• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Playing BluRay format from HDD

Pallando

AnyDVD allows the ripping (copying) of a BD to the same file structure on the computer's HDD (minus ..\ANY!\). Is it possible to play that Blu-Ray film on the HDD from the rip?

If it's ripped to an image can it play from an ELBY Clone drive?

I'm trying to find the best way to play HDD BD back-ups straight from the hard drive.

-----
SHOOTER (2007) has a single 30GB STREAM file (.m2ts) with the entire film --from studio bling to credits ONLY -- in one single file, with full sound and clarity AND opens with Media Player. No other files even need be present. Ah, if only they were all like that...

Pallando
San Diego

As long as the BD playback software isn't idiotic then, yes, you'll be able to view a mounted image using VCD.

Playback from a HDD rip will be fine so long as the playback software support HD audio formats.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2.

Last edited:
Still unable to play HD rip.

Playback from a HDD rip will be fine so long as the playback software support HD audio formats.

Thanks, DLaD. I have PowerDVD-12. I don't think it's idiotic. It displays a Blu-Ray logo and its SELECT SOURCE icon has an option to "Open movie file on the HDD". Selecting that option provides a directory list of the network (but not to the file level).

I ripped a Potter flick to HDD with AnyDVD-HD and from the player tried selecting every dir in the BD rip, but none would start play. [It easily plays BDs in the optical drive and VIDEO_TS dirs from non-BD rips.]

Recall that my original question regards how to play an AnyDVD - BluRay back-up (copy) directly from the HDD. No luck so far. Any suggestions?

I'll try image copies next and see what becomes.

Thanks,
Pallando

Thanks. An ISO (of the Potter film) plays great using the ELBY drive.

[For the record, <rt-clk> the ISO file and and select "Mount VCD X:". Your player should jump into action.]

Pallando

Of course, all this begs the question: What good is ripping to the HDD except to use it as an intermediate, to copy to another BluRay disk. Not easy or cheap as most low-cost blank BDs are 25GB and most of the newer BR films tend to use the whole 40GB on a new BluRay disk (BD).

Another question: As I mentioned earlier, SHOOTER would play from ONE ../STREAM/ file: (oooo3.m2ts) alone in its own dir using Media Player. It can be inferred then that many if not most other files may not be needed to play the film.

Does anyone know what files are absolutely necessary to play a BD rip, short of opening every .m2ts file? And, more importantly, it would seem, which file is the key "Startup" file that will get the film going in a player?

Both PDVD 12 and TMT allow you to play from folders on the harddrive, you just have to point them at the folder that contains the BDMV & Certificate folder.

If you want to ensure that you have all the needed files then you need to use something like Clown BD or BD rebuilder and make a 'movie only' disc, many films use seamless branching so a lot of the time you can't just get 1 m2ts file and hope it plays, also not all playback software will play back the HD audio track when just playing back the file so you may end up with the movie playing back in a foreign language or with directors comments

Last edited:
Playing BluRay from a Harddrive

Thanks ADBEAR.
It seems my problem was that PowerDVD-12 was NOT Blu-Ray-compatible, even tho the splash screen implies as much. I needed "P-DVD-12_ULTRA", which I upgraded to for $49. They always find a way to nick you, don't they?(!)

Since my intent from the beginning was to play a backup from the hard drive, below is a summary of this operation in case anyone else is interested and as uninformed as I was:

1: [Playing Standard Files]: Copy or rip the BD disk to the harddrive (<rt-clk> the small fox icon in the Taskbar). Just enter the drive letter - AnyDVD will typically write the film's name to a top level dir(ectory). Ensure the subdirs: ".../BDMV/" and ".../CERTIFICATE/" exist. Should be right under the name.
. To play, use a BluRay-compatible player and select the NAME dir (which should contain the two subdirs named above) from the source selection option on the player. The player should start on its own.

2: [ISO files]: If you prefer a single file to contain your film, select "Rip to Image" using the little fox. A window will appear and ask for a "Destination Filename". I found that a dir must also be created (security issues I think) into which AnyDVD will write the .iso with the name you create as destination. Ensure that this dir/filename is selected by the Destination Folder text box.
. To play, you must have an ELBY or similar virtual drive (letter) to mount the file. Mount from Windows Explorer or equivalent by <rt-clk>-ing the ISO FILE and selecting "Mount Virtual Clone ...". The player should load your file.

Thanks to all who helped me figure this out.

Back