• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

PowerDVD 8 blue screens when playing a blu-ray

Hi,

I just got a new system with a GTX 460 and an LG Bluray combo drive with PowerDVD 8 bundled with it, and ran into this problem. At first I was afraid it was my system, now I'm somewhat relieved to find it's "only" a smallish software or driver compatibility issue.

I have submitted tech reports to both Cyberlink and nVidia about this.

Anyone made any headway on this, besides using a trial version of other software in the meantime while we wait for an update?

Hey guys, I have a workaround for all of you.

FYI, I'm running Win7 x64 and I have the GTX 480 GPU installed (258.96 drivers). Yesterday, I discovered that I could no longer play Blu-Ray movies on my PC using PDVD 8 (or older). I experienced the same issue as everyone here, which is a BSOD (system_thread_exception_not_handled) almost immediately after starting any Blu-Ray movie.

This bug only rears it's ugly head after updating to Nvidia's 258 driver set, but that doesn't mean it's all Nvidia's fault. Cyberlink has never properly patched their older versions of PDVD to work with Win7. This is a pure incompatibility issue.

Anyway, I was able to workaround the problem by setting PDVD to run in compatibility mode. This should work for everyone. Just navigate to "C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\PowerDVD\" and right click "PowerDVD.exe", select "properties" and then click the "compatibility" tab at the top of the window. Next, under "compatibility mode" select "Windows XP (Service Pack 3)". Now apply your settings and you should be good to go.

*EDIT* Nevermind.... Just BSOD'd again while watching another movie. The compatibility mode definitely helped, as I was able to make it through a whole movie whereas before it would crash almost instantly. Seems we'll need a fix from Cyberlink or Nvidia. Will try some more testing.

Last edited:
So I heard back from Cyberlink (within 12 hours:eek:) and they were very quick to deny that the problem was their fault, while at the same time giving me a link to an OEM version of PowerDVD 9 along with a free registration key for it. And so far that is working beautifully.

I still haven't heard back from nVidia...

I contacted Cyberlink regarding this bug and they tried to make it sound as if the problem was on my end. They suggested that I clean my TEMP and prefetch files along with setting a custom VM size, etc... Of course, none of these steps are viable solutions as they have nothing to do with the core problem.

I'm almost positive this bug is related to PowerDVD's "hardware acceleration" feature. Sadly, Cyberlink's software will not let me disable HA. Even if I uncheck the box "Enable Hardware Acceleration (Nvidia PureVideo)" it will force it on anyway as soon as I launch a BD movie. It's a shame, because I'm positive my Core i7 920@3.6 Ghz would handle a BD movie fine by itself.

I've recently upgraded my PC and built an i5 system using the same blu-ray drive and graphics card. Funnily enough PowerDVD 8 doesn't crash any more.

I did contact Cyberlink, and their response was utterly generic - re-install drivers, change screen resolution, etc. As someone that builds their own PCs I find it insulting they should treat a customer that way. I've already provided them with the evidence that it's a generic problem with their program, and not limited to my PC alone.

They didn't offer to give me a free copy of PDVD 9 either.

Yeah, it works fine on my new PC with those drivers. Unfortunately I can't check it on my old PC without swapping the blu-ray drive and graphics card again.

Somebody will eventually do it. I would but I'm off for the weekend.

I have the same problem, EVGA geforce 460 gtx and HP 240i BD combo drive. EVerything in my build has run perfectly but I get the BSOD whenever I try to view a Bluray. I emailed Cyberlink and after much grief they finally sent me PowerDVD 9, but it doesnt work either, just another BSOD. The trial versions of PowerDVD 10 mark II and WinDVD Pro2010 workbeautifully, so I know its software not my build...if anyone has a fix please share!

Last edited:
Anyone else raised this with nVidia? I did, but I'd built the new machine by the time they responded, so didn't have the technical information to hand to give them to assess the problem.

I'd suggest anyone else who has the same problem to raise a technical report with nVidia, as it's their driver that's crashing.

I'm using the 470's with PDVD 8 that comes with the LG drives and the last non beta drivers and have no issues at all with playback

I tried the 260 beta driver last night and afterI wasable to watch 2 different blurays on powerdvd 9 perfectly. thanks!

Hello Everyone,

I have the exact same problem, I have just build a new machine:-

Intel I7 950
Asus Rampage iii gene
Gainward GTX 460 1gb
LG BluRay drive CH10LS20

I am running Windows 7 x64 with the Nvidia 258.96 display drivers

I have received Powerdvd version 8 with my bluray drive and whenever I go to play a blu ray I get the BSOD :-

101110-9609-01.dmp 11/10/2010 18:48:22 SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED 0x1000007e ffffffff`c0000094 fffff880`0ffa73db fffff880`04f603c8 fffff880`04f5fc30 nvlddmkm.sys nvlddmkm.sys+bf92d x64 C:\Windows\Minidump\101110-9609-01.dmp 8 15 7600

I have found the following article:-

http://en.kioskea.net/faq/6210-handling-nvlddmkm-sys-crash

There was a slight problem with this as I was unable to find the nvlddmkm.sys file in the nvida folder instead I found it in the following locations:-

c:\Windows\System32\drivers
C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\
C:\Windows\winsxs

I have also read articles that state by undercloking the GPU slightly should correct the issue but have had no such luck.

Just hope we can get a fix :)

I have ran a burn in test using the Sandra software and my system BSOD again during the video benchmarks:-

101110-9594-01.dmp 11/10/2010 20:38:30 0x00000116 fffffa80`084034e0 fffff880`10550c88 ffffffff`c000009a 00000000`00000004 dxgkrnl.sys dxgkrnl.sys+5cef8 x64 C:\Windows\Minidump\101110-9594-01.dmp 8 15 7600

Could it be that the Nvida drivers are dodgy?

Thank you

Last edited:
Did you update the PDVD 8 to the last build available?

Maybe it's an issue with the 460's. I've built about 40+ systems so far with the 470's and all play back Blu-ray movies fine with the updated free version of 8 that comes with the LG drive.

It's most likely a driver issue. At least 2 others have had their problems fixed with the 260 drivers. I just thought kornnutcase would eventually figure out to try what is mentioned one and two posts above his ;)

It's most likely a driver issue. At least 2 others have had their problems fixed with the 260 drivers. I just thought kornnutcase would eventually figure out to try what is mentioned one and two posts above his ;)

Hello,
Yeah sorry I saw that but it did not sound like it would resolve the issue and with the problems I am having I did not know if it was wise to use beta drivers.
I will give it a go tonight tho :)

Thank you

I had the same issue with PowerDVD 8 and a nvidia gtx 460 giving me the BSOD.

I upgraded to PowerDVD 10, and now when i start playing a blu-ray the Aero in windows disables, the screen goes blank for a second, and then comes back with PowerDVD 10 not running anymore with Aero re-enabled

i tried the fixes explained in this thread but nothing worked

Given my situation is almost the same as all on here, I agree its a driver issue. If anyone gets a specific driver version to work please let us know. Or of any other fix ;)

Back