• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Problems with BD-RE playback

tjbailey

Not wanting to start making $4 coasters, I decided to practice making B/U Blu-rays on re-writables. I use AnyDVD HD to rip to my HD and then ImgBurn to the BD-RE's if under 25g or I use BD-Rebuild in the middle if larger than 25g. Entire process is seamless except only 1 out of the 4 (different titles on different BD-RE's) that I have done so far will play on my Magnavox Blu-ray stand alone player. The other three return a message that states that the disk cannot be played. All four BD-RE's play just fine via my Blu-ray burner drive. Any ideas.

need a lot more information than that.
What brand of discs?
Which Movies?
is it only shrunk movies or any movie?
......?

I would verify that your standalone hardware Blu-ray player is capable of playing all types of homemade compliant Blu-ray structures built on all types of blank disks, such as BD-RE, BD-R (25gb and 50gb), BD-9, and BD-5, and NOT JUST the default of BD-ROM commercial disks.

I would run some UNCOMPRESSED testing of a compliant Blu-ray structure (BDMV FOLDER) on some BD-5 disks and see if they will play on your hardware Blu-ray player. Test software to use, and split Blu-ray structure by chapters, on a DVD-5 (BD-5) single layer 4.3gb blank disk.

AnyDVD HD
Clown_BD
Imgburn

ALSO, verify you have the LATEST FIRMWARE UPDATES on your hardware Blu-ray player
:agree:

Last edited by a moderator:
need a lot more information than that.
What brand of discs?
Which Movies?
is it only shrunk movies or any movie?
......?

DVD Player is a Magnavox NB500MG1F Firmware is not upgradable but unit was manufactured 9/09, guide definitely states BD-RE 25G disks are playable.

Sony BD-RE 25g Ver2.1/2X
"Phantom of the Opera"
Did not require compression
Copy plays great

Sony BD-RE 25g Ver2.1/2X
"Full Metal Jacket"
Did not require compression
Copy will not play

Memorex BD-RE 25 25g
"The Other Man"
Used BD Rebuild for compression
Copy will not play

Memorex BD-RE 25 25g
"Pelham 1-2-3
Used BD Rebuild for compression
Copy will not play

If you know any one else with a Blu-ray player try it in that, if it works in theirs then it's probably something to do with your player

I would also state the Memorex media is probably not the best choice. This could just come down to a case of bad media in general. (yes, it's possible for media from the same spindle to work/not work)

Just burned a Verbatim BD-R 25g and it worked great so it must be a media problem. Thanks to all for your advice.

Now I am ready to purchase some BD-R disks with the white printable face.

1. Is there a rating of BD media somewhere that I can access?

2. Anybody heard of Opticle Quantum disks?

Now I am ready to purchase some BD-R disks with the white printable face.

1. Is there a rating of BD media somewhere that I can access?

2. Anybody heard of Opticle Quantum disks?

Yes, I use their (OPTICLE QUANTUM) shiny top 25GB BD-R's with no burn or playback issues. I also use 5OGB DL BD-R's to burn any BD file over 23700GB. "O" compression at all times:disagree:....end result is true FULL 1080 HD. If I compress I might as well just keep the SD DVD...or am I making up a new class of resolution....MD Medium Definition:doh:....almost but not quite HD.:agree:

What are you talking about? You can easily compress discs to fit onto a SL BD-R with no loss of picture quality as a lot of the time the extra bitrate is not needed and is just useless padding. You do realise that the video is already compressed on a Blu-ray disc so it's not really 'True full HD' anyway as Blu-ray players can't play back uncompressed HD. Studios often encode the films at too high a bitrate because people seem to think that the higher the bitrate the better, but once you get beyond a certain point the high bitrate makes no difference as it just pads out to keep it high.

