• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Re: Compressing .m2ts movie file ?

boyzo

Ok I ripped Pat Metheny "The Way Up" Blu ray fine with AnyDVD HD and TsRemux
burnt to a DB-RE it fitted the main movie file is only ~18Gig

When I rip Clint Eastwood "Magnum" the .m2ts file is to big for a single layer
BD-R :(

How to compress the .m2ts file

Thanks Guys I know I am in the right place

(using the LG GGW-H20L)

How to compress the .m2ts file
Using a BDMV authoring software but according to what I have heard the result is not satisfactory. A real solution for BDs as CloneDVD for DVDs is still missing.
Thanks Guys I know I am in the right place
Actually you're not. This is the AnyDVD HD forum which has nothing to do with recompressing video material.

You don't want to compress the M2TS files.

That would bring down the quality or bitrate of the movie, as a general rule try to stay with a bitrate the same as the source or a bitrate higher than the source.

Try using these tools to DOWNSIZE your video and NOT re-encode your movie.

1. ripper of your choice
2. BDinfo
3. TSMUXER
4. Imgburn

Put your movie only on a BD-R disk (25gb) if it won't fit after DOWNSIZING than put on BD-9 disks (quantity as needed)

90% plus of all Blu-ray movie only, after proper DOWNSIZING will fit on a BD-R disk. (mpeg or AVC)
:agree:

Last edited by a moderator:
Using a BDMV authoring software but according to what I have heard the result is not satisfactory. A real solution for BDs as CloneDVD for DVDs is still missing.

BDMV .. example please

Actually you're not. This is the AnyDVD HD forum which has nothing to do with recompressing video material.

Ok point taken

Blu Ray downsizing

That would bring down the quality or bitrate of the movie, as a general rule try to stay with a bitrate the same as the source or a bitrate higher than the source.

Try using these tools to DOWNSIZE your video and NOT re-encode your movie.

1. ripper of your choice
2. BDinfo
3. TSMUXER
4. Imgburn

Put your movie only on a BD-R disk (25gb) if it won't fit after DOWNSIZING than put on BD-9 disks (quantity as needed)

90% plus of all Blu-ray movie only, after proper DOWNSIZING will fit on a BD-R disk. (mpeg or AVC)
Can you explain DOwnsizing I hve gone thru' steps 1 to 4
Magnum is ~28G 1 m2ts file and 1 sound track

@Boyzo

Downsizing is the job of TSMUXER

TSMUXER takes any audio and subtitles, or any part of the source disk you don't want in your back-up and removes them, thus DOWNSIZING the source disk.

DOWNSIZING does not change the bitrate of your backup disk, just removes parts you don't want.

RE-ENCODING changes the bitrate to fit on a blank BD-5, BD-9, BD-R, BD-RE disk, but your compressing the video into a smaller disk space, thus the quality of the picture is downgraded.

On standard def DVD-5 blank disk an allowable compression (re-encoding) of 5 to 10% and the picture quality should not suffer.

I try NOT TO re-encode any hi def Blu-ray disk just downsizing to keep picture quality same as the source disk. Usually commerical Blu-ray source disk

If you dowsized your movie as much as possible and it is still 28gb, then I would put the main movie on two blank disks, maybe one BD-R (25gb) and one BD-5 (4.7gb)

@Boyzo

TSMUXER takes any audio and subtitles, or any part of the source disk you don't want in your back-up and removes them, thus DOWNSIZING the source disk.

DOWNSIZING does not change the bitrate of your backup disk, just removes parts you don't want.

RE-ENCODING changes the bitrate to fit on a blank BD-5, BD-9, BD-R, BD-RE disk, but your compressing the video into a smaller disk space, thus the quality of the picture is downgraded.

On standard def DVD-5 blank disk an allowable compression (re-encoding) of 5 to 10% and the picture quality should not suffer.

