• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

problem with Senna dvd

If a DVD has no structural protections at all - you can rip it to IMAGE using AnyDVD and tell it to ignore read errors as it goes along.
Then just burn that image.
This method has saved my ass twice with defective disks. :)

-W

Of course it plays...

So I may have my first deffective disc. However the title that won't copy plays on my DVD player. So wouldn't this be the ultimate copy protection?
Isn't this the goal of copy protection? Plays but won't copy

Of course it plays and there is nothing "ultimate" about this. That scenario is simply a fact and has nothing to do with protection.

so it accidentaly plays but won't copy.....I see

Euhm no you don't or you've failed to use the search. Standalone DVD players have error correcting technology in them (that allows them to [to a certain degree) display damaged parts [severe pixellation anyone?] or skip the parts completely. DVD-rom drives can't do that. If you RIP a disc (=READING, =/= playing), you can't do that. Rip's have to be bit-for-bit identical. If the drive encounters an spot it can't read, it errors out. Wether you like it or not, those are the facts. Take it or leave it.

Yes and...

Euhm no you don't or you've failed to use the search. Standalone DVD players have error correcting technology in them (that allows them to [to a certain degree) display damaged parts [severe pixellation anyone?] or skip the parts completely. DVD-rom drives can't do that. If you RIP a disc (=READING, =/= playing), you can't do that. Rip's have to be bit-for-bit identical. If the drive encounters an spot it can't read, it errors out. Wether you like it or not, those are the facts. Take it or leave it.

:agree:
Sort of the comparison I make between dumping a load of rocks off a truck and landing a plane at night in a snowstorm. Some people just don't seem to want to see the difference and that there really ARE bad discs that play just peachy.

there is only main movie and 1 special feature (an intyerview)
the disc will not copy full disc, but will copy with the interview unchecked.
I've tried 2 discs and 4 computers (as I stated before)
but doers play both on my dvd player.

I bought a small video rental store in dec. 2006
bought aprox 20 dvds per week since then, so aprox 5000 or more dvds, never once had a disc that would play but not copy, so am I skeptical of bad discs everytime one can't be copied, yes I am.
I once got a blu ray that had the wrong movie on it (old hulk movie when it was supposed to be the new one with ed norton) but that's it.

had scratched ones, yes. deffective brand new, never in over 5000 dvds

still, I do believe it's possible, but the annoying thing is when these posters on this forum say bad disc within 5 minutes of a problem being reported. look at the top of this thread and you'll see (as always) the first answer to my question about this dvd is it must be a bad disc. and I am willing to bet that most of the people posting on this thread don't even have this disc. if you did you's either report that yes, it fails at 80 percent, or no, you were able to back it up without problem.
someone said it was a year and a half old release, wrong again, in north america it is a 1 week old release.

if no one wants to solve a title, no problem, leave it unsolved
or maybe it's deffective, like thor, breaking dawn, all the transformers....ect all deffective, but magically worked with an anydvd update.

there is only main movie and 1 special feature (an intyerview)
the disc will not copy full disc, but will copy with the interview unchecked.
I've tried 2 discs and 4 computers (as I stated before)
but doers play both on my dvd player.
Does it play from the drive where you want to copy?
The error could also reside in a menu for a differrent language.

if no one wants to solve a title, no problem, leave it unsolved
or maybe it's deffective, like thor, breaking dawn, all the transformers....ect all deffective, but magically worked with an anydvd update.

I don't care what others post, and you are right, a lot are very fast in saying "bad disc".
I am not. On the contrary. (ask Frank)

I do believe it's possible, but the annoying thing is when these posters on this forum say bad disc within 5 minutes of a problem being reported. look at the top of this thread and you'll see (as always) the first answer to my question about this dvd is it must be a bad disc.

AGAIN - 99% of the problems we see here are indeed bad disks.
And most "bad" disks play just fine - they just won't copy bit for bit.

For a disk to be "defective" it's by definition brand new - or else it would be a "damaged" disk instead.
(both types usually play OK too!)

And smart posters here never speak in absolutes; They use words like "usually" and "most likely" etc etc.

And when you're the first one to show up with a given title - it makes it harder to call it one way or the other.
Therefore it's still "most likely bad" until proven otherwise.

-W

Last edited:

Nothing strange there.
Most all defective or damaged disks play just fine.
Did you bother to read the "playing vs reading" link that was provided for you?

-W

I did read it, and do understand it
99 % of problems you see are bad discs????
what?? so far this and last year since I've been reading this forum to try and solve bproblems, 100% have been copy protection, where did this 99% bad discs come in?

the title that won't copy does play on the computer drive

well then you havent been reading very good lately. Cause the ones, me, frank, peer, adbear, ... reponded too with read errors were exactly that. OP posted back after a disc exchange and bam, the new disc worked. Confirming what we said from the start, a bad disc.

Blame Canada!

I'm going to assume that the OP obviously has the Canadian version because he mentioned it only has 1 extra (the Interviews). They might even be different interviews, though not very likely.

For the US version that I have, the Interviews extra is 56:51. The other extras are: Senna Family Home Videos, the movie's trailer, and a commentary track.

There are also 5.1 English and 2.0 English (not mentioned on box) audio tracks.

It would be extremely bizarre for there to be a new protection on the Canadian version, but not the US one, although I suppose anything is possible. :confused:

EDIT: When I look at the DVD Shrink window, I see the Interviews listed as Extras, but I can't find where the Senna Family Home Videos and the movie's trailer are located; even though they do appear on the Special Features menu on my backup, and they do play on my DVD player when I select them from my backup.

Last edited:
well then you havent been reading very good lately. Cause the ones, me, frank, peer, adbear, ... reponded too with read errors were exactly that. OP posted back after a disc exchange and bam, the new disc worked. Confirming what we said from the start, a bad disc.

true, I don't read all the threads, just the ones that pertain to a disc I'm having trouble with. so perhaps there have been lots and lots of deffective discs, but on titles that I had no issue with

I'm going to assume that the OP obviously has the Canadian version because he mentioned it only has 1 extra (the Interviews). They might even be different interviews, though not very likely.

For the US version that I have, the Interviews extra is 56:51. The other extras are: Senna Family Home Videos, the movie's trailer, and a commentary track.

There are also 5.1 English and 2.0 English (not mentioned on box) audio tracks.

It would be extremely bizarre for there to be a new protection on the Canadian version, but not the US one, although I suppose anything is possible. :confused:

Canadian version has only 1 extra, and has french subtitles, so it is a different disc. but the 2 discs I did try were from opposite ends of the city, still could be a deffect in the disc(s), I just find it bizzare.

but the 2 discs I did try were from opposite ends of the city, still could be a deffect in the disc(s).

That's not the point. They could come from 2 different cities, if the discs come from the same batch of pressed discs, all of em (not just your 2) will have the SAME defect in the exact SAME spot.

I did read it, and do understand it
99 % of problems you see are bad discs????
what?? so far this and last year since I've been reading this forum to try and solve problems, 100% have been copy protection, where did this 99% bad discs come in?

That's because you only read the forum to solve your problems.
Were you to take an interest in others problems, you'd see the 9x% bear out over time.

I've been on this forum since the week it opened, and both here and in my own large experience - the 9x% bears true.

-W

Back