What am I talking about?:doh: Experience...mine. I have seen the end result 1st hand. I've done it. The end result is not the same.....compression to 25GB from a BD file as small as 30GB file just not my choice. My experience has been blocky pixelated picture or BD disc that plays in SD. Compression in these cases are not to HD/MKV which do produce an HD file with HD results. I prefer an automated set up and like sized BD media and I suggest this to others as I have seen the best end result using AnyDVD/HD and DVDFAB BD to BD. You prefer to tinker around maybe? i.e. freeware that's your choice. I get it done. Like for like media...is preferred ISO full HD, and tonite I did "Training Day" BD and to my surprise the entire disc w/mennu in ISO was a whopping 16+GB completed back up to 25GB BD-R (another 1st for me) in just under two hours on Pentium 4 w/3.2 GHZ processor w/HT technology 2GB RAM 1TB internal WD hard drive...no super computer by today's standard....just know how... I get it done.:agree:

Then you're using a bad encoder, BD rebuilder makes excellent discs with no blockyness to a BD-25 from a BD 50, especially if you make a movie only disc. These are not anywhere near SD ( if you get it looking like SD then you are doing something wrong)
I'm not sure why you're surprised that Training day was done so quick, as their appears to be no reason for compression all you are basically doing is a disc to disc copy which uses hardly any cpu as it's all dependant on the speed of your hard drives and your writer. You make comments about keeping the 'full HD' but Training day probably uses a lower bitrate than a conversion of a bigger film to fit SL BD-R, but you still rate it as 'full HD'
BD rebuilder is very easy to use and has presets on the output quality and the format, only tinkering is pretty much the same as DVDFab, except it's free

Yeah it takes too long for me:disagree:...I was surprised that a movie that runs over 90mins with 4 audio streams minus HD/audio or PCM and was so small. The movie even starts different with menu that isn't present on the initial play. The Hangover was surprisingly small small too around the same for just the main movie. I have tried different BD software both freeware and payware and so far my current combination is the best in my book...it works for me consistently. ISO gives you full disc and menus which concisely burn to BD media.

My experience has been with other software was menus look great...main title plays like crap and again it would take 8hrs for what? I tried BD RE-BUILDER & BD CLOWN along with their supporting softwares and others that make BD back up claims. My experience now with backing up BD is very similar to using AnyDVD & CloneDVD2 for SD/DVD. No real guess work . My available back up options are laid out and simple. Right now AnyDVD/HD and DVDFAB BD to BD are like book ends at least until Slysoft CloneBD comes out....but until then this combo will do.....adbear don't knock this until you've tried it....it's an above average experience and end result.:agree:

Why would I need to buy DVDfab, BD rebuilder is very simple to use (as it appears that DVD fab have just nicked it anyway) you have a few simple settings to choose from and it works every time and it's free. I have my encoding system set to use the same setting for every disc, if I have multiple discs already ripped to hard drive I can batch convert, all I have to do is choose the disc location, set the output location and hit start or if batch converting hit add to batch list then hit batch encode when they are all set to go.
I have tried DVDFab which is how I know I can do everything just as easily with free software that's not piggybacking off others work and charging for it.
If you found the main titles looked like crap then you didn't set it to BD-25 output. Even on the quick encode for BD-25 the quality is good

Hey when it's good..it cost. You want real time R&D (research and development) right?:agree: These software's are worth every penny. We all know Slysoft AnyDVD is the bar and there are but so many ways to achieve what they have done. And so far I don't know of a software that can match AnyDVD/ or HD, DVDFAB's BD to BD is the perfect compliment to AnyDVD/HD ripping and BD decrypting capabilities. CloneBD will not be free past 21days and I won't be surfing the net trying to circumvent activation. When Slysoft puts it out....I'm buying it ASAP!:agree:

But DVDfab does no real R & D, they just use others work from Doom9 which is constantly being updated, as I've already said many times before, why pay for it when the original free software is available and you can ask the original authors about problems rather than someone who has basically ripped them off and is charging for their work

That's politics that have nothing to do with bottom line in my book. Yeah they (DVDFAB FANTAGO) are a little sensitive about Slysofts achievements, but who cares. I just want a product that does what it advertises consistently in a timely manner.:)

Moved to third party as this thread really has NOTHING to do with AnyDVD at all.

That's not politics, it's plagiarism, using others work and selling it as your own, the free software does work otherwise it wouldn't work in DVDfab, it's very simple to use and you don't end up paying the wrong person for the work

Just politics.....How am I, or anyone else just looking for good functional software suppose to know that? Good Day everyone.:)

Back