• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

PowerDVD and UHD Folder Playback

DrXenos

Anyone else running Windows 11 on an i9 and are able to watch decrypted UHD folders with PowerDVD?

I have PowerDVD 20 & 22 and they play UHD folders fine on my old laptop. I am trying to get them to work on my new rig. They play Blu-ray folders fine, but the player will crash (the dreaded unspecified error code, 0x80004005) back to the GUI when trying to play UHD folders.

Is it the SGX issue? I know an i9 doesn't have SGX, but while my old processor does, the motherboard didn't support it and I was still able to play decrypted media.

I tried everything to figure out the issue. I've reinstalled so many times (both Windows Security and UAC disabled), checked the Event Viewer, ran sxstrace, check the registry setting, checked PowerDVD's own log files.

I'd submit a ticket with CyberLink, but I figure they'd just tell me they don't support UHD playback anymore.

My new rig also has a Radeon, while my laptop has an NVidia. Don't know if that could be an issue...

Any suggestions?

I'm afraid you are correct ... Cyberlink lists Intels 7th to 10th generation CPUs (With SGX) as a minimum requirement for playing UHD BluRays ... for PDVD 20
Code:
https://www.cyberlink.com/support-center/faq/content?id=24938
So with 11th Gen and higher Intel or even AMD you're out of luck ... :(

In the minimum requirements of PDVD22 UHD BluRay playback isn't even listed.
Code:
https://www.cyberlink.com/support-center/faq/content?id=26920

I'm not sure about the correct way to do, but can't you decrypt those folders using AnyDVD?

That's my point. They are decrypted. They play fine on my old machine, but not the new one. My old machine didn't support SGX (outside the processor) either. I have the older version of 22 installed that still has 4K support in it.

Sorry, I must have misread that ... Let me check on my machine, I'll just need to get my hands on that PowerDVD Version... never used it before.

No problem. Thanks for trying to help.

Meh ... If I had read about that SGX stuff earlier ... I would have build that HTPC with an older generation CPU.
Oh well, playing normal video files should be possible, right?
And now PDVD 20 tells me my Display Device isn't cabable of HDR.
Well, Plex does play in HDR on the same machine, go figure :rolleyes:
Good thing I didn't pay more than 10 bucks on PowerDVD.

Sorry to abuse your thread for my whining, won't happen again...

If anyone is curious, this is the error I get. It's raised by "PowerDVDMovie.exe". After clicking cancel, PowerDVD drops back to the main GUI screen.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 7
Meh ... If I had read about that SGX stuff earlier ... I would have build that HTPC with an older generation CPU.
Oh well, playing normal video files should be possible, right?
And now PDVD 20 tells me my Display Device isn't cabable of HDR.
Well, Plex does play in HDR on the same machine, go figure :rolleyes:
Good thing I didn't pay more than 10 bucks on PowerDVD.

Sorry to abuse your thread for my whining, won't happen again...

Whine away! I don't mind. Yes, I can play anything except UHDs. Version 20 & 22 act identical in this manner.

Edit:
I've tried turning HDR on/off, hardware acceleration on/off, to no avail.

Ok, so I tried on my Main machine ... and I have to admit, there are no issues playing UHD folders.
But other than you I only have a 12th gen i7, Windows 10 and an Nvidia GPU ...
I would rule out the CPU as we both miss the SGX capabilities.
According to task manager the GPU is also involved in decoding, and since in my first link there are no AMD Graphics solutions listet (at least not in section "4K Ultra HD Video with Hardware Acceleration", that might be your issue, but I'm mostly guessing here.

What about MKVs created from MakeMKV? Do those play?

Ok, so I tried on my Main machine ... and I have to admit, there are no issues playing UHD folders.
But other than you I only have a 12th gen i7, Windows 10 and an Nvidia GPU ...
I would rule out the CPU as we both miss the SGX capabilities.
According to task manager the GPU is also involved in decoding, and since in my first link there are no AMD Graphics solutions listet (at least not in section "4K Ultra HD Video with Hardware Acceleration", that might be your issue, but I'm mostly guessing here.

What about MKVs created from MakeMKV? Do those play?

Thanks for checking. Yeah, everything will play but UHDs. Maybe I'll buy an Nvidia when the prices come down. I bought a Radeon because it was 1/2 the price of the latest Nvidia and I've always had good luck with them.

Back