• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Problem with "The Road" R3

jpmccusa

I'll start by saying that this is *SOLVED* but it represents a problem that I had with a previous Thai release and thought someone might be interested. The disc gets through 83% of "Analyzing" in DVDshrink when it freezes up and the program freezes, too. You have to open the tray to resume control. Ripping to hard Disc with AnyDVD stops at 3%, giving "FileIO 3VTS_02_1.VOB 69695488 86016".

Opening through DVDShrink by going directly to "Reauthor" and the disc drive shows two feature tracks, one exactly 30 minutes less one second longer than the other. By examining the details in VOBblanker, looking at the differences in chapter content and trying to view the extra chapters freezes things up again. Looking at the common chapters in the long version yields a good image in the preview.

To solve the problem of the extra chapters (there are 4), I made a backup from track 3, the shorter of the two features.

Someone may recall similar problems with the Thai release of Krabat a few months back. This disc, "The Road", is available in what is claimed to be R3 NTSC (it's really R0): http://www.ethaicd.com/show.php?pid=52029

I'm attaching a logfile. Hope this proves to be of interest.

Attachments

• AnyDVD_6.6.3.0_Info_F_THE_ROAD_PROTECT.zip
    83.6 KB · Views: 5
Is your AnyDVD log from the original or the back-up, because it doesn't show any protection on the disc. What happens if you use the "Rip video to harddisk" option in AnyDVD and have Shrink process the file from the rip. Is it correct?

Summary for drive F: (AnyDVD 6.6.3.0)
HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GSA-E60L 1.00 07/05/15 7U02
Drive (Hardware) Region: 1

Media is a DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 2 (opposite)
Size of first Layer: 1834272 sectors (3582 MBytes)
Total size: 3512014 sectors (6859 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: THE_ROAD_PROTECT
Media is not CSS protected.
Video Standard: NTSC
Media is region free.

AI scan forced, heuristic scan detected no protection!
Found & removed structural copy protection!
RCE protection not found.
Autorun not found on Video DVD.
Bad sector protection not found.
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 1!

Last edited:
It's from the original

It's from the original. Yes, I know it shows no protection but when this popped up last time, James suggested it was something new.

Rip to hard disk freezes up at 3% and gives the error message I specified in the original post.

I'll start by saying that this is *SOLVED* but it represents a problem that I had with a previous Thai release and thought someone might be interested. The disc gets through 83% of "Analyzing" in DVDshrink when it freezes up and the program freezes, too. You have to open the tray to resume control. Ripping to hard Disc with AnyDVD stops at 3%, giving "FileIO 3VTS_02_1.VOB 69695488 86016".

Opening through DVDShrink by going directly to "Reauthor" and the disc drive shows two feature tracks, one exactly 30 minutes less one second longer than the other. By examining the details in VOBblanker, looking at the differences in chapter content and trying to view the extra chapters freezes things up again. Looking at the common chapters in the long version yields a good image in the preview.

To solve the problem of the extra chapters (there are 4), I made a backup from track 3, the shorter of the two features.

Someone may recall similar problems with the Thai release of Krabat a few months back. This disc, "The Road", is available in what is claimed to be R3 NTSC (it's really R0): http://www.ethaicd.com/show.php?pid=52029

I'm attaching a logfile. Hope this proves to be of interest.
Does it work, if you force the AI scanner on?

OK, here's what happens

The Rip to Harddrive fails exactly as before, with the same error message. A scan with CDSpeed also stops at 3.7%, with no faults detected.

Opening in DVDshrink DOES work, but it doesn't shrink: there is a value of 6479 MB in the green/red thing along the top which usually adjusts the value so that you can fit onto a DVD5. The length of the feature is given correctly as 1:51:13.

I don't have any DL discs to work with so I don't know if it would make a suitable file for burning. I DO get a warning about the size.

Looking at the Reauthor tab, title 2, the longer version of the feature previously, is contained in the extras section with no length given, and 531 MB.

