• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Question about CoreAVC?

JackCarver

Hello there,

by far i use the ffdshow video decoder in MPC-HC for playback Blu-Ray Movies but i found something new with google.

http://corecodec.com/products/coreavc

It says:
CoreAVC is known in the industry as being the standard for playback of high quality H.264 video. The new CoreAVC Decoder allows you to offload video decoding to any accelerated decoder that works with either NVIDIA CUDA or ATI with Microsoft's DirectX Video Acceleration (DXVA) interface for any Windows XP, Vista, or Windows 7 PC.

So is this CoreAVC a video decoder like ffdshow or even better than ffdshow video decoder for H.264 movies?
And can I use it with MPC-HC as external video decoder.

CoreAVC is a decent video decoder. Especially if you have an nVidia card. It'll use CUDA to decode video. Great if you want to feed something like madVR for rendering. However, if you have an nVidia card, LAV CUVID is a decoder that can handle more than just h.264. Personally in my configuration I use PDVD11 video decoder on my AMD machines, LAV CUVID video decoder on my nVidia machine, ffdshow raw video filter for subtitles, LAV Audio for audio, and LAV Splitter for splitting. I use madVR for my renderer except for DVD. It's very nice. :)

Oh as i can see CoreAVC is not for free, so that's no alternative. So LAV CUVID would be nice for GPU accelerated video decoding.
But on the other side. I have a Core I5 2500 system with a Geforce GTX 560 TI.
And Blu-Ray movies are absolute smooth with the combination LAVF splitter, LAV Audio, ffdshow video decoder and madvr.
Do u think that i would get any advantage using LAV CUVID instead of ffdshow video decoder?

I use HAM mode of the Cyberlink Video Decoder on my AMD machines because it offloads the video processing to the GPU, which in theory should be pretty good at it. ;) For my nVidia machine, LAV CUVID made it possible to even use madVR at all. Quality wise I doubt you'll see a difference. Although with interlaced content LAV CUVID has a few advantages I think. ffdshow seems to keep having bugs, as well, and they drive many people nuts thinking it's their configuration that's the problem. I'd say a lot of times it's misconfiguration that causes issues, but, quite a few times where it's a bug in ffdshow, as well. All I can say is try it, see what you think, and you can always switch back if you don't like it.

Thx i will try it tomorrow and test it before on my second PC and when everything goes fine then on my HTPC.
By the way thx a lot for ur help here in this forum i set up my MPC configuration with ur LAVF splitter thread and it works nice.
Cause for a VLC user and a HTPC newbie it's not easy to understand such things like splitters, decoders renderers but for now i understand much more.

It takes a little bit to get things configured right. That's why I'm a huge fan of what J River is doing with MC16. While it's not free, it's a really great player with library functionality. They have a new function called Red October that downloads and configures private copies of the best codecs for playback for you automagically. Currently that's ffdshow for decoders and LAV Splitter. That may change as better decoders become available. One of the great options is the ability to do an advanced config and override some of the auto config'd filters. It's pretty impressive, but, again, not free. Anyway, I'm glad you've got things working well.

Yes for Blu-Ray Playback everything works as i wanted to:D. What's very nice in my opinion is the possibility to set up lavf splitter that a movie plays automatically in ur language with forced subs in ur language.
That's very nice. Only thing what i got a little bit confused was that MPC shows not lavf splitter but lavf splitter source in the list when i play a movie but i think that's normal.
When i can use either ffdshow video decoder or lav cuvid in dvd playback instead of stupid Microsoft decoder then i'm happy:D

One thing i read that Nvidia can't decode mpeg2 in hardware. Is this right or is it possible to decode mpeg2 movies via Lav cuvid in hardware too?

Here is a nice article about Nvidia GTX 560 TI and high definition video:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/graphics/display/geforce-gtx-560-ti_5.html

and here u can read the following:

the new GeForce GTX 560 Ti doesn’t support hardware DivX/XviD and entropic decoding for MPEG2, but this is hardly a serious issue for 2011

So it seems DVD playback has to be done in software decoding if i'm right.

If your machine can't handle DVD mpeg2 decoding with 1% or less CPU utilization you're using the wrong machine! :D Yea, nothing to worry about.

