• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Product idea: WTV file DRM removal?

kevbo

Hello...I was wondering if Slysoft has ever thought about looking into removing the DRM or encryption from Windows Media Center recorded TV files in the WTV file format?

There's new hardware coming out from a company called Silicon Dust that will allow me to finally "record" TV that's been digitally encrypted on US cable. This product is only being allowed to exist because it ties into Windows' DRM, and the resulting recorded files can only be played back on the machine that recorded them.

Software to remove this protection is certainly something I'd be interested in. I'm currently a Slysoft customer, and I was curious if you saw this as an opportunity.

The hardware I'm talking about is this:

http://www.silicondust.com/products/hdhomerun/prime/

It isn't out yet, but apparently will be soon.

I'm all for it, but keep in mind that this may be something that will take quite a bit of reverse engineering (i.e., time, money, knowledge, and hours) to do, which may not be worth Slysoft or anyone's elses time for something that not that many people use.

For now, I believe that most unencrypted television recordings on PC's (i.e., files) are done with component video capture. Even for cable/sat boxes that only have HDMI output, a HDMI to HD component converter (such as the HDFury) can be used to capture high definition content.

Don't get me wrong however, I am totally against all forms of DRM and copy protections that limit consumer's rights, and anything that removes it from anything is great to have in my book. ;)

Yeah, I know component is an option. In fact, my video card has component out, so I can even record it in a WTV, play it out the component, and capture it with a Hauppauge Colossus on the same machine...or just use the cable box. I was just hoping that getting it digitally might become an option when devices like this hit the market.

It is frustrating because I'd be using a computer I bought, with a capture card I bought, hooked up to a cable service I pay for, and I wouldn't be able to watch what I record wherever/whenever I want to.

Thanks for the reply...I was just curious if SlySoft had ever thought about something like this. Hard to imagine that Microsoft actually got these things locked down enough that they couldn't be broken, but I see your point that the market might just be too small. I am hopeful that with products like this new one, more people might want this...but I might be wrong.

Kevin

Can use change the recording option to output .ts (transport stream) files? You may want to download a trial of videoredo, changing the files to .ts files may remove the drm.

I don't think that will work...VideoRedo won't be able to open the file to read it because it is encrypted.

I am also a VideoRedo user, but I haven't yet updated to the H.264 version (as I haven't needed it yet).

I'm pretty sure that I read that VideoRedo can only work with unencrypted WTV files.

I'm pretty sure that I read that VideoRedo can only work with unencrypted WTV files.

I have VideoReDo H.264. It cannot handle encrypted WTV files. All you get is a lot of green with a thin line of purty, purty pixels across the top. It works fine with unencrypted WTS. This encryption is very annoying. I record from Comcast with an InfiniTV4. All HiDef channels, except basic network, are encrypted.

P.S. - Tunebite can't handle encrypted WTS either!

Brilliant idea

Great idea Kevin. Sadly for us, doesn't look like SlySoft is going to create a product to do it.

I exchanged several e-mails a couple of weeks ago with their tech support people. I spent 3 or 4 e-mails debating with them about whether the recordings were considered fair use or not. I'm still not sure they believe it is although there is no doubt in my mind.

So I'm not sure their reasoning for not working on a product is related to the size of the audience that wants it. Although I think if we had 200 people on here clamoring for it they might change their mind.

I've had my HDHomerun Prime for about 6 weeks and I love it. It's just crazy though. If my PC crashes, all my recordings are worthless.

Right now I'm using TuneBite to capture and record anything played in a WMC window. Which is not ideal but I don't have any other way of doing it at the moment. I don't have a component capture device and I don't have component out on my video card either. So right now for me it's TuneBite or nothing.

:(

Yeah, I've kept around some slightly older cards with component output, and have considered getting a Hauppauge component recording device...but it all seems silly. I suppose I'd use that for any recordings I wanted to keep longer.

I agree: this is all _totally_ fair use. I suspect Slysoft could be convinced of that as well, but there would have to be enough people asking for it.

As it is, since I'm a Time Warner customer, I'm hesitant to even invest in a HDHomerun Prime. I'd pretty much have to get an XBOX 360 to use as an extender (nice that _that_ is the only piece of hardware that can be one, eh?)

As a lifetime license subscriber to anydvd hd and a hdhomerun prime owner I would just like to add myself to the list of people who would really like to see slysoft provide a solution. You guys have the best product on the market for what you do and I'm sure you could add another. I think you'll soon be surprised how many people will be looking for this. Hit it out of the park and be first to market with a quality product like you have been in the past.

WTV archiving

Here here... I've been looking to do the same thing. I simply want to archive some shows that I've recorded with my tuner so that they don't take up so much space. I use MCEBuddy to do this automatically for all the network shows but the it doesn't work on protected content. It seams like the cable networks can simply add protection to whatever they want. As an avid, and loyal, AnyDVD HD user I'd like to suggest a similar program.

I am currently not a customer of SlySoft but would be immediately if the software could remove DRM from Windows Media Center recorded WTV files.

I have no way to archive the recordings I've paid for.

Please add this feature. There are a ton of people that are asking for this outside of this forum. Do a Google search and you will see.

MS can make a reasonable argument for protecting HBO, Showtime, and like channels, but WMC is protecting ALL HD programs, even those that are readily available, with no protection, on digital (non-HD) channels.

So, I can edit the commercials or excess recording time out of standard AMC programs, but not the AMC HD broadcasts.

I have free lifetime updates from Slysoft. I would be HAPPY to buy a NEW Slysoft application that would remove the WTV DRM, and renew updates annually.

Please, pretty please — with annual renewals even!?

I can get some HD channels that don't have DRM on WMC. So if all your HD channels have DRM it's probably because your cable company marked all the broadcasts that way. Typically the channels that you could get locally with an antenna should be DRM free even from your cable provider.

My issue is I like to save a few shows or sports games on occasion. Eventually when your computer needs to be replaced then you loose the saved videos since it's tied to that machine.

Yep, I think it definitely makes business sense for SlySoft to do it.

I know this thread is a little old but as a long time user of AnyDVD I'd love to see the ability to remove DRM from my recorded WMC7 .wtv files. I use a Ceton Infini4 TV tuner and TWC cable card. It seems TWC like to turn on "copy once" flags for any HD content channels. So I can not remove commercials or convert to .mp4. Really bites!!

I use Ceton InfiniTV USB, VideoReDo H264, and have Comcast Cable. I am able to remove DRM from all but the premium (HBO, etc) channels and AMCHD.

Back