• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

[Resolved] AnyDVD unresponsive after putting in a new DVD

coach316

I have the same issue as the original poster.

New (bought Jan 2, 2009) Dell Studio 17 laptop with Vista 64-bit Home Premium installed. Don't have further details as I am at work and don't have the unit with me.

I inserted a DVD, AnyDVD scanned it and gave its report. I then ripped the DVD with no troubles. Ejected DVD and inserted another DVD and AnyDVD would not scan the disc. Open AnyDVD and it was unresponsive. Won't allow you to end process with task manager. Hangs out there until you either shut down the system or wait for a long period of time for it to release.

Have turned off UAC and DEP, as original poster had tried, and no difference.

I thought perhaps there might be something else in conflict but after restarting the system, exiting AnyDVD before I enter any discs in the drive; I can then work with several DVD softwares and multiple discs without any instances of crashes or hang ups.

If you need further details such as a log file or this Imgburn filter list the OP was talking about, I will need instruction as to how to provide it for you.

Thanks.

Do not post in other people's troubleshooting threads unless you wish to assist them please. Click the link in my signature, and read fully. Thank you

1. What motherboard brand and model are you using?

2. Contact Dell and request chipset driver updates.

3. Contact Dell and request a firmware update for your optical drive.

a) Ensure Anydvd is running.
b) Put an original movie dvd in your burner. Wait for Anydvd to scan the disc.
c) Right click the red fox icon on your toolbar.
d) Select "Create Logfile"
e) Wait for Anydvd to create a log file.
f) A pop-up screen will appear. Take note of the location where Anydvd created the logfile and the logfile's name. Click "ok".
g) Windows Explorer will open, and you will see a zip file called "Anydvd_Info_titleofmydisc.zip" (or something similar; see step f)
h) When replying or posting in the Slysoft forums, look for the icon that looks like
attach.gif
(in other words, look for the paperclip after clicking "quote" or when creating a new thread)
i) If you don't see that paperclip icon, click the "go advanced" button. You should see that icon now. Click the paperclip.
j) A small pop-up screen should appear (if it doesn't please ensure your browser is enabled to allow pop-ups from the Slysoft forums)
k) Click the "Browse" button, and locate and select the .zip file you created.
l) click "upload"
m) Close the window. When you submit reply, or submit a new thread, the .zip file will be attached automatically for us to take a look at

My apologies, I admit not reading any of the forum rules threads in an effort to save myself time. Most forums I'm involved in don't want new threads started on the same topic, however I understand your reasoning that not everyone necessarily has the same problem even though they appear similar.

1. I don't know what the motherboard brand/model is...as stated before it is a Dell Studio 17 laptop - first computer I've owned that I didn't build myself since '93. I was unable to ascertain the motherboard details however following is my system information.

OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium
Version 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1 Build 6001
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name DOOLEY-PC
System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
System Model Studio 1737
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T6400 @ 2.00GHz, 2000 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A04, 11/26/2008
SMBIOS Version 2.5
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume3
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.0.6001.18000"
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 3.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 2.96 GB
Available Physical Memory 1.49 GB
Total Virtual Memory 6.12 GB
Available Virtual Memory 4.39 GB
Page File Space 3.25 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

2. Chipset drivers were/are up to date.

3. Both optical drive firmware were/are up to date.

4. See attached AnyDVD log as instructed

After during further research on my own I have come across people (not necessarily AnyDVD users) with problems similar to mine in that their DVD drives go unresponsive due to filter driver issues from other optic drive softwares. I found the following filters installed in the registry:

Upper filter: GEARAspiWDM.sys (itunes)
Lower filter: AnyDVD.sys
Lower filter: pxhlpa64.sys (still haven't determined which software uses this)

I followed the instructions to remove the filters from the registry and reboot my system. This of course leaves the software associated with those drivers inoperable or semi-inoperable. And, as expected AnyDVD and iTunes reported that it had a problem and needed to be uninstalled and reinstalled. I closed AnyDVD and was able to use my drives and multiple softwares without ANY issues whatsoever.

