• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Region Code on LG External DVD/ CD ROM

Indyrod

when I bought this LG external dvd rom, there was no region code. I had to disconnect the player from the USB hub, and when I plugged it back in, ANYDVD would not recognize it. I've had that happen before, and had to do a reboot, and then ANYDVD did recognize it. BUT, I was trying to get around a reboot this time, and followed some instructions here on the forum and set the region code to USA (1), which did nothing, ANYDVD still did not recognize it. I wanted to remove the region code, and uninstalled it, and reinstalled it, and the region code was still set to "1". I guess once the region is set for the drive, nothing will remove it, probably because the firmware was set. So, I was thinking, if I get a different region code DVD, now it wouldn't play and I screwed myself.

Then I remembered ANYDVD is supposed to handle region codes, but I don't understand that part of it. Basically, am I ok, and ANYDVD will handle this, and I should not worry about trying to remove the region code from the external drive?

And WHY, does it take a reboot to recognize the drive when I unplug it and plug it back it? Everything else recognizes it, except for ANYDVD?

thanks...

You HAVE to set the drive's region code, its the first thing we tell anyone to do if they have issues with a CSS protected disc and the drive region isn't set. An unset drive region can CAUSE problems for anydvd to decrypt CSS protected discs, if the drive doesn't have a region anydvd can try a bruteforce crack method but that doesn't always work.

There's a difference between setting the drives region (which is stored at firmware level yes), and removing a DVD disc region which is as simple as a setting in AnyDvd's DVD settings section. Anydvd DOES handle disc region removal, but for everything to work correctly the drives region needs to be set. an (un)set region wont cause anydvd to see or not see the drive. There's something else going on with the drive/system.

Ok, I get what your saying, even though I've ran a lot of dvds through ANYDVD with no problem with no region code, but still I can see that it should have the right one. The other problem I still don't understand, is when I disconnect the external player, and plug it back in, I can see it immediately in My Computer, so Win 7 is working and other programs that use the drive recognize it, except for ANYDVD, even if I click "Aggressive Scan for Drives". Like I said, ANYDVD will not recognize the external drive without a reboot. There has to be a reason for that. thanks...

That you've been able to process where previously with an unset region doesn't matter, that simply means anydvd was able to bruteforce crack CSS. That doesn't always when, sooner or later it would fail. That's not a matter of IF but only a matter of WHEN.

If windows can see the drive then anydvd should too, the fact that you say it doesn't means that there's likely something going on with your system. Try uninstalling both the drive (remove it from device manager) and anydvd. Then reboot reinstall the drive and anydvd and immediately reboot again. Maybe that will work.

If it doesn't, check anydvd settings drive detector. Is it enabled? There's a difference between not seeing the drive and seeing the drive but not enabled fit it. Also, in your next post add and anydvd logfile when the drive is attached. Even if it's not seen. You can find instructions on how to provide one in the stickies up top.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 7 met Tapatalk

thanks, but I've looked every place, including settings, and I don't see a "drive detector" option. I see the "Aggressive Scan for Drives", which is not checked, but not the other.

here's the log

Attachments

• AnyDVD_7.6.3.0_Info_F_EMPTY_DRIVE.ziplog
    27.2 KB · Views: 4
I've attached a screen print, what you told me, is not there.

Attachments

• anydvd-prtscreen.jpg
    anydvd-prtscreen.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 12
when I bought this LG external dvd rom, there was no region code. I had to disconnect the player from the USB hub, and when I plugged it back in, ANYDVD would not recognize it. I've had that happen before, and had to do a reboot, and then ANYDVD did recognize it. BUT, I was trying to get around a reboot this time, and followed some instructions here on the forum and set the region code to USA (1), which did nothing, ANYDVD still did not recognize it. I wanted to remove the region code, and uninstalled it, and reinstalled it, and the region code was still set to "1". I guess once the region is set for the drive, nothing will remove it, probably because the firmware was set. So, I was thinking, if I get a different region code DVD, now it wouldn't play and I screwed myself.

Then I remembered ANYDVD is supposed to handle region codes, but I don't understand that part of it. Basically, am I ok, and ANYDVD will handle this, and I should not worry about trying to remove the region code from the external drive?

And WHY, does it take a reboot to recognize the drive when I unplug it and plug it back it? Everything else recognizes it, except for ANYDVD?

thanks...

Just wanted to make sure I understand the scenario.

1) This external DVD was visible before ? then you unplugged it from the USB hub, and then it disappeared from Windows explorer ? or just AnyDVD ?

2) I also have an external LG DVD on a USB hub, and never had to reboot to have it recognized by AnyDVD.

3) Have done a scan for viruses ? I use malwarebytes, the trial version.

4) When I purchased this external DVD, it came with a CD that has software, and drivers, have you installed those...

and lastly , I think.

5) What changes took place when it was first being detected, and then disappeared.

