• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Recommendation for software to trim and cut TS files

JCH.H

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a decent app to trim the start/finish & also cut commercials from 1080p .ts files (recorded from an HDHomerun)?

I use AvIdemux for most of my SD recordings - it's great and quick, but I get loads of errors when using it for 1080p.

Occasionally, I also use "Movavi Split movie 2" - it's slower but has a smart frame-accurate capability (only re-encodes around the cut point) but it really struggles with a FHD movie and often just hangs for ages.

Any suggestions would be deeply appreciated.

For my projects I've been using "Smart Cutter for DV and DVB" for years.

Thanks!

It doesn't look like it's been updated in a while - do you find it stable on Win10?

I tried the MacOS version but it seemed a bit flakey when trying to save. I am on a Mac but use Fusion to run AnyStream, so perhaps I just need to run it on Fusion as well.

I use video redo. There is nothing better for commercial cutting imo.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Thanks!

It doesn't look like it's been updated in a while - do you find it stable on Win10?

I tried the MacOS version but it seemed a bit flakey when trying to save. I am on a Mac but use Fusion to run AnyStream, so perhaps I just need to run it on Fusion as well.
Yeah, works well for me on Win10.
Never tested VideoReDo, will give it a try.

thanks!

I have only tried VideoReDo once so far but find it a little more fiddly to use - this may simply be a case of becoming more familiar with it though.

It takes a little getting used to but once you use it for a bit and learn the keyboard shortcuts it becomes second nature. Make sure it's in cut mode, also. It's by far the best product I've ever used for commercial cutting. I use comskip to find and mark the commercial points and vrd to review/ edit them before writing out an mkv for my plex server. I do this daily.

Make sure it's in cut mode

cheers; I did find that confusing - I (thought I) was in cut mode and it saved the cut pieces. I toggled it (twice) and then it saved the saved pieces. I'll try that again.

Is there any keyboard shortcut for something between next-frame and 30 secs?

[edit: hit send before completing a sentence - removed. apologies]

Last edited:
Indeed there is. The right and left arrow keys in combination with shift (10 seconds) or control (60 seconds) makes navigating pretty quick. If you have cut points you can move between them with f5 and f6. To mark the start of a cut point is for and the end of a cut point of f4. Hitting delete adds it to the cut list. Hitting tab moves you from cut point to cut point. This will all seem awkward and confusing at first but I promise once you use it for a while it all becomes second nature and you'll wonder how you lived without it.

P.s. those times for the arrow keys are configurable in the options page. You can customize them to whatever you want.

Sure thing. If you need anything else with it, let me know. And try out comskip when you get a chance. You can configure it to output a vprj project file to be used with video redo and it'll create all the cut points for you. That's what I do and then I just use VRD to review and edit the cut points. Makes it so much faster. Takes me literally about 2 to 3 minutes per episode to review and make the cuts because everything else is automated.

www.comskip.org - comskip.org

The dev appears absent. I have emailed twice for seperate issues (running on Mac) but no reply. I'm a Mac user so this would have been the easiest for me, but the lack of answers in the forum, the problems I have with the Mac version and the lack of response from the dev means I would be wasting my money with this app now.

I use video redo.
The auto commercial bit doesn't work for me - might be a UK v US commercial difference thing - but I am happy editing manually. Thanks for the suggestion!

[edited for typos]

The dev appears absent. I have emailed twice for seperate issues (running on Mac) but no reply. I'm a Mac user so this would have been the easiest for me, but the lack of answers in the forum, the problems I have with the Mac version and the lack of response from the dev means I would be wasting my money with this app now.
Never used the forum, I'm not much into reporting issues with any software I own.
Mostly I consult my two best friends Trial & Error when having issues...
There are some free software you could try out. They are regulary updated.
https://github.com/mifi/lossless-cut#download
https://shotcut.org/download/

Mostly I consult my two best friends Trail & Error when having issues...

Sure, me too - but when the app crashes on saving or when the sound crackles so you can't hear anything useful, there isn't much you can do. It's a paid-for app, so you'd expect some level of support.

There are som free software you could try out. They are regulary updated.
cheers for the extra suggestion! I have tried them both; Lossless-cut uses Chromium so is a pain for .ts files (I really like it otherwise) and Shotcut is also great but does so much more than I need so I was looking for something simpler. I do use it for other things :)

Sure, me too - but when the app crashes on saving or when the sound crackles so you can't hear anything useful, there isn't much you can do. It's a paid-for app, so you'd expect some level of support.
cheers for the extra suggestion! I have tried them both; Lossless-cut uses Chromium so is a pain for .ts files (I really like it otherwise) and Shotcut is also great but does so much more than I need so I was looking for something simpler. I do use it for other things :)
There could be a Mac isssue with Smart Cutter, just did an edit, setting new start and end points and then transcode with a .ts file without any hickups.

There could be a Mac isssue with Smart Cutter

Sorry, I wasn't clear. Both my issues are Mac-only - the app works perfectly with Windows (I am using a VM for that which I am also using for AnyStream).

The Windows version could be plan-b for me but I am trying to avoid the VM if I can. I'll wait and see if the dev eventually responds.

...I appreciate you doing that test just now though :)

Back