I then uninstalled AnyDVD, rebooted, installed AnyDVD, rebooted again. Registry now shows:

Upper filter: (NONE)
Lower filter: AnyDVD.sys

I inserted a DVD into my external drive, AnyDVD scanned the disc and opened. I clicked on a different tab within AnyDVD and immediately AnyDVD crashed and the drives became unresponsive.

So far it appears that AnyDVD.sys is the culprit. Or at the very least seems to be conflicted with my system.

Also, I found AnyDVD.sys installed in two locations: Windows\System32 and Windows\SysWOW64. Is this normal?

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• AnyDVD_Info_F_HEARTBREAK_RIDGE.zip
    76.5 KB · Views: 5
Did you install Musicmatch? that seems to be the main culprit for pxhlpa64.sys

No. I used to use MusicMatch years ago and then they were bought out by Yahoo and its turned into Yahoo Jukebox and I bailed on it. Wouldn't use it if it were the last media player on earth.

Besides, after deleting the filters and reinstalling AnyDVD, the only filter listed in the registry is AnyDVD.sys. So basically at this point:

No filters = no problem
AnyDVD.sys in lower filter = problems return

My apologies, I admit not reading any of the forum rules threads in an effort to save myself time. Most forums I'm involved in don't want new threads started on the same topic, however I understand your reasoning that not everyone necessarily has the same problem even though they appear similar.

I also don't want to have to troubleshoot different people's problems within the same thread (gets confusing).

Also, I found AnyDVD.sys installed in two locations: Windows\System32 and Windows\SysWOW64. Is this normal?

Yes

Adbear said:

No. Sonic installed it

PxHlpa64 (System32\Drivers\PxHlpa64.sys), Version: 3.0.70.2 (2.0.0.0)
Company: Sonic Solutions
Product: PxHelp64
Copyright: Copyright © Sonic Solutions
Description: Px Engine Device Driver for 64-bit Windows
FileVersion: 3.00.70C

Drive (Hardware) Region: 0 (not set!)

i. Right click the fox on your toolbar. Exit Anydvd
ii. Click start. Right click on "My computer"--->select "properties".
iii.Click on the 'Hardware' tab--->click the 'device manager' button.
iv. Open the dvd/cdrom branch---> right click on your optical drive
v. Click "properties".
vi. You should have a region tab. From there you can select a region.
vii. Select the region that you're in
viii. Start Anydvd

Both optical drive firmware were/are up to date

You contacted Dell?

2. Disable User Acount Control.

a) Keep your license key file backed up safely
b) Uninstall Anydvd (start-->all programs-->Slysoft--->Anydvd-->Uninstall)
c) Reboot
d) backup your registry: click http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756
e) Try running a registry cleaner program at this point like CCleaner (run the registry cleaner)
f) Download Anydvd 6.5.2.0 beta: http://sandbox.slysoft.com/beta/SetupAnyDVD6520.exe
g) Exit all Slysoft programs (including Anydvd, Clonedvd2, Clonecd, Clonecdtray, Clonedvdmobile, etc.). Check Windows Task Manager if you have to.
h) At this point disable your antivirus and firewall programs
i) Install the file you downloaded in step f
j) Reboot
k) Install your license key (if required) http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=732
l) At this point enable your antivirus and firewall programs

Last edited:
No. Sonic installed it

PxHlpa64 (System32\Drivers\PxHlpa64.sys), Version: 3.0.70.2 (2.0.0.0)
Company: Sonic Solutions
Product: PxHelp64
Copyright: Copyright © Sonic Solutions
Description: Px Engine Device Driver for 64-bit Windows
FileVersion: 3.00.70C

At first I had no idea what/who Sonic was. Now I realize they make Roxio software which came pre-installed on the system. No worries there as I don't really care for it plus it's a watered down version.

You contacted Dell?

Yes. Chipset drivers were current. No new firmware available for built in Optiarc BD-Rom. Went so far as to track down the manufacturer of Optiarc which happens to be Sony. According to their Support website for firmware on this drive: No new updates available. I noticed this drive was their newest Optiarc model produced so I imagine they haven't had any firmware rebuilds yet.

