• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Resolved Playing back-up disc with VLC vs PowerDVD shows different initial menus (region?) (VLC is culprit)

tbessie

Hi all!

So I made a copy of my copy of a DVD set. After doing so, I opened up one of the backed-up discs (saved as a folder) with VLC, and noticed it played some background music, but didn't show any video (though it did after I forced it to go to the main menu).

Then I played the same folder using PowerDVD, and it played the files correctly (showed all the opening screens/menus/etc). I also noticed that with PowerDVD, it showed the warning notices at the start, but with VLC, it did not.

I tried both on the original disc itself, and got the exact same result as with the backed-up folder.

I tried the same thing on another computer I have AnyDVD HD installed on, and VLC played the files correctly there (with the DVD drive).

I also played the disc on my hardware player, and it played correctly.

So I looked at my AnyDVD settings on both machines, and noticed that on the machine it worked correctly on, it had "Region: 0 (not set!)" but on the one it didn't work correctly on had "Region: free".

AnyDVD is installed with the same settings on both machines.

Could this different in the region settings have an effect on VLC's interpretation of what to play back?

Not sure if this rightly falls under an AnyDVD problem or a player (VLC vs PowerDVD) and drive region problem, but since AnyDVD is running on both machines, I thought I'd post here first. I disabled AnyDVD on both machines and got the same result, tho' I don't know if AnyDVD is still active in any way when disabled.

- Tim

Hi all!

So I made a copy of my copy of a DVD set. After doing so, I opened up one of the backed-up discs (saved as a folder) with VLC, and noticed it played some background music, but didn't show any video (though it did after I forced it to go to the main menu).

Then I played the same folder using PowerDVD, and it played the files correctly (showed all the opening screens/menus/etc). I also noticed that with PowerDVD, it showed the warning notices at the start, but with VLC, it did not.

I tried both on the original disc itself, and got the exact same result as with the backed-up folder.

I tried the same thing on another computer I have AnyDVD HD installed on, and VLC played the files correctly there (with the DVD drive).

I also played the disc on my hardware player, and it played correctly.

So I looked at my AnyDVD settings on both machines, and noticed that on the machine it worked correctly on, it had "Region: 0 (not set!)" but on the one it didn't work correctly on had "Region: free".

AnyDVD is installed with the same settings on both machines.

Could this different in the region settings have an effect on VLC's interpretation of what to play back?

Not sure if this rightly falls under an AnyDVD problem or a player (VLC vs PowerDVD) and drive region problem, but since AnyDVD is running on both machines, I thought I'd post here first. I disabled AnyDVD on both machines and got the same result, tho' I don't know if AnyDVD is still active in any way when disabled.

- Tim
I'd re-rip that DVD so that you'd get a better result.

Basically, AnyDVD warns you to make sure your DVD drive is set up properly (Exit AnyDVD when you do that First!!) in the region that you get the majority of your DVDs from.

An example of why is in this link here, but there are many others you can see via a search of the Forum or via Google.

A note on DVD region:

A note on Blu-ray disc region:

:giggle:

I'd re-rip that DVD so that you'd get a better result.

I don't think that would make a difference, given that I got the same result with the disc within the drive (with AnyDVD running) as I did with the rip.

Basically, AnyDVD warns you to make sure your DVD drive is set up properly (Exit AnyDVD when you do that First!!) in the region that you get the majority of your DVDs from.

An example of why is in this link here, but there are many others you can see via a search of the Forum or via Google.

A note on DVD region:

A note on Blu-ray disc region:

:giggle:

Thanks for the pointers and info - I may set the region on the drive (to Region 1, since that's what I use most) and see if that makes a difference so that it behaves the way it does in the other drive. :)

- Tim

I don't think that would make a difference, given that I got the same result with the disc within the drive (with AnyDVD running) as I did with the rip.

Thanks for the pointers and info - I may set the region on the drive (to Region 1, since that's what I use most) and see if that makes a difference so that it behaves the way it does in the other drive. :)

- Tim
It should help you out, since I also have a copy of PowerDVD, and it plays DVDs without any issue, whether from a disc, a folder, or an ISO.

But, like you said at the top of this discussion, your original DVD rip played correctly with PowerDVD. I suspect that because the rip was done with AnyDVD not having its region set properly that you got that weird result with VLC. You should be able to get it working with VLC once you get your DVD drive region set after exiting AnyDVD.

