• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

[Resolved] AnyDVD unresponsive after putting in a new DVD

I'm also trying to look around for a usbstor.sys update for Vista 64 bit edition, but I can't find anything at the moment.
I hate external drives; I rarely use them.

Okay, yeah, you do have the latest firmware update from Memorex (I just checked their website) . . .

1. Update to Anydvd 6.5.2.1 beta

2. Click the red fox icon on your toolbar. Navigate to "program settings".
Select "safe mode". Click "ok". Try again.

or

1. Disconnect the external Memorex drive.

2. Try ripping using your internal Optaric drive.

Other than trying another drive (or possibly crossflashing your Memorex to a Lite-on), and trying the newer Anydvd beta, I'm out of suggestions at this time.

Last edited:
Hmm an external, Lite-on DH-20A1H with a Memorex label slapped on it (rebadge) it seems . . .

Have you tried another drive?

Yeah it did it before I bought the external drive with the built in drive also.

I bought the external cuz I don't trust the mechanism of the internal. It's one that doesn't have a tray that opens, instead it sucks the disc in once you insert it so far. I've heard a disc spinning against something a couple times as if it wasn't seated right.

I'm also trying to look around for a usbstor.sys update for Vista 64 bit edition, but I can't find anything at the moment.
I hate external drives; I rarely use them.

Okay, yeah, you do have the latest firmware update from Memorex (I just checked their website) . . .

1. Update to Anydvd 6.5.2.1 beta

2. Click the red fox icon on your toolbar. Navigate to "program settings".
Select "safe mode". Click "ok". Try again.

or

1. Disconnect the external Memorex drive.

2. Try ripping using your internal Optaric drive.

Other than trying another drive (or possibly crossflashing your Memorex to a Lite-on), and trying the newer Anydvd beta, I'm out of suggestions at this time.

I've already installed 6.5.2.1 beta

I will perform your recent instructions sometime tomorrow and get back to you.

Well....it appears that the problem is the external drive causing the problem. I have detached it and have ran several applications accessing the DVD some of them simultaneously even (Nero DVD Speed while accessing AnyDVD) without any issues.

I'll probably take this drive back. Can anyone recommend a GOOD quality external DVD drive? I bought this one because of the Dual Layer capabilities, Lightscribe printing and also because I don't trust the mechanism of the internal drive. Its the type that you push the disc in and grabs it. I've had issues with it not ejecting a disc as well as hearing the disc spin against something internally as if it wasn't seated properly.

I have eSATA, USB 2.0 and Firewire capabilities.

Thanks for all your help.

Just thought I'd give another update.

I started having problems again with AnyDVD crashing and not being able to end process from task manager. Frustrating since I had made no changes to the system since it started working. Even had issues with Nero CD-DVD Speed crashing. At one point the optical drive became unresponsive and wouldn't even allow me to eject the DVD. I was about to have a meltdown. lol

I did a little investigating of my startup programs and I saw a startup program listed with the name Cyberlink. I remembered reading about issues with PowerDVD....but I had never installed PowerDVD.

Turns out that the Dell Media Direct DVD player software that comes pre-installed with the laptop is powered by Cyberlink, makers of PowerDVD. I uninstalled Media Direct and my problems have disappeared again.

With any luck they will stay resolved this time!! lol

Turns out that the Dell Media Direct DVD player software that comes pre-installed with the laptop is powered by Cyberlink, makers of PowerDVD. I uninstalled Media Direct and my problems have disappeared again.

With any luck they will stay resolved this time!! lol

So was that program running as soon as you inserted a dvd? Interesting. Thank you

I'm back with a further update on the situation of my unresponsive BD Drive and AnyDVD crashing.

Frustrated at the constant crashing I finally resorted to calling Dell tech support. There they took control of my laptop and proceded to delete ALL filters for the optic drives from my registry. Of course this allowed the drive to work but left AnyDVD inoperative and iTunes with issues. I said, "That's great but now my software won't work. We're trading one issue for another." Their response? Get different software. MORONS!

After various trial and error with many different softwares I've finally come across the solution to my woes of having AnyDVD (or any software that accesses the optic drive) crash and hang up with no ability to end process and recover. Most times requiring me to do a hard re-boot.

It appears to be a combination of RAID Technology installed on my system, the BD Drive, and Intel chipset drivers. After finding a solution by someone else to the same problem I was having with another software (CDBurnerXP), I was led to install Intel Matrix Storage Manager to alleviate the issues and it immediately solved the problem with CDBurnerXP.

I decided to reinstall AnyDVD and see if it worked and so far it's been a charm!! Before AnyDVD would read a disc, allow me to rip or shrink ONCE and then lock up. Occasionally it would do 2 and fool me into thinking that I had solved the problem as seen in other posts. I've since done 6 straight decrypts, backups and burns without a single crash.

Here is a link explaining what Intel Matrix Storage Manager is: http://www.intel.com/design/chipsets/matrixstorage_sb.htm

And here is a link to download the driver or patch or whatever it is: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Product_Filter.aspx?ProductID=2101

Back