMI cable going to your projector.

ONLY after this I do get 5.1 Multi Channel again.

Are you basing this on your hearing--or basing this on what your receiver displays?

this weekend all of a sudden it worked! I really don t have any clue what did the job but I made an image right away! :agree:

thxz for all your effort Webslinger!

You're welcome!

(By the way, if this problem comes and goes, the problem could be a flaky HDMI cable. I had a problem once after bending an HDMI cable accidentally.)

Take care,

Webslinger

Last edited:
Back