I try NOT TO re-encode any hi def Blu-ray disk just downsizing to keep picture quality same as the source disk. Usually commerical Blu-ray source disk

If you dowsized your movie as much as possible and it is still 28gb, then I would put the main movie on two blank disks, maybe one BD-R (25gb) and one BD-5 (4.7gb)

Ye I strip the movie down with Tsmuxer .. understand

Ok so that means a split to fit on 2 BD-R (25Gig)

I wish there was a DVDshrink for BluRay movies ... its so easy with DVD movies
Sigh !!! :)

If you don't mind quality lost in compression than making mkv or avchd is an option. I normally use MediaCoder for compression, mkvmerge to make mkv for PC or tsmuxer to make avchd(bluray) and fit in one DVD for PS3 playback. Quality is good enough for me in normal watching distance. Much better than good old DVD.

Found this tool that splits Bluray to muliple DVD. Worth a look but I have not tried it as I don't want to change disc in a movie. I rather watch my movie with PC in 1 piece.

http://www.dvd-cloner.com/blu-ray-to-dvd/

If you don't mind quality lost in compression than making mkv or avchd is an option. I normally use MediaCoder for compression, mkvmerge to make mkv for PC or tsmuxer to make avchd(bluray) and fit in one DVD for PS3 playback. Quality is good enough for me in normal watching distance. Much better than good old DVD.

Found this tool that splits Bluray to muliple DVD. Worth a look but I have not tried it as I don't want to change disc in a movie. I rather watch my movie with PC in 1 piece.

http://www.dvd-cloner.com/blu-ray-to-dvd/
If you'd read around on here you'd know that that software is rubbish and doesn't work

@Boyzo

There is no such thing as a BD-9 or A BD-5....
it's BD-25 (25 GB) or BD-50 (50 GB) OR DVD-4 (4GB) DVD-5 (5GB)DVD-9 (9GB) There Rounded off figures Not exact measurements of space on the discs..

gets really tiresome reading people talking about Blu-Rays like there DVDS there entirely different beasts....yes you can break Blu_ray files Down to DVDs but there then DVDs the disc type don't change just cause your burring HD media on it.

Starz

There is no such thing as a BD-9 or A BD-5....
it's BD-25 (25 GB) or BD-50 (50 GB) OR DVD-4 (4GB) DVD-5 (5GB)DVD-9 (9GB) There Rounded off figures Not exact measurements of space on the discs..

gets really tiresome reading people talking about Blu-Rays like there DVDS there entirely different beasts....yes you can break Blu_ray files Down to DVDs but there then DVDs the disc type don't change just cause your burring HD media on it.

Starz

Somehow I think we all need to agree to working definitions of terms.

Downsizing is size reduction. Most often with files refers to either* compression or removal of some data. So which is it for the forums - removing streams to make a smaller file or further compression (recompression)? If one downsized a photo file it nearly always means compression (and usually in another graphic format such as Tiff to jpg).

I believe BD-5 means using simply blu ray disc structure on a 4.7G DVD Disc. I have seen this referenced by many in different places and most can figure its not technically a blu ray "disc" just the structure. So which is it, no BD-5 term to be used or BD-5 to mean blu ray structure on a 4.7g DVD disc?

If one wants to "downsize" a M2TS they can use Ripbot. I don't recommend it but it works and lots of people like the results. Often VC-1 files "converted" to H.264 for PS3 playback. Again need working definitions here.

Btw you might even be technically correct (or not) but as I have found out its about common usage. I know what people mean when they say BD-5 and BD-9 and I agree with you that its not a blu ray disc and they agree too but its an easy way to express blu ray structure on a DVD.

- Phrehdd

I second what Phrehdd has said.

If you have been around DVD forums for a number of years this is the standard for working with DVD-5 and BD-5 blank media disks.

DVD-5 and BD-5 are 4.7gb disks in physical size meaning you can put 4.7gb of material on the disk, ANY TYPE OF MATERIAL.

standard defination DVD-5 usually has VOB files and other standard defination files to make up a VIDEO TS folder for playing standard def disks.

hi defination BD-5 means it has a Blu-ray structure built on it

EXAMPLE
DVD-5 standard def files (4.7gb capacity)
BD-5 hi def Blu-ray files (4.7gb capacity)

DVD-9 standard def files (8.5gb capacity)
BD-9 hi def Blu-ray files (8.5gb capacity)

DVD10 is a dual sided single layer disk
DVD18 is a dual sided dual layer disk

Blu-ray disks are called Blu-ray disk because they come in 25 and 50 gb size, but that does not mean you can't put standard defination material on the disk.

gets really tiresome reading people talking about Blu-Rays like there DVDS there entirely different beasts

what I get tired of is people posting about compressing blu-ray films to sd dvd. If you want to do this why not just by the dvd version in the first place!

