• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Read Speed on Blu-ray?

toycamryj

I am curious what read speed everybody is getting on backing up their Blu-ray discs.

I am on a Sony Viao laptop, Core 2 Duo T9500 @ 2.6GHz and 4GB PC2-6400, with a Blu-ray reader/burner model, MATSHITA BD-MLT UJ-220S 1.03 07122800 .

I get up to 8.50 MB/secs using Vista and AnyDVD HD 6.4.3.8 enabled.

What kind of speeds is everybody else seeing?

Thanks! :)

Last edited:
I am curious what read speed everybody is getting on backing up their Blu-ray discs.

I am on a Sony Viao laptop with a Blu-ray reader/burner model, MATSHITA BD-MLT UJ-220S 1.03 07122800 .

I get up to 8.50 MB/secs using Vista and AnyDVD HD 6.4.3.8.

Same here using 6.4.3.8

I am on a Sony Viao laptop with a Blu-ray reader/burner model, MATSHITA BD-MLT UJ-220S 1.03 07122800 .

I get up to 8.50 MB/secs using Vista and AnyDVD HD 6.4.3.8.

Seems quite slow, as I get DOUBLE that, although speed can vary based on drive access techniques (eg CAV, etc.). Best to use a time for ripping a specific size movie. I have the LG GGC-H20L and I can rip a ~19GB BD at ~24 minutes, using CloneCD ISO mode to SATA2 drive (WinXP Pro SP3, XFX 680i LT SLI, E4500 2.2GHz Core2Duo o/c @ 2.7GHz, 2GB PC-6400 ram) maximum 17MB/sec., average 13.4MB/sec. with AnyDvd HD 6.4.3.8 enabled as a test. I don't normally rip with AnyDvd enabled to make sure I don't get caught with problems, as recommended by SamuriHL - good advice, given the recent crop of titles that cannot be handled when they first came out.

There is no reason that I know of why anyone would be ripping to folders anymore, nor creating ISO's with AnyDvd enabled (after letting it "see" the disc to update the key).

@HLKC - time to upgrade your processor to Core2Duo or Quad - those old P4 systems just don't cut it anymore. I believe I said that already in another thread - with that kicka*s A/V system you have you shouldn't cheap out on the guts of your HTPC.... ;)

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• ripspeed008.jpg
    ripspeed008.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 157
  • ripspeed009.jpg
    ripspeed009.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
with a decent graphics card there's no reason for him to upgrade the CPU as the graphics card will do all the work when playing back Blu-ray, I have a few friends running on old P4's who have just got a cheap decent graphics card and it plays everything they want

with a decent graphics card there's no reason for him to upgrade the CPU as the graphics card will do all the work when playing back Blu-ray, I have a few friends running on old P4's who have just got a cheap decent graphics card and it plays everything they want

Then it must just be my huge monitor. Running an AMD 3400+ or so, 30" monitor(not a TV) and an 8800GT 512MB and using Showtime I really can't do much else when watching a BD.

Same here, just an old P4 and with my 3650 I played all the BD I want all day long without any problem.

Then it must just be my huge monitor. Running an AMD 3400+ or so, 30" monitor(not a TV) and an 8800GT 512MB and using Showtime I really can't do much else when watching a BD.

Monitor has nothing to do with it, try using PowerDVD instead of Showtime, showtime is awful at offloading onto the GPU

Thanks for Read Speed Replies

Seems quite slow, as I get DOUBLE that, although speed can vary based on drive access techniques (eg CAV, etc.). Best to use a time for ripping a specific size movie. I have the LG GGC-H20L and I can rip a ~19GB BD at ~24 minutes, using CloneCD ISO mode to SATA2 drive (WinXP Pro SP3, XFX 680i LT SLI, E4500 2.2GHz Core2Duo o/c @ 2.7GHz, 2GB PC-6400 ram) maximum 17MB/sec., average 13.4MB/sec. with AnyDvd HD 6.4.3.8 enabled as a test. I don't normally rip with AnyDvd enabled to make sure I don't get caught with problems, as recommended by SamuriHL - good advice, given the recent crop of titles that cannot be handled when they first came out.

