• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Popcorn hour vs WD HD TV

E

europeman

Well I already purchased the WD player so I might be SOL.

But what are everyones opinions
________
Lovely Wendie99

Last edited by a moderator:
if you are on a low budget, and only want to watch rips on a TV then why not the WD HD TV at 80 euros.

i've got the TVIX M6500A, which costs 360 euros - but i wouldn't trade it for a WD HD TV and pocket the 280 euros. also, for about 600 euros the Dune HD Center looks sweet with BD drive built in too.

not sure

The popcorn hours has some nice features. Concerned about the compatibility of DTS/Dolby etc. I am totally lost with the codecs but a 5.1 surround is fine for me.

I have it connected to a receiver by Toslink and the HDMI directly into TV.

I probably will keep it as it will be about 30 euros to return it.

I am not sure why people would want to hear audio through HDMI as the TV will not have the capabilities of a receiver.
________
LovelyWendie99

You're assuming that all people have a reciever ? I don't.

We want audio through HDMI because we want to use the HD audio CODECs and or the processing ability of our receivers. What does the capabilities of the TV as far as audio have to do with HDMI if you have a receiver? You run the HDMI cable to the receiver and from the receiver to the TV. The receiver does the audio processing and passes the video to the TV.

If you do not have a receiver then the TV processes both if it can and you only need one cable.

My receiver just has component video input and fiber/toslink audio inputs

Can you explain for me what are my limitations of sound through the WD TV box. It states that it cannot do DTS decoding I believe. I am so confused with the audio encoding and de-coding

Some movies do not have surround sound.

If you need more information just ask.

Thanks in advance
________
GLASS WEED PIPE

more information

I have a received that supports component video and fiber/coaxial digital inputs.

I am looking at an HDMI receiver but funds are a little tight at the moment
________
Wendie 99

If your receiver does not have HDMI it is a non issue for you. Use the Toslink for audio and go right to the TV with the best input type it supports. Unless you have some reason to run the video through your receiver to the TV.

If the WD player can not decode DTS then it will have to bitstream (I keep seeing pass through, is that the same thing) it to the receiver so your receiver will have to be able of decoding it. I don't have a WD player so i don't know.

Can you explain for me what are my limitations of sound through the WD TV box. It states that it cannot do DTS decoding I believe. I am so confused with the audio encoding and de-coding

Some movies do not have surround sound.

If you need more information just ask.

Thanks in advance

I use iso files with the wdtv and use the digital audio connector "out" of the wdtv to a yamaha audio receiver. Some of my titles (iso files) contain DTS and the wdtv will output DTS audio. Depending on the title, I will have multiple audio tracks on the iso file. On the wdtv remote is an "option" button that will let you control which audio file you listen to. You just don't have the luxury of 'seeing' which audio track you choose as in selecting it with a visible dvd menu. But I can visually see my audio receiver screen logos change from dolby digital to dts when cycling through the different audio tracks on the wdtv remote.

clarification

So you select the audio format from WD TV box. What happens if it outputs True HD. Does somethign down-code to a dolby format.

Also it seems to have an issue with some images. Have you had any problems with iso files.
________
HAVING SEX

http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?p=154209#post154209

My post from back in Dec, have not tried again since the update was applied to the WD. I have acquired more BR titles so I can rerun some of the tests if that would help you out at all. If so please keep in mind I do not have an HD AVR so I am still unclear if it will pass the HD audio to a capable receiver.

I am only concerned about dolby

Although I am sure HD audio is nice but my equipment does not support it either
________
LovelyWendie99

OK then,
dolby digital is good either direct to TV via HDMI (plays in stereo) or TOSLINK to receiver for 5.1

DTS only plays through TOSLINK.

Since you cant play HD audio why would you be trying to send that to your receiver? Why not downconvert or extract the core audio out to save space on your image?

I thought that it would bitstream Dolby and DTS through HDMI, not the HD versions though. They could not add that function if they wanted because the HDMI is not 1.3.

I would be curious if you played a M2TS/TS or movie only BD ISO with HD audio if it would downconvert it to the core and bitstream it through HDMI though.

I sometimes do extract just the DTS audio I think

Sometimes I find that anything but TrueHD audio is available through TSRemux.

I have tried removing through the other programs only to not be able to follow the instructions. I am sure that is me.

Which is the best and easiest program to extract audio strings
________
VOLCANO VAPORIZER BEST EVER

So you select the audio format from WD TV box. What happens if it outputs True HD. Does somethign down-code to a dolby format.

Also it seems to have an issue with some images. Have you had any problems with iso files.
I am not sure about the true hd. I would assume that if you have true hd on the video file that the wdtv is playing and you have an audio receiver that can decode that, it seems it should work. I do think it would not down-code as you say to a dolby format.

I have not had any issues with iso files as long as they are over 30 minutes in length. I use vob pass thru with dvd mobile for titles that are under 30 minutes.

It would have to downconvert it or you would get nothing because it can not decode it and send it LPCM and it can not bitstream it. It can not bitstream it because it is not an HDMI 1.3 device and optical does not have the bandwidth.

If I am wrong and it can decode it and send it LPCM via HDMI that would be nice. If it can downconvert it to core and send it bitstream via HDMI that would be nice as well.

Back