I couldn't find the firmware version for the Maxell external drive so I went ahead and downloaded their latest firmware update and installed. Turns out I already had the latest so it was unnecessary but no harm.

i. Right click the fox on your toolbar. Exit Anydvd
ii. Click start. Right click on "My computer"--->select "properties".
iii.Click on the 'Hardware' tab--->click the 'device manager' button.
iv. Open the dvd/cdrom branch---> right click on your optical drive
v. Click "properties".
vi. You should have a region tab. From there you can select a region.
vii. Select the region that you're in
viii. Start Anydvd

2. Disable User Acount Control.

c) Reboot
e) Try running a registry cleaner program at this point like CCleaner (run the registry cleaner)
f) Download Anydvd 6.5.2.0 beta: http://sandbox.slysoft.com/beta/SetupAnyDVD6520.exe
g) Exit all Slysoft programs (including Anydvd, Clonedvd2, Clonecd, Clonecdtray, Clonedvdmobile, etc.). Check Windows Task Manager if you have to.
j) Reboot
k) Install your license key (if required) http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=732

I will proceed with these instructions as soon as I get home.

Thanks, and I'll let you know the results as soon as I have them.

The drives were set to region 1 when I went to change them per your instructions. But, I do remember a program indicating that the region wasn't set...perhaps when I uninstalled and reinstalled AnyDVD initially yesterday? I must've told it to set the region at that point because it was surely set today.

The good news is....that seems to have done the trick!!

Any ideas what caused the problem to begin with?

Thanks so much for all your help!

The drives were set to region 1 when I went to change them per your instructions. But, I do remember a program indicating that the region wasn't set...perhaps when I uninstalled and reinstalled AnyDVD initially yesterday?

You absolutely must exit Anydvd when checking your drives' region codes. The reason is that Anydvd tricks your operating system into believing the region code is set when it really isn't. So you must exit Anydvd while checking.

Any ideas what caused the problem to begin with?

I could guess, but I'm not going to bother. Those steps usually fix things for most people.

Thanks so much for all your help!

You're welcome. Take care

Last edited:
Grrrrrrr....I spoke too soon. :doh:

I ripped a DVD and as soon as it was done, AnyDVD became unresponsive, hung up and won't end process in task manager.

<<Sigh>>

Grrrrrrr....I spoke too soon. :doh:

I ripped a DVD and as soon as it was done, AnyDVD became unresponsive, hung up and won't end process in task manager.

<<Sigh>>

Did you insert a new disc? Allow Anydvd up to 10 minutes to scan a disc.

Also make sure that you follow these steps, especially 2e

1. Disable User Acount Control.

c) Reboot
j) Reboot

3. Afterwards, upload another Anydvd log zip file please.

After I posted that the issue seemed to be clear I inserted a DVD and AnyDVD scanned it and the report popped up. I clicked on ok. I ripped the DVD to the hard drive. It completed and indicated that the rip had occurred without issue. I clicked on ok. I then opened up AnyDVD and it went non-responsive.

Yes, I followed the instructions to the letter.

Do I need to leave UAC off permanently? After everything seemed to be working fine I turned it back on.

I will attempt to run your instructions again and post a log file later, I'm giving it a break for awhile.

Ok, I've finally gotten time to get back to this.

I've followed all the instructions to the letter.

UAC is still off.

I've attached a new logfile.

I will attempt a rip and see if it locks up again and let you know the results.

Hopefully we can get this figured out as this is an important piece of software to me. If we do, I just might end up buying the HD upgrade along with clonedvd and clonedvdmobile cuz you'll have a customer for life. ;)

Otherwise I might have to resort to setting up a dual boot system and run it from XP and I really don't want to have to do that.

Attachments

• AnyDVD_Info_F_ROAD_TO_PERDITION.zip
    114.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
No go...I didn't even get one rip out of it before AnyDVD crashed.

After I uploaded the AnyDVD log to you, I went to use AnyDVD ripper to rip it to the HD and AnyDVD is locked up. Won't open, won't end process in task manager.

Back