As a test, I have an old ISO that I made with AnyDVD (the Drive was properly set) and CloneDVD2 of Schoolhouse Rock, the old ABC-TV series of animated shorts for young people made back in the 1970s and early 1980s. Using Elby's Virtual CloneDrive to enable the ISO and then to open VLC, I'm playing the DVD correctly, including menus. If I wish, I could use CloneDVD2 or DVDShrink to make a DVD folder of the ISO, or use MakeMKV and make MKVs of each song.

So to summarize, I'd strongly consider re-ripping your DVD after you've properly set your DVD drive after exiting AnyDVD.

EDIT: I've used CloneDVD2 and DVDShrink in the past to do a DVD folder after ripping it and played the folder with PowerDVD without any problems.

It should help you out, since I also have a copy of PowerDVD, and it plays DVDs without any issue, whether from a disc, a folder, or an ISO.

But, like you said at the top of this discussion, your original DVD rip played correctly with PowerDVD. I suspect that because the rip was done with AnyDVD not having its region set properly that you got that weird result with VLC. You should be able to get it working with VLC once you get your DVD drive region set after exiting AnyDVD.

As a test, I have an old ISO that I made with AnyDVD (the Drive was properly set) and CloneDVD2 of Schoolhouse Rock, the old ABC-TV series of animated shorts for young people made back in the 1970s and early 1980s. Using Elby's Virtual CloneDrive to enable the ISO and then to open VLC, I'm playing the DVD correctly, including menus. If I wish, I could use CloneDVD2 or DVDShrink to make a DVD folder of the ISO, or use MakeMKV and make MKVs of each song.

So to summarize, I'd strongly consider re-ripping your DVD after you've properly set your DVD drive after exiting AnyDVD.

EDIT: I've used CloneDVD2 and DVDShrink in the past to do a DVD folder after ripping it and played the folder with PowerDVD without any problems

I double checked the settings, and both drives have region unset OR free, depending on drive state (that is, with disc inserted it's one thing, without a disc inserted, it's another).

In any case, as an experiment, I set this drive's region to 1, and it didn't solve the problem (I suspected it wouldn't, given the above). VLC behaves the same as before.

I wonder if it has something to do with this drive. It's an ASUS BW-16D1HT, which is a much-recommended drive for DVD and Blu-Ray rips.
The other drive is a different make (I can't check right now). However, the last time I was doing rips from the computer with the ASUS, it was with a different drive firmware; I replaced it with a new drive of the same model, and it came with the 3.11 firmware, which is the newest stock firmware (the last drive came with 3.10, and then I replaced it with the MakeMKV firmware so I could rip 4K discs, but I started seeing lots of read errors on it; I tried to reflash the old firmware, but the firmware updater constantly failed, so I just got a new drive).

I'm baffled, is all I can say. :-/

- Tim

@whatever_gong82 I ripped the same DVD on both systems just now, and compared folders; most (tho' not all) files in the video folder differ.

Weird, I wonder what the differences between the drives could be that the result would differ so much!

I DID notice, however, that VLC still does show the first TITLE menu first instead of the disc menu, even in the rip (and on the drive itself) on the other drive.

@whatever_gong82 I ripped the same DVD on both systems just now, and compared folders; most (tho' not all) files in the video folder differ.

Weird, I wonder what the differences between the drives could be that the result would differ so much!

I DID notice, however, that VLC still does show the first TITLE menu first instead of the disc menu, even in the rip (and on the drive itself) on the other drive.
Just out of curiosity @tbessie, what is the name of the DVD you're trying to rip? That way, I'll see if I have it in my collection.

As a further test, please use the AnyDVD "Rip Video Disk to Harddisk" option --- right click the AnyDVD option at the bottom right of your laptop or PC-- and then try to convert it into a DVD compliant folder with the no longer developed but still effective (and FREE!) DVDShrink and see what the result would be when you try to play it with VLC and PowerDVD.

I'm really curious at what the result will be.

:)

Attachments

• Example of how to Rip DVD to Hard Drive via AnyDVD_4-1-2024.jpg
    Example of how to Rip DVD to Hard Drive via AnyDVD_4-1-2024.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 1
VLC is a bit of an odd duck. I've seen cases where it skips certain video title sets. For instance, many times I've seen it skip over the copyright warnings and the company logos. Sometimes, the previews that air before the main menu. So, I have to wonder if VLC does have the ability to skip to the main menu and load that.

