• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

problem with playback of dvd+rw help!!!

gary79

I cannot get my dvd+rw's to play in my dvd players, an old Apex unit, that used to play anything & everything, and a brand new Sony upconverter,dvp ns710h. I use anydvd and dvd shrink to make the dvd+rw's. the burner is an I/O Magic w/lightscribe mounted in my PC. the dvd+rw's will play the preview portion(coming attractions) and then when the actual movie starts it will just freeze shortly after it starts. when I play the same dvd+rw in my PC the dvd+rw will play just fine. what the heck is going on here. do I need a different burner, or is lightscribe not compatible with something. TIA

I cannot get my dvd+rw's to play in my dvd players, an old Apex unit, that used to play anything & everything, and a brand new Sony upconverter,dvp ns710h. I use anydvd and dvd shrink to make the dvd+rw's. the burner is an I/O Magic w/lightscribe mounted in my PC. the dvd+rw's will play the preview portion(coming attractions) and then when the actual movie starts it will just freeze shortly after it starts. when I play the same dvd+rw in my PC the dvd+rw will play just fine. what the heck is going on here. do I need a different burner, or is lightscribe not compatible with something. TIA

Likely caused by an incompatibility between your media and players. Are you truly using DVD +RW or DVD +R? For best results you probably need to book-type the discs to dvd-rom. Are you doing that? Is your burner capable of it? What type of media are you using and at what burn speed?

Could use a lot more info. Might read through this thread from the AnyDVD section, Frequently Asked Questions (READ BEFORE YOU POST) #11) http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=3635

Last edited:
I have 2 old APEX AD-1500s. One has been modded to be region-free and the other hasn't. Both, as they've grown older, are more and more extremely picky about playing DVD+RW media. Sometimes it plays beautifuly and other times it won't. I advise using good quality DVD+R blanks booktyped to DVD-ROM.

Refer here for the recommended blank media brands/types: http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=549

If you meant to say that you are using DVD+R blanks then you may have bad burns or something else going on. AnyDVD doesn't burn so it isn't an AnyDVD issue. DVD Shrink doesn't burn but it can use ImgBurn or Nero. Burn issues when using those programs are best handled in the official forums of those programs.

I am using HP dvd+r. I know it is not a anydvd problem because it does play on my PC. if it was a decoder or decrypter problem it would not do that, and I seriously doubt that I got 3 bad discs in a row, so i doubt a bad media problem. in fact, I have not been able to play a dvd+r in a dvd player for about 6 months or so, since I changed the burner to the I/O Magic lightscribe dvd/cd burner. not sure of burn speed because Nero does the burning when dvd shrink is done.

how do you book type the discs?? never heard of that.

Commercially sold DVD movies are DVD-ROM. DVD+R media can be set to appear as DVD-ROM which makes the media more compatible to standalone players. A DVD+R disc booktyped to DVD-ROM is just like a commercial disc in the eyes of the standalone DVD player.

I believe that Nero can be used to set the burn to DVD-ROM but it's been so long since I used the software that I'm not sure how.

You definitely want to see if you can figure out what the burn speed is. Bad burns can lead to sporadic issues. One player might play a disc but then another doesn't.

tried using dvd-r, and nero sets the book type to dvd-rom, still doesn't work. so I stlll don't have a clue as to why dvdr's play in my PC, but not any of my players. when i put them in my player, it plays thru the previews fine, but when the movie starts, it will play the same scene over and over.....

I happened to be checking out a new PC, a Compaq CQ5110 on sale at Staples and I was researching it on line, and the SuperMulti DVD drive it comes will not copy commercial dvds according to the product literature or details concerning the drive. never heard of that before.

any more ideas?????

Back