I am asking these questions because as I investigate the log file, I do not see the drivers for the external DVD. So, that's why I am asking if windows explorer is showing this drive.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Euhm, that screenshot IS the drive selection. So yeah it is, cause you're in it. The drives anydvd sees are listed there (meaning you can SELECT) which ones you want to enable anydvd for.

According to the log, that drive isn't installed. It's not listed and there's no possible conflicting issue with the lower class filter stacks. You might want to check in device manager if it's properly installed and uninstall it or check if there's new drivers for it. There's either A) something wrong with your system or B) with the drive

@vtal: virus scan is irrelevant, they can't cause a drive not to be seen by anydvd or windows and 4 doesn't matter either. All those drives usually come with is PowerDVD and that's it. Windows uses a generic driver NATIVE to windows no matter how old or new it is. They never come with drivers.

Last edited:
after I uninstalled and reinstalled the drive a few days ago, for another problem. All I did was plug the external drive back in after that, and windows got the drivers from somewhere, because it works fine. after you asked me about it not showing, I put the DVD install disc in that came with the drive, and I can't figure it out, it's trying to install a Cyberlink media suite, which I don't want, but I don't see how to just install the drivers. I called Best Buy, and they said if it works, which it does, then there is no need to use the install disc. I'm kind of stumped now.

As I said, those CD's only ever contain powerdvd/Cyberlink stuff. They NEVER contain drivers, not just LG drives that counts for every drive that exists. Windows uses a standard driver for every drive.

so then, everything is OK, I mean it's still not known why it takes a reboot after disconnecting the drive, but I can put up with that. can you think, if I need do anything, I haven't all ready done. should the "Aggressive Scan for Drives" be checked, I don't know what it does, but I've never checked it before? thanks again for the help...

oh yea, Device Manager says the drive is working properly.

Aggressive scan is a setting to do sort of a deep level scan on the OS for optical drives that should be visible to anydvd but for some reason are not. I don't know if that settings needs to be kept enabled if a user has a problem or only once but you can try it if you havent already. The only thing i can think of otherwise is that USB hub, Anydvd might not detect it because it first needs to go "through" that hub to find that drive. Drives are best connected (imo) directly to the system.

I saw something in the log about HP so i don't know if this applies to you

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01895589

other than that i'm out of idea's.

The LG that I purchased came with a CD that does include CyberLink/PowerDVD, but it also came with a software that loads at startup to check for new firmware.

It is always good to rule out if any virus is installed and preventing a software to properly function, and/or detect device drivers. It is just a troubleshooting technique to elminate/rule out any kind of issue with a PC.

Wait a minute. The screenshot of the drive selections shows the device as being HL-

so it is being deteced by AnyDVD ....

Last edited:
maybe that is the problem, the external LG ROM is connected to a powered USB Hub, with four extra USB ports, which connects to a single USB port on my laptop. I ran out of USB ports for all the stuff I need hooked up, like three WD external drives. maybe it takes a reboot for ANYDVD to find it, with the way the external drive is hooked up. Windows however, like I said, finds it immediately.

I'm confused too, that I had Best Buy install the LG ROM, when I bought it, and I thought they used that disc that came with it. If all I had to do was plug it in, and it picks up the drivers from Windows, then I wonder what they did. Doesn't sound like much of anything. Unless it had to be registered or something, because I have something called LG Tool Kit, that checks for firmware updates to the drive. they had to get that from somewhere. thanks for your time, sorry it took so long.

That tool only does exactly that check odd for a new firmware. Something the user can easily do on the site themselves or on firmwarehq. That's all it does. Virus causing problems for software to run correctly sure, but not in the case of anydvd with us built in tamper check. Virtue preventing a drive from being detected? Doesn't exist or even possible, on the contrary some RELY on drives to spread.

The LG that I purchased came with a CD that does include CyberLink/PowerDVD, but it also came with a software that loads at startup to check for new firmware.

It is always good to rule out if any virus is installed and preventing a software to properly function, and/or detect device drivers. It is just a troubleshooting technique to elminate/rule out any kind of issue with a PC.

Wait a minute. The screenshot of the drive selections shows the device as being HL-

so it is being deteced by AnyDVD ....

yes, the drive is showing now in ANYDVD, because I did a reboot the last time it was disconnected. As far as the software that checks for firmware updates, you have any idea how they got that off that CD, without going through the Cyberlink install? I couldn't figure out how to do that.

yes, the drive is showing now in ANYDVD, because I did a reboot the last time it was disconnected. As far as the software that checks for firmware updates, you have any idea how they got that off that CD, without going through the Cyberlink install? I couldn't figure out how to do that.

When I plugged the device into the USB hub, I placed the CD into the other DVD drive, and it installed itself, and then asked me if I wanted to install PowerDVD which I did. Every re-start, the software scans for updates for the firmware, but I disabled it because it does not need new firmware.

Back