• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Remux audio into HD or blu container

liels

Some movies we (ie the kids) like to repeatedly watch are available in high resolution as HD-DVDs or blu-rays but audio tracks we want are available only on PAL DVD-5/9 discs.

Getting the AC3 (or whatever) out of the DVD TS container isn't a big deal, but what I'd like to know is if anyone could point to instructions/software/whatever that would allow me to replace one of the blu/HDDVD audio tracks with the ripped AC3 (and keep it in sync with the video of course, and presumably be selected by one of the existing blu/HD audio menu items).

Thanks

Some movies we (ie the kids) like to repeatedly watch are available in high resolution as HD-DVDs or blu-rays but audio tracks we want are available only on PAL DVD-5/9 discs.
Aren't the ones on the BD or HD DVD good or even better then the ones from DVD?
Getting the AC3 (or whatever) out of the DVD TS container isn't a big deal, but what I'd like to know is if anyone could point to instructions/software/whatever that would allow me to replace one of the blu/HDDVD audio tracks with the ripped AC3 (and keep it in sync with the video of course, and presumably be selected by one of the existing blu/HD audio menu items).
In most cases what you want won't be possible. BD's and HD DVDs always have the native recording framerate, which is 24 f/s for normal cinema film. For publishing these movies on a PAL DVD they are commonly sped up to reach the PAL framerate of 25 f/s. So you will not be able to use the AC3 stream directly. You will have to decode them, slow them down and recode them to AC3.

http://www.pegasys-inc.com/

Many, many years ago I used to change frame rates from NTSC at 23.976 fps, PAL at 25 fps, and NTSC at 29.976 fps using pull-down options.

I used at that time what was called TMPGENC PLUS 2.5 which was a custom encoder with quite a few custom options, at that time it was for std def only.

My point is, check the above web-site and see if they have a product for PAL at 25fps to Blu-Ray at 24fps and the option to covert your audio stream to AC-3. Also, ffmpeg can convert an audio stream to AC-3

:agree:

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.pegasys-inc.com/

Many, many years ago I used to change frame rates from NTSC at 23.976 fps, PAL at 25 fps, and NTSC at 29.976 fps using pull-down options.

I used at that time what was called TMPGENC PLUS 2.5 which was a custom encoder with quite a few custom options, at that time it was for std def only.

My point is, check the above web-site and see if they have a product for PAL at 25fps to Blu-Ray at 24fps and the option to covert your audio stream to AC-3. Also, ffmpeg can convert an audio stream to AC-3

:agree:

Thanks ... yeah, I use ffmpeg for tons of things and would use it to dump the desired track out of the DVD container.

The software looks interesting ... I think what I want probably requires more skill and deep knowledge than I've got.

PS - Are Blu/HD-DVD encoded at true 24fps or is it 24000/1001 (23.976) fps? Blu/HD playback on mplayer seems to work better if the fractional frame rate is specified instead of the integer one.

PS - Are Blu/HD-DVD encoded at true 24fps or is it 24000/1001 (23.976) fps?
They can be encoded either way. Most are encoded 24000/1001 (23.976), but I've seen 24fps, too.
HD DVDs are (were) always 24000/1001 (23.976).

IIRC Eac3to is able to extract an audio file from a source container, speed up or slow down the audio to match PAL to NTSC (or vice versa) and convert to a different audio format if required.

I think TSRemux and/or TSMuxer might be capable of re-inserting the audio track into a container, although I expect there would be issues with something foreign in the original structure.

If playing back on a PC, another option is using Eac3to to extract and convert the HD source video to an .mkv file (Matroska container), extract and modify the PAL source audio and then merge this audio with the video into a Matroska mkv container. Unfortunately you lose subtitles unless you go through a few more steps and it won't playback with PowerDVD.

Alternatively, I believe TSRemux could be used in a similar fashion to merge elements into a basic Bluray structure that is playable with PowerDVD.

There is a wealth of information on forum.doom9.org about these sorts of things, particularly in the Audio Encoding and HD(DVD) & Bluray Authoring sections.

Back