Attempting to make a backup of Title 3 only runs into the oversize problem of failing to shrink: its size is given as 6305.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
The Rip to Harddrive fails exactly as before, with the same error message. A scan with CDSpeed also stops at 3.7%, with no faults detected.

Opening in DVDshrink DOES work, but it doesn't shrink: there is a value of 6479 MB in the green/red thing along the top which usually adjusts the value so that you can fit onto a DVD5. The length of the feature is given correctly as 1:51:13.

I don't have any DL discs to work with so I don't know if it would make a suitable file for burning. I DO get a warning about the size.

Looking at the Reauthor tab, title 2, the longer version of the feature previously, is contained in the extras section with no length given, and 531 MB.

Attempting to make a backup of Title 3 only runs into the oversize problem of failing to shrink: its size is given as 6305.

Hope that helps.
You can use CloneDVD2 to check which of the titles actually fail (or to rip movie only). I'm pretty sure this will work.

Thanks!

I'd actually solved it to my own satisfaction but was wondering whether this represented a general problem that was worth your attention.

By the way...

I meant to mention that both discs have a strange feature --- when you examine the burn on the original, you can see two small rings where the disc wasn't laser-etched, if that's the word...the rings are very close together and towards the middle of the disc. Probably deliberate? I haven't noticed this on other discs but haven't looked for them, either, to any great extent.

I meant to mention that both discs have a strange feature --- when you examine the burn on the original, you can see two small rings where the disc wasn't laser-etched, if that's the word...the rings are very close together and towards the middle of the disc. Probably deliberate? I haven't noticed this on other discs but haven't looked for them, either, to any great extent.

Hmmmm. That almost sounds like what we were talking about in another thread. Deliberate manufacturing errors?

-W

Hmmmm. That almost sounds like what we were talking about in another thread. Deliberate manufacturing errors?

-W

It's a protection AnyDVD's heuristic doesn't detect. Forcing AI scanner on should resolve this problem. Further debugging would require the use of CloneDVD2, to check which part of the disc still creates a problem (if there is any).

OK... so for starters he forces the AI scanner and posts another log? Right?

-W

I can do that and will...

but I don't have CloneDVD2. I beat the problem with DVDshrink in an odd way, and it can also be dealt with with VOBblanker. However, using the forced AI scanner and DVDshrink in the usual fashion has a problem in that it doesn't actually shrink the file to fit on a DVD5, even if you do feature-only.

I'm in the middle of something else at the moment but will do the logfile in a bit.

Doing the CloneDVD test is for "extra credit". And (assuming you havn't used up the trial before) won't cost you anything to download it and do the test James asked anyway.
-W

Last edited:
Here's the promised logfile

Enjoy!

I'd long since used up the trial period, sorry!

Attachments

84.1 KB · Views: 1
Sorry, here you go

The log files with defaults (except for forcing aggressive I/O). "F" is the drive with the problem disc --- E contains a game.

Hope that helps!

Attachments

84 KB · Views: 1
  • AnyDVD_6.6.3.0_Info_E_No Label.zip
    10.5 KB · Views: 1
The log files with defaults (except for forcing aggressive I/O). "F" is the drive with the problem disc --- E contains a game.

Hope that helps!
Aggressive I/O is off in these logs. I'm curios, why do you want it to be on?

OOPS, my mistake

THESE are the ones with AI Scanner forced

Attachments

84 KB · Views: 0
  • AnyDVD_6.6.3.0_Info_E_No Label.zip
    10.5 KB · Views: 0
THESE are the ones with AI Scanner forced

It doesn't matter, AI scanner is always forced on if you create a log (doesn't make any sense otherwise).

It's a protection AnyDVD's heuristic doesn't detect. Forcing AI scanner on should resolve this problem.

Ya sorry James.. I was going by this.
But I did end my sentence in a ? mark becasue I was unsure. :)

-W

Back