THX samuriHL for ur hint with this incredible decoder!!!!!:D

I installed the latest nvidia drivers (i have now 24Hz in the 1080p menu too),latest LAV Filters and latest LAV CUVID and the movie Avatar (it's a Blu-Ray rip in mkv container) speeds up as hell:D
Yes it was smooth before too but no comparison to this i can really see how it speeded up in many scenes were very much details are showed and so.
Nev made really a very nice decoder:bowdown:

I did it like u said, LAV splitter, LAV CUVID decoder, LAV audio decoder and ffdshow raw video filter for subs in this arrangement in the external filters list.
Set everything as preferred and it works so nice with forced subs also.

U made my day man:D

Now i will test DVD playback

Last edited:
I'm glad I was able to help. Let me know if you run into any problems.

Ok i got DVD playback to work with ffdshow. Needed to set mpeg2 enabled and set the "decode DVD" button then it works. But not as it should be.
I ripped movie Tron Legacy on disk and started to play. Right at the beginning theres a scene where u see the Walt Disney logo. There something like a rocket or flare flies over this logo with a nice effect. This flare stutters like hell don't know why i used diffrent renderers, in the ffdshow video decoder menu the codecs libavcodec and libmpeg2 nothing better, then i tried another time this Microsoft DTV decoder and not ffdshow but not better. Then i tried VLC with this movie and everything works as it should be.

So in future i will use MPC with LAV splitter CUVID and madvr for Blu-Rays but for DVDs i use vlc as before. Got never probs in DVD playback with VLC and i'm not so good in codecs and so to look which setting in MPC causes this prob seems to be a MPC problem as i used diffrent video decoders and renderers without solving the problem. Or it's a LAVF splitter prob don't know.

Last edited:
For DVD I use lav splitter, lav cuvid, lav audio, ffdshow raw video filter, and evr rendered, madvr had a bug for DVD. It works fine for me. If I want to use madvr, I just rip the DVD to mkv.

Seems that I can't use Lavf CUVID in DVD playback as video decoder, don't know why. When a dvd is played then only ffdshow raw video shows up in filters list not CUVID, when i convert the DVD to mkv and play this mkv file then CUVID shows up in filters list as video decoder.
But when i play directly from the VIDEO_TS folder then it's only the ffdshow raw video decoder which is in the list.

Hm what's this for a navigator thing? But u have win 7 too do u? and for u it works.
Perhaps a new MPC-HC version would fix this prob. It's not so annoying cause i know that when i convert to mkv i can watch it with CUVID and from VIDEO_TS i use vlc.
Another question i have following progressive modes in Nvidia HDMI driver menu 1080p and 720p.
I have only one interlaced mode 1080i.

So for Blu-Ray it's clear i use 1080p but what would u use for DVD? 1080p, 1080i or 720p.
For now i use 720p (1280x720 resolution) with 50Hz and in vlc it works without probs but i don't know if this is the right mode

I'm not sure if it does or not. I haven't played a DVD on the machine I have LAV CUVID installed on. In order to navigate the DVD and do menus and stuff, they add the MS DVD Navigator in the chain. You won't see it explicitly called out in your filter chain, but, that's what MPC-HC is using. And it's very particular about what it'll connect to. madVR, for example, doesn't work with it except on XP. So, it's very likely that LAV CUVID is refusing the connection. When you convert to MKV as I do, it bypasses the DVD Navigator crap and allows a proper graph to be built.

I use custom resolutions on my nVidia machine. For DVD I also upscale it to 1080p using madVR. madVR also now has the ability to fix the color space depending on how your display is set up. Mine are both calibrated for HD so, madVR changes the color space for me. It works well.

Oh i saw that there's n new version of madvr out now. Btw are the per default settings of madvr or lavsplitter or lav cuvid appropriate for Blu-Ray Playback or are there to do any further settings that u will get a perfect output. In lavsplitter or cuvid there are not so many settings to do so i think they will be ok per default but madvr has a few settings too which i don't understand.

And i don't know where i can adjust the loudness in lav audio. The TV sound is very quiet when i playback a Blu-Ray via HDMI. I know that the sound is generated by the Nvidia Card but i don't find any settings of this soundchip. Are there any settings in LAV Audio to get the HDMI sound louder?

There's DRC settings. I turn that off. See if that works.

Back