• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Playing a Blu-Ray movie

liquidcable

I think I'm missing something very basic... what program can I use to just play a blu-ray movie. I've got AnyDVD HD installed and running, but it doesn't look like VLC can play blu-ray yet.

I think I'm missing something very basic... what program can I use to just play a blu-ray movie. I've got AnyDVD HD installed and running, but it doesn't look like VLC can play blu-ray yet.

Correct, you need something like PowerDVD or Arcsoft Total Media Player.

VLC can *sort of* play Blu-Ray. If you have AnyDVD running, you can open the .m2ts files in BDMV/STREAM directly.

VLC can *sort of* play Blu-Ray. If you have AnyDVD running, you can open the .m2ts files in BDMV/STREAM directly.

Then he'll be posting about why he only hears the spanish soundtrack. Since he is new to this right now, the last thing I would do is to go rooting around the BD structure to play naked m2ts files.

With the deals and coupons that can be found many places (such as this website), it's easy to simply purchase a copy of TotalMedia Theater or PowerDVD and play back the original disk or ISOs.

Now, if he wants to take the time to learn how to make mkvs, then he can download free players as the payoff for spending the learning time.

However, in no circumstance would I recommend that someone just starting out play m2ts files directly.

I think we're going to end up need another sticky on this topic because I constantly see such horribly bad advice as "just open the m2ts file". Look, that's great, but, clearly if you're recommending such bad advice, you've never heard of or seen seamless branching titles. What do you do then, keep loading them in what you believe to be the right order? :rolleyes: If you want a freeware solution, google for MPC-HC and ffdshow. If set up correctly, and there are great guides to help with that, you can open the blu-ray from a folder or mounted ISO. You can even open the MPLS file directly. This gives you chapters and a way to play movie only...for free. If you want menus and special features, grab yourself a copy of ArcSoft TMT3, PDVD10, or WinDVD 2010. All have their pluses and minuses.

Have you got a video card that can handle high def movie and a high def monitor? If not you'll need to get one of each.
But why watch a blu ray movie on a small monitor? It's better on a 50" TV or bigger. Now I see they're putting blu ray DVD players in vans. What a waste.
I recommend Total Media 3 from Arc Soft.

I think we're going to end up need another sticky on this topic because I constantly see such horribly bad advice as "just open the m2ts file". Look, that's great, but, clearly if you're recommending such bad advice, you've never heard of or seen seamless branching titles. What do you do then, keep loading them in what you believe to be the right order? :rolleyes: If you want a freeware solution, google for MPC-HC and ffdshow. If set up correctly, and there are great guides to help with that, you can open the blu-ray from a folder or mounted ISO. You can even open the MPLS file directly. This gives you chapters and a way to play movie only...for free. If you want menus and special features, grab yourself a copy of ArcSoft TMT3, PDVD10, or WinDVD 2010. All have their pluses and minuses.

Windvd trial wont run, pdvd10 plays fine-but audio/video sync problems on all discs. tmt plays them in sync but disables aero which causes problems. I cant win.

Disabling aero shouldn't cause any problems for playback of Blu-ray and it re-enables once you close the software. The fact that PDVD plays out of sync implies there's an issue on your system. What are the system specs?

because as soon as aero is disabled awful lines & tearing acurs. At its best TMT3 plays a blu-ray with tearing on the 1080p monitor. some conflict with gpu drivers or time for new gpu?

system specs.

vista 32bit
4GB ram
HD4650 agp
i7870
gigabyte Motherboard P55-7A89TG04C
Running two screens. 30"LCD on Dual link. 1080p screen on VGA.

If its my system, id love to know the problem.

Turning aero off should make it better not worse, as it uses less gpu in non aero mode. I suspect something is messed up on your system, or your graphics card is faulty.

Windvd trial wont run, pdvd10 plays fine-but audio/video sync problems on all discs. tmt plays them in sync but disables aero which causes problems. I cant win.

Welcome to the world of commercial players on the PC. :D TMT at least has a patch that can keep aero enabled during playback. You can find it on the ArcSoft forum. It says it's for build 180, but, it can be safely applied to 185.

Back