• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

PowerDVD 8 blue screens when playing a blu-ray

Ravenger

Hi, I've recently installed a Samsung Blu-Ray drive in my PC, along with the supplied OEM PowerDVD 8 software.

However whenever I play a Blu-Ray disc my PC blue screens after a random time with this error:

SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED 0x1000007e ffffffff`c0000094 fffff880`0fee53db fffff880`033eb3c8 fffff880`033eac30 nvlddmkm.sys nvlddmkm.sys+bf92d x64

I've checked and nvlddmkm.sys is a Nvidia driver DLL, so it initially looked to be graphics driver related, but when I tried a trial of Arcsoft's blu-ray player it worked fine.

To get it working I've tried:

Updating the blu-ray drive firmware.
Updating PowerDVD to the most recent version.
Uninstalling the graphics driver, using driver cleaner and re-installing the graphics driver.
Disconnecting my original DVD-ROM drive to see if it's a power problem
Clocking my graphics card back to default clocks.

Nothing works.

The machine is otherwise stable, runs demanding games fine.

What's really annoying is it can work fine for a couple of minutes, and the blu-ray playback looks wonderful. Until it goes bang.

I have a lifetime AnyDVD subscription, but not the HD version yet.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
What graphics card is it?

It's a brand new Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB, connected to a Dell 2209WA HDCP capable monitor via DVI connection.

Latest WHQL driver installed. All games run fine with excellent performance. Blu-Ray playback works fine with the Arcsoft player trial version.

Must be something to do with how PowerDVD access's the graphics card

I have exactly the same problem and I have a new Samsung blu-ray COMBO 8X BD-R LS player and a Gigabyte GTX460 GV-N460OC-1GI, Asus P7H570-V EVO motherboard. I'm running on Windows 7-64 bit Pro. Tried the same as you, reinstalling the graphic driver, firmware update and updated the same powerDVD OEM.

Been banging my head against the wall for 3 days now and the only time I can replicate the problem is when I play blu-ray movies.

Have you made any progress on your side? I'm gonna try and see if I can get hold of some other hardware so I can isolate if it's hardware related or not.

Have you made any progress on your side? I'm gonna try and see if I can get hold of some other hardware so I can isolate if it's hardware related or not.

Sorry to hear you have the same problem. At least I know it's not just me now!

No, not made any progress yet. I have an 8800GTS I could re-install to check if it's graphic card related, but I don't want to have to go through the hassle of removing my new card and installing the old one, especially when the entire system's running really well.

It may be the 460's are so new that there's a bug in the graphics driver causing the problem, or it could be an issue with Gigabytes card bios. Might be worth contacting Gigabyte I suppose.

For now I'm just searching for a cheap piece of playback blu-ray software that isn't too crippled. Arcsoft's player works fine, but it's incredibly expensive. If only Slysoft's long announced player was ready. :(

Got some progress, I tried the trial version on PowerDVD 10. Tried with 2 movies with about 10 min each without a BSOD!(with PowerDVD8 it took from 0.5 secs to 3 min untill I got BSOD) gonna try more tomorrow but it seems like an easy fix but I'm not sure I wanna pay 50$ for that thou...

Anyway I keep you posted tomorrow when I have looked for a longer period of time.

Thanks!

I sent a support query to Gigabyte just in case it's an incompatibility with that particular card.

Probably doesn't help much, but I have no issues with 470 cards and PDVD 8

Well 3 movies without a BSOD so I guess it's something with PowerDVD 8.

Is there another good player to test a blu-ray movies except PowerDVD?

Arcsoft TotalMedia theatre 3 has a free trial. That's what I tried and that works. The problem is it's very expensive - $80.

With the price I paid for the drive that's approaching the cost of a stand-alone player!

Oh this is interesting... I was also having this issue when I installed my GTX460. I didn't pay much attention to it, I assumed something about switching hardware lots of times, and I was planning to do a full reinstall anyway. I'm not using PDVD8 anymore though, except for testing. I don't think this happens with PDVD9 or 10. Definitely doesn't happen with TMT3 or WinDVD 2010. Mine's a Palit 768MB.

Oh this is interesting... I was also having this issue when I installed my GTX460.

So it looks like a compatibility issue with the GTX460's then. That's interesting. We're getting enough evidence to approach Cyberlink, I think. Doubt they'll do anything about it though.

as far as I can tell they're not even updating PDVD 9.

as far as I can tell they're not even updating PDVD 9.

The only option would be for the retailer, Samsung or Cyberlink to supply a replacement OEM copy of PowerDVD9 or 10 that works on modern hardware.

I think we'll have great fun getting them to do that, as no doubt they'll all point the finger at each-other and say it's the other parties responsibility.

They'll likely blame the driver. Maybe with the next driver it won't happen though, who knows.

They'll likely blame the driver. Maybe with the next driver it won't happen though, who knows.

True. There's allegedly a new beta driver on the way. Might be worth looking at that when it drops.

So it looks like a compatibility issue with the GTX460's then. That's interesting. We're getting enough evidence to approach Cyberlink, I think. Doubt they'll do anything about it though.

Hi,

I have the same Problem with the following configuration:
- PowerDVD 8 with all updates
- Gainward Bliss GTX 470
- Windows 7 Pro (64 bit)
- Graphics driver version: 258.96

While playing a BD after 1-2 Minutes I see a BSOD. So not only the GTX460's are effected. A few weeks ago I could play the same BD without any failure.
I think the bug came with the last driver.
All my tests with differnt configurations (deactivated hardware acceleration in PowerDVD, disabled "Inverse Telecine", disabled antialiasing, ...) didn't change anything. After 6 or 7 restarts I give up. :(

Back