VLC is a bit of an odd duck. I've seen cases where it skips certain video title sets. For instance, many times I've seen it skip over the copyright warnings and the company logos. Sometimes, the previews that air before the main menu. So, I have to wonder if VLC does have the ability to skip to the main menu and load that.
VLC, after all, is free, and sometimes you get what you paid for.

As an app to play unencrypted DVDs such as ISOs or folders (or even unprotected Blu-rays), it's usually top notch, almost as good as paid software such as PowerDVD.

But, in cases like this, some weird quirks pop up now and then.

Just out of curiosity @tbessie, what is the name of the DVD you're trying to rip? That way, I'll see if I have it in my collection.

As a further test, please use the AnyDVD "Rip Video Disk to Harddisk" option --- right click the AnyDVD option at the bottom right of your laptop or PC-- and then try to convert it into a DVD compliant folder with the no longer developed but still effective (and FREE!) DVDShrink and see what the result would be when you try to play it with VLC and PowerDVD.

I'm really curious at what the result will be.

:)

This is a DVD from my "Buffy the Vampire Slayer : The Chosen Collection" box set. Season 4, Disc 3 exhibits this issue.

I've used the "Rip Video Disk to Harddisk" option from time to time, but haven't tried it with these problem disks. I'll give it a try (and your DVDShrink suggestion - I used to use that long ago). I'll report back. :)

- Tim

This is a DVD from my "Buffy the Vampire Slayer : The Chosen Collection" box set. Season 4, Disc 3 exhibits this issue.

I've used the "Rip Video Disk to Harddisk" option from time to time, but haven't tried it with these problem disks. I'll give it a try (and your DVDShrink suggestion - I used to use that long ago). I'll report back. :)

- Tim
I don't have the Buffy disc, sorry about that one there.

:(

Otherwise, please let me know how things go on your end.

EDIT: If you also have CloneDVD2, please try to convert your disc into a folder as well, and label it differently from the one you created with DVDShrink. If you don't have CloneDVD2, they have a 21 day trial that you can use to create a DVD compliant folder, and then try them both again with VLC.

I don't have the Buffy disc, sorry about that one there.

:(

Otherwise, please let me know how things go on your end.

EDIT: If you also have CloneDVD2, please try to convert your disc into a folder as well, and label it differently from the one you created with DVDShrink. If you don't have CloneDVD2, they have a 21 day trial that you can use to create a DVD compliant folder, and then try them both again with VLC.

Oh, I didn't state it in my initial post, but these are all rips done with CloneDVD2 ripped into folders.
I also have Virtual Clone Drive.

I ripped to folders, and also to an ISO, from the AnyDVD menu.
Interestingly, a couple of files differ in it from the CloneDVD2 folder rip, but fewer differences than when done on the other drive.

The folder rip from the AnyDVD menu, and the ISO rip when mounted with Virtual Clone Drive, play the same way as the CloneDVD2 rip when played with VLC (i.e. no video, just 1st TITLE menu audio playing).

Not sure testing with DVDShrink would matter here - it seems that this drive does rips in some way that trips up VLC (but again, not PowerDVD).

Very mysterious!

VLC, after all, is free, and sometimes you get what you paid for.

As an app to play unencrypted DVDs such as ISOs or folders (or even unprotected Blu-rays), it's usually top notch, almost as good as paid software such as PowerDVD.

But, in cases like this, some weird quirks pop up now and then.

That is true about what you get versus what you pay for free software. :) I use MPC-HC myself and I've encountered a few oddities here and there with DVD playback issues. Some DVD's just don't start at all, stuck at a blank screen, or they play with audio but a blank screen. Some navigation issues where button commands just don't work, etc.

That is true about what you get versus what you pay for free software. :) I use MPC-HC myself and I've encountered a few oddities here and there with DVD playback issues. Some DVD's just don't start at all, stuck at a blank screen, or they play with audio but a blank screen. Some navigation issues where button commands just don't work, etc.
+1 on MPC-HC. The fun thing is that I like to play around with software, especially if it's free and not malware and spyware infested.

I always check sites like this one to vet any app that I'm checking out.

There is a variant of MPC-HC available, MPC-BE, Black Edition.

MPC-BE isn't as actively updated as MPC-HC. HC coincidentally had an update as of yesterday.

I have installed VLC, MPC-HC and MPC-BE. I have yet to find a video disc or video file I can't play. If one player doesn't work as expected I use another.

Back