Also people too stupid to understand it is BLU-ray, not BLUE-ray. God they don't even know what they've got!

what I get tired of is people posting about compressing blu-ray films to sd dvd. If you want to do this why not just by the dvd version in the first place!

I have 1 BD player which is my computer and I also have numerous SD DVD standalone players. I want to enjoy the movie in BDs and also play them on my SD DVD players. I buy a BD and then make an SD DVD backup. Doing it the other way around where you buy an SD DVD release make a BD backup of the original SD DVD would make no sense while making an SD DVD backup of a BD does make sense. You may get tired of it but it's a valid topic for people to post about if they have questions.

Also people too stupid to understand it is BLU-ray, not BLUE-ray. God they don't even know what they've got!

Blu or Blue. Who cares? The diode is blue. You know what they mean. Please remember the forum rules and not be needlessly insulting.

Last edited:
I have no need to reduce blu ray movies down and degrade the playback. I can play my M2TS files on a computer screen and on my large screen TV.

However, others might see the value of spending for 1 blu ray disc and then being able to play it, archive it. Convert for lesser players such as DVD player and even ipod type players. I doubt many would want to purchase blu ray and dvd of the same movie.

- Phrehdd

DrinkLyeAndDie - that is exactly what I want to do. I have a 3 year old who does a great job of wrecking DVD's. I want to buy a Blu-ray title to enjoy in high definition on the large TV in the lounge and be able to make a DVD version to play in the car, his playroom, etc.

So far I haven't been able to find a guide that is at a more advanced stage than "this might work". I have AnyDVD HD, Nero 9. I am quite prepared to read up on the other tools I might need like avisynth, bdinfo, tsremux, etc.

It would be create if you could point me in the right direction. So far I have ripped the BD to hard disk and would now like to take the main movie and convert it from 1080p to 576p (I think!) and extract the audio and store it all on a DVD5 that will play on a normal DVD player.

Thanks a lot for your patience.

Blu-ray to DVD: The Easy Way(tm)

-Using TSMuxer, open main movie (see my movie only guide for assistance on this step)
-Select video stream
-Select HD audio stream, click on it, and click extract core (dts or ac3) You MUST convert to dts or ac3 for this method to work
-Output a new m2ts file
-Use ConvertXToDVD (paid for product, use google) and open your new m2ts file to create a DVD

This method has a big drawback. It doesn't deal with subtitles at all. For that you'd have to extract the presentation graphics stream of your choice and then convert it to something that ConvertXToDVD knows about. (I have no idea what that is, I'll leave that up to you to research and figure out)

But this is the "High Definition Software" section. So, in my book, that makes his post ontopic. :)

Not to be too contrary, but I find that a rather uninformed statement. I can show you x264 compressed BD material that is considered as good as lossless. For instance, I recently compressed Wall-E, with an extremely high x264 Profile (CRF=16, subme 9, me tesa, etc). And the whole thing was still only 7G when done! Compression that high is unusual, of course (from a ~18G file), but x264 can really do wonders. It's what CCE used to be/is for DVD.

I believe BD-5 means using simply blu ray disc structure on a 4.7G DVD Disc. I have seen this referenced by many in different places and most can figure its not technically a blu ray "disc" just the structure. So which is it, no BD-5 term to be used or BD-5 to mean blu ray structure on a 4.7g DVD disc?
Yes, I've often seen it referred to as BD-5. And frankly, what's in a name? Folks mean a regular DVD, with a Blu-ray structure burnt on it (as UDF 2.5).

AVCHD on 'BD-9' is a very popular thing (not with me per se, but I see it pop up many times). For PS3 owners, for instance, a 'BD-9' certainly has the advantage over streaming, in that you can keep your HD Audio (!), instead of just AC3, and subtitles; so I can see part of its charm. Also, a DVD9 is about what? 50 cents? Whereas a good quality BD25 is still around 10 bucks.

Last edited:
Back