• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Remove black bars feature

dzihan

I am wondering how to properly use the "remove black bars" feature in the Target dialog.
I set the options for audio and video to copy original without transcoding. The Bluray video is 1920x800 but the resulting output MKV always ends up with 1920x1080 with black bars on top and bottom.
What does this option actually do? Is there any hint on its proper usage?

The Bluray video is 1920x800
When the source already is at x800, then it doesn't even have black bars. So CloneBD gets confused and adds them. You would need to try it with a 1080p source.

But I thought that BD always is 1080p. So although the above is right, I am not sure if you can really have a source of x800. But since I haven't used CloneBD for a long time and also don't know the details of the BD format, I cannot say anything more.

I am wondering how to properly use the "remove black bars" feature in the Target dialog.
I set the options for audio and video to copy original without transcoding. The Bluray video is 1920x800 but the resulting output MKV always ends up with 1920x1080 with black bars on top and bottom.
What does this option actually do? Is there any hint on its proper usage?
Blu-ray video is 1920x1080. The black bars option is designed to result in an mkv with e.g. 1920x800. It does work, but is "temperamental" sometimes.

Hi James, thanks for the reply. So far this option did not change anything for me yet, the resulting output always is 1920x1080. In fact, the original Bluray content is also 1920x1080 including the black bars. I thought, this option would automatically and lossless crop these black bars in the MKV, however that's not the case or I am doing something wrong...

Hello everyone,
I have just bought CloneBD. I'm also facing the problem that I can't remove the black bars. So the function "remove black bars" cannot be used with Clone BD?
Thank you and best regards

Hello everyone,
I have just bought CloneBD. I'm also facing the problem that I can't remove the black bars. So the function "remove black bars" cannot be used with Clone BD?
CloneBD can remove black bars; however, there are some conditions.

1. The copy mode you selected: Black bars can only be removed in "Convert for a device or into a file", but NOT if you copy to Disc, ISO, or Structure.
2. There need to be black bars to remove them.
3. If you have a movie with black bars containing DolbyVision, you will NOT be able to remove black bars unless you remove DolbyVision.

DolbyVision removed and the "Crop black bars" can be ticket.
1708400573701.png

Include DolbyVision, and "Crop black bars" is greyed out.
1708400590238.png

Hello everyone,
does anyone of you have an idea why the video image is compressed after cropping the black bars and whether something can be done about it?

Are you talking about

Spatial Compression:
This refers to the video looking squished or stretched, affecting the dimensions of the content.
or

Quality Compression:
Video is compressed - smaller file size

I am talking about spatial compression.
To get the correct aspect ratio again, I have to stretch it in the player.
That works, of course. But it's annoying in the long run.

I am talking about spatial compression.
To get the correct aspect ratio again, I have to stretch it in the player.
That works, of course. But it's annoying in the long run.
Sounds to me like a player problem. What are you using for playback?
And if your player struggles with "strange" aspect ratios, just keep the black bars. They usually don't hurt, unless you have a fancy setup like a constant image height projector & screen setup.

I have been using the MPCHC Media Player for many years and am very satisfied with it. If I don't remove the black bars, the picture is not compressed.
I can of course leave the bars. But they eat up storage space. This is clearly noticeable with a picture format of 2.40:1.

...and too many hassles afterwards. A waste of time.
Also, one nasty consequence of removing the black bars that I have noticed is the subtitles that would normally gone below the video, will now often times be over top of it (and if the colors clash, it can be hard to see).

No, black bars should not change the file size significantly.

I have just saved the BD Garden State. Once 1080p and once cropped in 820p. Otherwise with exactly the same settings.

5.PNG6.PNG7.PNG

That's just under 20% difference in the amount of data.

So in both cases the video codec is set to HEVC and the "size slider" on top is set to the maximum value?

Back