There is no reason that I know of why anyone would be ripping to folders anymore, nor creating ISO's with AnyDvd enabled (after letting it "see" the disc to update the key).

@HLKC - time to upgrade your processor to Core2Duo or Quad - those old P4 systems just don't cut it anymore. I believe I said that already in another thread - with that kicka*s A/V system you have you shouldn't cheap out on the guts of your HTPC.... ;)

Thanks for the read speed replies hlkc and profcolli. I wanted to see where my drive placed in comparison with everybody else. :)

Monitor has nothing to do with it, try using PowerDVD instead of Showtime, showtime is awful at offloading onto the GPU

PDVD is much better, unfortunately it doesn't work for BDs in folders. :(

I guess iso FTW.

your correct, but there are tutorials on here to tell you how to convert your folder rips to ISO if you need it just check under the frequently asked questions or SamuriHL's signature

Hi profcolli,

Thanks for the compliment. Here is the deal, unfortunately my MB won't support Core2Duo since it is also an old MB :p Few months ago, I had SO many problems with this game and I took SamuriHL's advice and did a clean OS install to Vista. Once I did that I have been trouble free and having so much fun with this PC therefore I was kind of lazy to build another one. My father taught me something like that, Son "if something is working, just leave it alone and don't touch it" On the other hand, I think the latest GPU helps a lot by unloading all the graphic processing load to there in order to leave this old P4 only running less than 40% when playing BD. On the other hand, I've Core2Duo on another PC, yes, it is faster when I surf web and doing multi-tasking applications. But again with this old P4 PC, I just simply won't see the different when I JUST use this as my Media Center PC to play the back up BD and Imgburn it is as fast as the other one therefore I feel I just don't need another faster PC for this purpose only. The bottom line is with an old P4 if you do it right and if you just use it for playing back up BD, it is perfectly fine. I guarantee that!

My plan is as soon as the ATI 4XXX release, I plan to get that and try that and hope it will give me a better sound such as using LPCM 8 channels first. Then when the Asus HDMI1.3 sound card release, I plan to upgrade that and see that it will do both, 8 channels LPCM and bit-stream. So with the sound card and special TMT build, I hope I will able to do bit-stream and complete this system at that time. Yes, I plan to build another HTPC but I want to wait and see how the Intel G45 MB plays out before I do that.

Last, I just watch Bucket List last night and I never ever heard that such as realistic voice, from Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman, and it is truly amazing with just 2 channels PCM and can't wait to do 8 channels LPCM or bit-stream in the near future!

Last edited:
Hi profcolli,

Thanks for the compliment. Here is the deal, unfortunately my MB won't support Core2Duo since it is also an old MB :p Few months ago, I had SO many problems with this game and I took SamuriHL's advice and did a clean OS install to Vista. Once I did that I have been trouble free and having so much fun with this PC therefore I was kind of lazy to build another one. My father taught me something like that, Son "if something is working, just leave it alone and don't touch it" On the other hand, I think the latest GPU helps a lot by unloading all the graphic processing load to there in order to leave this old P4 only running less than 40% when playing BD. On the other hand, I've Core2Duo on another PC, yes, it is faster when I surf web and doing multi-tasking applications. But again with this old P4 PC, I just simply won't see the different when I JUST use this as my Media Center PC to play the back up BD and Imgburn it is as fast as the other one therefore I feel I just don't need another faster PC for this purpose only. The bottom line is with an old P4 if you do it right and if you just use it for playing back up BD, it is perfectly fine. I guarantee that!

My plan is as soon as the ATI 4XXX release, I plan to get that and try that and hope it will give me a better sound such as using LPCM 8 channels first. Then when the Asus HDMI1.3 sound card release, I plan to upgrade that and see that it will do both, 8 channels LPCM and bit-stream. So with the sound card and special TMT build, I hope I will able to do bit-stream and complete this system at that time. Yes, I plan to build another HTPC but I want to wait and see how the Intel G45 MB plays out before I do that.

