• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Plain & Simple...

Spirit Wolfe

As I have been browsing and reading through this forum I was pondering a few thoughts:

After I ripped my DVDs to my hard drive all I want to do is basically re-write the ripped DVDs back onto a DVD without much loss, (if any)...

Is it easier to directly imprint the movie from my hard drive and burn to the correct size DVD? Using, what, a program like ImageBurn or, since I already have NERO 7 can use that as well?

Or, what is the best program (like Nero Recode) to shave a little here or there without disturbing the multi-channel audio and the video quality of the movie and the Menu Root Sequence without me getting "dead spots" within the menu structure? In my case, since I only speak english I know I can get rid of the other language audio tracks, to save more space. And then get the DVD to maybe fit on a DVD+R 8.5GB disc.

Right now I am going back to school, on line, so money is a little short right now.

I do not mind getting the 8.5GB DVD+R if I absolutely need them. But, again, if I can shave some of the fat off the movie and still keep the overall msin intrgrity maybe I do n ot kneed the DVR 8.5GB discs after all...

Any suggestions? Thanks.

For dvd-5 (single layer)
Clonedvd (for ease of use with Anydvd) and DVD Rebuilder (for picture quality)

For dvd-9 (+R DL)
Clonecd (and/or Imgburn)

Okay, I do not know if you'd ever heard of or tried the AVS4YOU.com's Suite of Programs it includes the AVS Video Converter 6. I needed the Authoring Program to create a custom DVD menu for a family members' Remembrance/Memorial DVD. Anyway, the key got me the use of another of their 25 programs and I liked the Video Converter for my ZEN MP3 player. But I noticed it could also recode the DVD to a smaller bitrate so I could fit a 7 ~ 8GB (DVD-9) movie on a (DVD-5) DVD+R.

I also have Nero's 7 (Full version). I just cannot afford to purchase anything else in the way of programs (although I'd like to get both CLONE DVD/CD) right now because I am on medical leave right now, doctor's orders! :agree:

But the most inexpensive way I can do this is what I want, WS. Even though it may not be the easiest.

If I can just copy the movie onto a DVD+R I would. Can just copying the movie onto a DVD+R DL be just as effective?

If you use Nero Recode (which you own) and re-author just the main movie out of the Rip - and compress that to fit a DVD-5 you'll see very little quality loss in most cases. In many cases it will fit with NO compression needed at all.

Just take the Main Movie and the audio track of the language you want - leave the menus and bonus junk behind to save room.

If you must fit the whole thing on a DVD-5 then use DVD Rebuilder to insure better quality of compression like Mr. Slinger said.

-W

Okay, I do not know if you'd ever heard of or tried the AVS4YOU.com's

Yes, both Dvd-Shrink (freeware) and Nero Recode (which you already own) produce better PQ than the product you're mentioning. These all use transcoders as does Clonedvd. Transcoders produce inferior quality picture than encoders. Dvd-Rebuilder comes bundled with a freeware encoder. Encoders, however, take longer to compress than transcoders.

I will not assist with supporting anything other than products sold by Slysoft on these forums. I just don't have the time.

I needed the Authoring Program to create a custom DVD menu for a family members' Remembrance/Memorial DVD

You can do that already in Nero. But again, I will not be supporting Nero here. Nero has it's own official support options.

But the most inexpensive way I can do this is what I want, WS.

Anydvd + Dvd-Shrink (freeware) + DVD-Rebuilder (freeware)

a) Use "rip video dvd to harddisk" with Anydvd
b) Import the rip into Shrink. Use Dvd-Shrink to extract the main movie (do not compress)
c) Use Dvd Rebuilder with HC encoder (freeware) to compress

Dvd Rebuilder also has its own forums and support options.

Can just copying the movie onto a DVD+R DL be just as effective?

I thought you said you wanted to save money?

Last edited:
Thanks for the simplification, Webslinger!

Yes, both Dvd-Shrink (freeware) and Nero Recode (which you already own) produce better PQ than the product you're mentioning. These all use transcoders as does Clonedvd. Transcoders produce inferior quality picture than encoders. Dvd-Rebuilder comes bundled with a freeware encoder. Encoders, however, take longer to compress than transcoders.

Is this because transcoders utilize a variable algorithm and regurgitate the output to the same format it started with, but just within a smaller bit-rate?

I will not assist with supporting anything other than products sold by Slysoft on these forums. I just don't have the time.

Understood.

You can do that already in Nero. But again, I will not be supporting Nero here. Nero has it's own official support options.

Ditto...

Anydvd + Dvd-Shrink (freeware) + DVD-Rebuilder (freeware)

a) Use "rip video dvd to harddisk" with Anydvd
b) Import the rip into Shrink. Use Dvd-Shrink to extract the main movie (do not compress)
c) Use Dvd Rebuilder with HC encoder (freeware) to compress

Dvd Rebuilder also has its own forums and support options.

This will greatly help me out. When there is more than one way to skin the same cat I will gladly be the first one to let someone else take the lead especially when they know more about the subject than I do! :p

I thought you said you wanted to save money?

I do! I jsut wanted to know if this was a good option or not? :agree:

Is this because transcoders utilize a variable algorithm and regurgitate the output to the same format it started with, but just within a smaller bit-rate?

click http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?sp=876954#post876954
Read the fourth paragraph.

I suggest asking your questions concerning the difference between transcoders and encoders on the Doom9 forums.

I do! I jsut wanted to know if this was a good option or not?

It's the best option because you don't have to compress video at all. You should really only be using Verbatim +R DL (preferably made in Singapore) or MAM-A +R DL.

But you said you wanted the cheapest option, and +R DL blanks are always going to cost more than single layer blanks.

Back