Last, I just watch Bucket List last night and I never ever heard that such as realistic voice, from Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman, and it is truly amazing with just 2 channels PCM and can't wait to do 8 channels LPCM or bit-stream in the near future!
The original post was about ripping speed, not playback ;) Of course, your system is fine for playing BD, and if you have time to spare then ripping is not a problem either. However, you could easily rip at twice the speed (half the time) with an updated M/B and CPU. Depends what is more important to you. You could get both M/B and E8400 for ~$250, which is probably less cost than one of your speakers.... :rock:

On Father's Day, you should of course take his advice - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I've tried ripping on my old p4 3.4 and on a few different C2Duo and C2Quad and Xeon systems and the cpu makes no difference to the ripping speed, as long as the drive is connected to a decent controller I get no speed difference using Intel, Asus and Giga-byte boards

I've tried ripping on my old p4 3.4 and on a few different C2Duo and C2Quad and Xeon systems and the cpu makes no difference to the ripping speed, as long as the drive is connected to a decent controller I get no speed difference using Intel, Asus and Giga-byte boards

now that helps cuz i have an old p4 3.4 and a new c2duo. ive only been ripping on the c2duo. its good to know there isnt a big diff between intel, asus and giga-byte boards

now that helps cuz i have an old p4 3.4 and a new c2duo. ive only been ripping on the c2duo. its good to know there isnt a big diff between intel, asus and giga-byte boards

Yup, same here, I don't see any different with my old P4 and C2duo for Imgburn and PDVD an ISO. But is is different when you have few applications open especially with some heavy one.

Yup, same here, I don't see any different with my old P4 and C2duo for Imgburn and PDVD an ISO. But is is different when you have few applications open especially with some heavy one.
The original poster wanted to know if a maximum read (rip) speed of ~8.5MB/s was ok. For those who replied that they get around that same speed, this does not make it "ok" whether with a P4 or a C2Duo.

My earlier post demonstrated that I get a maximum of TWICE that speed (and an average of 50% better), so something is holding you guys back somewhere. I won't dispute that a P4 may be fine for you, but any system overall is going to be bottlenecked eventually by an outdated MB and CPU. ;)

IMHO it is still best to look at how long it takes to create an ISO to evaluate your system performance.

Last edited:
And like I said I've tried using various boards and they all give the same speed no matter the cpu, so upgrading his cpu will give no benefit. I've got an old P4 on an Intel 875 board and I get the same speed from that as I do from The Latest asus, giga-byte and Intel boards, and even on Supermicro or HP dual xeon 3ghz core 2 quad systems (I'm a system builder so have access to lots of different systems) and it seems to make no difference whether I set the boards up as standard contollers or AHCI (although on some boards the drives are not recognised in AHCI mode). Also in your original post you said he needed to upgrade his CPU and that is not the case. I never stated how fast my ripping was and I find that it can depend on the disc and the Blu-ray player. I've tried 5 different LG drives using the same disc on 1 of each system and found that ripping speeds vary from an average of around 8-12 with peaking at much higher, and different discs give different speeds as well some coming out much lower

what model drive gives what speeds?

i wonder what brand and model drive everybody is using with the speeds they are getting?

Oh, I see this has already been discussed. I kinda thought this would be in the hardware section, but, ok, anyway...

http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?p=126201#post126201

I have the same drive as the OP and getting the same results. Without a doubt this drive is riplocked. What I'd like to see is if someone has removed the riplock and/or knows where I can get the firmware for this drive so I can try MSCE on it myself to see if it's supported.

Incidentally, those suffering with the LG drives, DLaD and I have removed the riplock on our drives using MSCE and are getting about 20mbps ripping speeds now. ;) So, do yourself a favor, grab the latest firmware (1.03 I believe at the time of writing) and hack it up with MSCE to remove the riplock. You'll be thankful you did.

Back